Sailor Moon Ice Show - Evgenia Medvedeva and many other skating stars | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sailor Moon Ice Show - Evgenia Medvedeva and many other skating stars

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Hardly a surprise.

Now for the next question: what happens to Evgenia, since she so foolishly went to Japan? Is she stuck there now? Will Canada allow her back in?

Maybe she'll go to Russia?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Hardly a surprise.

Now for the next question: what happens to Evgenia, since she so foolishly went to Japan? Is she stuck there now? Will Canada allow her back in?
Foolish?
She already said weeks ago on her instagram that she had no choice and had to go to Japan. Sounded like contractual obligations.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Foolish?
She already said weeks ago on her instagram that she had no choice and had to go to Japan. Sounded like contractual obligations.

Then if so she has a dreadful contract lawyer.

Yes, foolish, and irresponsible. When she left the world was already in the grip of a global pandemic and everyone was being told to stay home. It was obvious that her ice show would not go ahead.

ribbit

On the Ice
Then if so she has a dreadful contract lawyer.

Yes, foolish, and irresponsible. When she left the world was already in the grip of a global pandemic and everyone was being told to stay home. It was obvious that her ice show would not go ahead.

That's unfair and ungenerous. The Japanese government has not adopted the package of shutdown measures or stay-at-home orders seen in other countries, so it may not have been "obvious" to the organizers of the show--who are presumably themselves bound by contracts that include heavy financial penalties for cancellation in the absence of an official declaration of emergency--that the show would not go ahead. Companies in many industries (including my own) are insisting on enforcing contract provisions to the letter, if enforcement benefits them financially. In some cases, only state or federal declarations of emergency have provided the legal cover to cancel an event without incurring devastating financial penalties, which in turn forces those companies and organizations to enforce their own contracts until a government declaration enables a whole cascade of cancellations and releases.

As a partially self-supporting skater, Evgenia may not have been in a position to break a contract with a powerful and prominent employer, especially in one of the two countries where she earns most of her income and where most of the employment opportunities in her profession are located. And especially not at a moment when the prospects for any skaters to earn income through skating are evaporating faster than an ice surface in the Sahara Desert. Evgenia appears to have scrupulously observed all of Japan's quarantine requirements and travel restrictions, which may genuinely have been the best she could do.

It's a privilege to be able to give up work in an economic collapse, and it's a privilege that Evgenia may not have.

Amei

Record Breaker
That's unfair and ungenerous. The Japanese government has not adopted the package of shutdown measures or stay-at-home orders seen in other countries, so it may not have been "obvious" to the organizers of the show--who are presumably themselves bound by contracts that include heavy financial penalties for cancellation in the absence of an official declaration of emergency--that the show would not go ahead. Companies in many industries (including my own) are insisting on enforcing contract provisions to the letter, if enforcement benefits them financially. In some cases, only state or federal declarations of emergency have provided the legal cover to cancel an event without incurring devastating financial penalties, which in turn forces those companies and organizations to enforce their own contracts until a government declaration enables a whole cascade of cancellations and releases.

As a self-supporting skater, Evgenia may not have been in a position to break a contract with a powerful and prominent employer, especially in one of the two countries where she earns most of her income and where most of the employment opportunities in her profession are located. And especially not at a moment when the prospects for any skaters to earn income through skating are evaporating faster than an ice surface in the Sahara Desert. Evgenia appears to have scrupulously observed all of Japan's quarantine requirements and travel restrictions, which may genuinely have been the best she could do.

It's a privilege to be able to give up work in an economic collapse, and it's a privilege that Evgenia may not have.

Agree with everything you said - this wasn't a vacation for her, it was to perform in a work event in probably one of the few countries where skaters can make a good living doing ice shows still. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out that the show still went on, but Evgenia needed to make sure she was there if it did go on; this showed the organizers that she was serious and willing to do what's necessary to work.

And while the show didn't happen, last I had seen was that the Rika was still training, so perhaps the benefit in Evgenia's favor might be that she can go to a rink and train somewhat still, sure she will be coachless but they can certainly facetime and something is better than nothing.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Foolish?

Nothing stopping her from going back now. Unless her contract states that she has to remain for another 14 months.

icetug

Medalist
Nothing stopping her from going back now.

Sure. But it's obvious that overall situation is still better in any part of Japan than in Moscow or Toronto. So why should she go back (and where? to Toronto or to Moscow? or to any other place in Russia?) in the moment while ice rinks are available and she can have her coaches supervising her via internet all the time?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sure. But it's obvious that overall situation is still better in any part of Japan than in Moscow or Toronto. So why should she go back (and where? to Toronto or to Moscow? or to any other place in Russia?) in the moment while ice rinks are available and she can have her coaches supervising her via internet all the time?

With the state of emergency declared, there may not be a rink available...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I doubt if she could go back to Toronto. As I understand it, Canada has closed its borders to everyone except citizens, permanent residents, and "essential workers" from the US (like long-haul truckers delivering avocados, auto parts, and N95 masks).

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

She certainly ain't going anywhere but Russia. Is she so estranged from her family that that wouldn't be a better option?

And forget about ice rinks. This is isn't about skating right now.

Amei

Record Breaker
She certainly ain't going anywhere but Russia. Is she so estranged from her family that that wouldn't be a better option?

And forget about ice rinks. This is isn't about skating right now.

Don't forget when you say 'forget about ice rinks' - that for top level athletes this is isn't a hobby this is their job, it's how they support themselves and for some of them it's how they support their families.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

As far as I'm aware actually, there are no ice rinks, they're all closed, because it's a state of emergency that was really, really obvious was going to happen. And Japan isn't better than Toronto or Moscow. It's about to really hit the fan there. So I doubt there'll be many flights, and I doubt Canada would let her back in. So she's stuck, because she foolishly chose to travel during a global pandemic.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Looks like it. Thought to have read somewhere that Aeroflot has suspended all incoming flights, including evacuation flights.
According to Tass, the last evacuation flight the Sports Ministry facilitated landed April 17: https://tass.ru/sport/8267511 , its occupants were all put in quarantine at 'Round Lake' training base, which is closest to Sheremetyevo airport.

Russia's heavy handed approach to the crisis doesn't seem very intelligent nor sustainable by public morale, and about its effectiveness one can have doubts too. But it makes the authorities look like 'we are in control'.

Wether she applied to a Russian embassy for evacuation, we don't know. Japan is a civilised and orderly country, as opposed to some tourist destinations most of the evacuated came from.
Hopefully for Medvyedeva, her 'irrefutable reason to travel' include unlimited stay and hospitality at the host's expense. So at least she is safe and comfortable.

Her position is not unique, most free-lance dancers, musicians, artists, entertainers who are young and adventurous live the lives of modern nomads, travelling the world over from gig to gig. All of them are currently out of work, often stuck abroad and unable to claim any immediate social benefits from their national governments.

With the pandemic not under control, short term work prospects are nil at the moment. Who knows for how long? Local governments, city mayors are already starting to cancel all organised mass gatherings into 2021.
When theatres, concert halls, entertainment venues eventually open again, with social distancing rules it won't be getting any easier to accommodate spectators, let alone get a full house to recover expenses. Max 20% of the seats occupied means ticket prices have to rise five fold? And who is going to pay such a price, plus deal with the fact there will be no restauration and strict rules everywhere, hardly a fun evening out I'd imagine?

Imagine a symphony orchestra or ballet troupe with 6' distance at all times? Sporting in face masks?

Small interesting fact, after 200 days in space, a space station crew landed back on Earth, finding their home planet almost an alien place ....

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia's heavy handed approach to the crisis doesn't seem very intelligent nor sustainable by public morale, and about its effectiveness one can have doubts too. But it makes the authorities look like 'we are in control'.

Whether one is complaining about Russia's "heavy handed approach" or having political demonstrations against US governors who had the courage to do the right thing to reduce deaths from the virus and flatten the curve so that medical institutions get less overwhelmed, everyone ought to read this article about St. Louis during the 1918 pandemic. The city health commissioner had the foresight to do the unpopular thing (closing schools, movie theaters, saloons, sporting events, etc.) and the city of St. Louis, as shown by historical statistics, fared much better than so many other cities. St. Louis at the time was one of the top 10 biggest cities in the US.

St. Louis saw the deadly 1918 Spanish flu epidemic coming. Shutting down the city saved countless lives. -- "Shutting Down Town," by Blythe Bernhard, St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Amei

Record Breaker
Looks like it. Thought to have read somewhere that Aeroflot has suspended all incoming flights, including evacuation flights.
According to Tass, the last evacuation flight the Sports Ministry facilitated landed April 17: https://tass.ru/sport/8267511 , its occupants were all put in quarantine at 'Round Lake' training base, which is closest to Sheremetyevo airport.

Wether she applied to a Russian embassy for evacuation, we don't know. Japan is a civilised and orderly country, as opposed to some tourist destinations most of the evacuated came from.
Hopefully for Medvyedeva, her 'irrefutable reason to travel' include unlimited stay and hospitality at the host's expense. So at least she is safe and comfortable.

Her position is not unique, most free-lance dancers, musicians, artists, entertainers who are young and adventurous live the lives of modern nomads, travelling the world over from gig to gig. All of them are currently out of work, often stuck abroad and unable to claim any immediate social benefits from their national governments.

With the pandemic not under control, short term work prospects are nil at the moment. Who knows for how long? Local governments, city mayors are already starting to cancel all organised mass gatherings into 2021.

What about Russia's approach is out of the norm? I live in the US and my state is under lockdown: all non-essential businesses are closed, people can only go out for essential needs like doctor visits and to go grocery shopping, some state governments have even required stores that are deemed to be essential to have 'non-essential' items roped off where customers cannot access them, mandatory quarantines not just if someone traveled outside the US but if you traveled 60 miles across the state line into another state you are required to quarantine for 14 days. From what I've heard on the news this is pretty much the norm across the US, Canada, and most of Europe. I read that France has ordered Amazon to stop filling orders of non-essential items.

Gabby30

On the Ice
What about Russia's approach is out of the norm? I live in the US and my state is under lockdown: all non-essential businesses are closed, people can only go out for essential needs like doctor visits and to go grocery shopping, some state governments have even required stores that are deemed to be essential to have 'non-essential' items roped off where customers cannot access them, mandatory quarantines not just if someone traveled outside the US but if you traveled 60 miles across the state line into another state you are required to quarantine for 14 days. From what I've heard on the news this is pretty much the norm across the US, Canada, and most of Europe. I read that France has ordered Amazon to stop filling orders of non-essential items.

And it's getting even better. In my tiny country in central Europe, we're not allowed to go anywhere without masks AND gloves, municipalities are closed, that's why there are police controls across the country. I'm working outside of my municipality ( yes, some of us still have to go to work), and i got a piece of paper that allows my "migration" for "work reasons", otherwise you're not allowed to leave. Oh, and the police wants to spy our phones to check if we're breaking quarantine rules. I feel like we're living in 1940 or something 🙄

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Don't forget when you say 'forget about ice rinks' - that for top level athletes this is isn't a hobby this is their job, it's how they support themselves and for some of them it's how they support their families.

Yes, I know that. I'm out of work myself now. Still more important to say safe at this point.

icetug

Medalist
So she's stuck, because she foolishly chose to travel during a global pandemic.

I wouldn't say "foolishly" and I wouldn't say "chose". And we all get stuck. Being Evgenia, is it worse to get stuck in Japan than in Canada or Russia? That's what only she knows. She got invitation and she knew both circumstances and conditions we don't know. So how any of us can judge her travel?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The ice show was postponed to 2021 (June 4-5, 2021) due to Covid-19. Evgenia may have to fly out of Japan on a charter flight because international flights were suspended between Russia and Japan. Dozens of Russian travellers stuck in Tokyo were transported to Vladivostok on a Russian government charter flight. Russia decided to evacuate all Russian citizens in this manner.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200414_28/