Skate Canada Updates ISU Championships Teams | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Updates ISU Championships Teams

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada announced today that Nam Nguyen, Alicia Pineault, Evelyn Walsh, Trennt Michaud, Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen have been added to the world championships team.
Skate Canada also added the following skaters to the junior world team, Kelly Ann Laurin, Loucas Ethier, Emmy Bronsard, Aissa Bouaraguia, Miku Makita and Tyler Gunara.

2020 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
MONTREAL, CANADA – MARCH 16-22, 2020
MEN
Nam Nguyen
WOMEN
Alicia Pineault
TBD*
PAIR
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sørensen

2020 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
TALLINN, ESTONIA – MARCH 2-8, 2020
MEN
Stephen Gogolev
Joseph Phan
WOMEN
Kaiya Ruiter
TBD*
PAIR
Patricia Andrew / Zachary Daleman
Kelly Ann Laurin / Loucas Ethier
ICE DANCE
Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell
Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia
Miku Makita / Tyler Gunara

*The TBD entries for both the senior and junior women will be named on February 23, 2020.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
:hap85: Yay, Laurence and Nikolaj!

I thought that Emily had been chosen for junior worlds, although I guess there are 2 substitutes listed :think:

I'm so happy to see Miku and Tyler there too.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aww, such a short list... but going to cheer like crazy in Montreal for the team!

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
:hap85: Yay, Laurence and Nikolaj!

I thought that Emily had been chosen for junior worlds, although I guess there are 2 substitutes listed :think:

I'm so happy to see Miku and Tyler there too.

I'm guessing they want to send Emily to senior worlds if she gets her minimums next week, but if she doesn't, then she'll go to junior worlds

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I can't really argue with their decisions as Nam did get the higher score at FCC and he was more consistent over the Grand Prix series. Although Keegan is higher in the world standings overall, the 19-20 world rankings has Nam over Keegan. The only real argument to send Keegan is that his short program score is consistently higher than Nam's and when he skates well, he is rewarded better than Nam is when Nam skates well.

I feel bad for Caroline and Shane. They are very good but, for whatever reason, they haven't improved as much as the other couples and unfortunately, their programs this year (especially the Free) isn't very inspired.

dancelion21

On the Ice
It was the right choice to choose Nam over Keegan and Roman. Hopefully, he can place top ten this year and give Canada a slightly easier choice next year.

I'm happy that the Canadanes are going, and they definitely have a better chance of keeping three spots for Canada than S/F. Even if the Canadanes aren't at their best, S/F have been so inconsistent all season that F-B/S are still the better choice. At their best, F-B/S can be 8th, and then G/P need to be 5th or better to maintain three spots, which is definitely doable. G/P probably can't hope for better than 3rd at Worlds, and L/L and S/F are very unlikely to be top ten, so Canada would likely lose its three spots without F-B/S.

Canadian ladies should enjoy the two spots while they have them, because I think it's all but certain that Canada will only have one spot come next year.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
For what I saw at 4CC they should send Alison Schumacher in whichever team she can get the minimums for, she was the strongest Canadian lady there in the FS. But then, I'm no expert on Canadian ladies :shrug:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Canada hasn't really had much to cheer about. The Danadians/Canadanes might be a win so to speak just that they can compete. Sadly Lsquared and SF just aren't going to make top ten. Hopefully the Danadians are ready to go and fully healed and practised. I think GP need to be 3rd or 4th and preferably 3rd because you have 3 Americans, 2 russians, France, italy, with the lack of practice Britain and maybe one other team - Russia no. 3 who could be ahead of them. Though I guess the key is for the Danadians to be preferably ahead of both USA and Russia no. 3.

heartyxo

On the Ice
My prediction for Piper and Paul is 4th/5th (with HD in some order and PC SK and CB as the likely top 3). If Laurence and Nik had done a full season at the level that they did the GP I’d say they were locks for 8th (PC SK CB HD GP SB GF being the clear top 7) and I think they could definitely get 8th if they’re at full strength. That means G/P would have to get 5th, which is definitely doable.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My prediction for Piper and Paul is 4th/5th (with HD in some order and PC SK and CB as the likely top 3). If Laurence and Nik had done a full season at the level that they did the GP I’d say they were locks for 8th (PC SK CB HD GP SB GF being the clear top 7) and I think they could definitely get 8th if they’re at full strength. That means G/P would have to get 5th, which is definitely doable.

I agree but I think with the injury 9th is more realistic. It will be a nail biter. Nam earned his spot. Yes, Keegan has a higher scoring potential but based on the last year he has overall other than beating Nam by one spot at worlds has been defeated. Let him heal. Roman has potential but is not as consistent yet and is still making a name for himself but he could be a Jason Brown do I dare say with a quad. The ladies are doing their best but their three best hopes right now are not eligible or hurting Kaiya, Aurora and Gabby.
\

heartyxo

On the Ice
I agree but I think with the injury 9th is more realistic. It will be a nail biter.
\

Agree. We can't expect them to be at full strength. And there are literally about 7 teams fighting for the last 3 spots in the top 10. It's exciting!

rain

Record Breaker
Looks like they really, really want to send Emily to senior worlds if at all possible. Interesting.

Hope this means that Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson are going to be at least close to 100 per cent for worlds.

Definitely no surprises here, except the ladies spot remaining open.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wonder if Charlie with Julianne as his partner, could have made it to Montreal Worlds...oh well. :confused2:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
For what I saw at 4CC they should send Alison Schumacher in whichever team she can get the minimums for, she was the strongest Canadian lady there in the FS. But then, I'm no expert on Canadian ladies :shrug:

Schumacher actually already has the minimums for seniors, so I'm hoping if Bausback doesn't get them, they pick her.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Wonder if Charlie with Julianne as his partner, could have made it to Montreal Worlds...oh well. :confused2:

Does anyone know what Julianne is doing these days? At the time of the break with Charlie, she had said she planned to continue, but I don't believe I’ve heard anything since.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know what Julianne is doing these days? At the time of the break with Charlie, she had said she planned to continue, but I don't believe I’ve heard anything since.
She was doing some minor coaching stuff at some domestic events earlier in the year, I believe. I don't think, at this point, she's contemplating returning.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

The problem might be her sp might not qualify for the fs.