Skate Canada Updates ISU Championships Teams | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Updates ISU Championships Teams

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agree. We can't expect them to be at full strength. And there are literally about 7 teams fighting for the last 3 spots in the top 10. It's exciting!

So true. China, USA, Russia, Canada, Britain, I thought there was an Eastern Bloc team as well as I guess France or Italy? I am drawing a blank right now).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wonder if Charlie with Julianne as his partner, could have made it to Montreal Worlds...oh well. :confused2:

I think it is a reasonable assumption. Didn't they do really well at worlds one year. I thought fourth but that seems high But they could have been like MT and Dylan - the second Canadian team? But such is life decisions were made. I know it is not all strength but desite Mt's probablem's tis yer Marinaro just doesn't seem to have the best technique or strength.

Roo87

Medalist
Wonder if Charlie with Julianne as his partner, could have made it to Montreal Worlds...oh well. :confused2:

Most definitely, I would have placed money on it. They had one recent bad outing (worlds 2018). He can say they were plagued by injuries all her wants, but their performance at the Olympics was fantastic. The worlds in an Olympic year is never easy, look at poor Zagitova, she went on to win 2019.

Obviously I'm still bitter lol.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Most definitely, I would have placed money on it. They had one recent bad outing (worlds 2018). He can say they were plagued by injuries all her wants, but their performance at the Olympics was fantastic. The worlds in an Olympic year is never easy, look at poor Zagitova, she went on to win 2019.
Charlie, it must be said, was in a much better position to assess where the team was and what its prospects were than anybody here. They did have a good Olympics, but that was the brightest spot in what was otherwise a fairly disappointing last few seasons.

I haven't been keeping up with Team Canada. Is Gabby in the running for that Worlds spot?
While we obviously don't have access SC's internal deliberations, they haven't mentioned her in any discussions relating to the spot, so I don't think so -- which I'd say is for the best.

rain

Record Breaker
All the panicking over Charlie and Lubov and saying they need to change coaches is nuts, IMO. They haven't even been together a full year. Give it some time, for goodness sake.

My biggest hope for them is that next season they choose better music to skate to. Please, please, do not keep these programs.

withwings

On the Ice

I do not like engage in speculations at all...but...sorry, I am tempted to say- yes, of course he would. They had "IT" factor, they where a pair with a personalityy; they were like no any other pair.

Now Charlie is with Luba and good luck to them! Past is past and present is present.
IMHO Luba and Charlie do have an exceptional coach. If there is a coach who could help Luba with her jump problems, Gauthier is the one.
As for Charlie, humbling experience sometimes is worth of gold medal and, at the same time, if taken in right spirit, it is a god ticket for the success.

withwings

On the Ice
All the panicking over Charlie and Lubov and saying they need to change coaches is nuts, IMO. They haven't even been together a full year. Give it some time, for goodness sake.

My biggest hope for them is that next season they choose better music to skate to. Please, please, do not keep these programs.

I agree re music selection.
Who is panicking that they need a coaching change?? I never read anything like that, what I have missed?

I personally do not feel them as a pair. Luba somehow does not blend with Charlie, neither she did with Dylan. But it is only my personal impression/opinion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Aw, man. Poor Roman!

I think he has huge potential and really all three = Nam, Keegan and Roman could be in the top ten even higher but he needs to get some experience with pressure. The door was open for him and he cracked. Canada really needs three spots next year. One for experience, one to develop and one inbetween in respect to levels of experience. Nam better bring it. I wonder if Roman and Keegan will be cheering Nam on. I wonder if those crazy Canucks can buy those noodles for like swiming and red and white and do nthe Nam Noodle Wave? I wonder if Patrick cold give Name a few free lessons for skating skills. Maybe someone can donate Nam some slighlty more flashy or showy outfits to complement the programs. I am sure the Canadian fans will cheer ont thier own but turthfully my guess they won't really know the ladies too well other than the parents and friends.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I haven't been keeping up with Team Canada. Is Gabby in the running for that Worlds spot?

Oy. You just opened up a wound and rubbed salt in it. It would appear Gabby is tragically/sadly done for this year. I say that because I think shesadly might not do that badly atworlds comparedtowhoever they send. AT least the fans will know her. But two very lucky Canadian ladies will get their chance and probably we won't see them at worlds again or at least for a while. Hopefully Aurora, Kaiya and Gabby will bring it next year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know this isn't happening and maybe Gabby has given up this season but realy nothing against these hard workingladies they don't bring about much hope. I would have Gabby practising and give her a try out and monitor her. These ladies are like rolling a dice and even at their best they just would like making it to the freeskate. It is possible canada doesn't make it to the ffs either lady. Tragic but yes. Even wit inflated nationals their top skater had like116 pts and change.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

I didn’t mind their music. Actually, I think I liked it more than that of other of our pairs/ID. The one I really want to see changed next season is M-T/M... I am not sure where the music comes for both their skates, and if it is super-popular or something, but I don’t like it. :slink:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oy. You just opened up a wound and rubbed salt in it. It would appear Gabby is tragically/sadly done for this year. I say that because I think shesadly might not do that badly atworlds comparedtowhoever they send. AT least the fans will know her. But two very lucky Canadian ladies will get their chance and probably we won't see them at worlds again or at least for a while. Hopefully Aurora, Kaiya and Gabby will bring it next year.

Kaiya Ruiter is 14 but her birthday is after July 1, so she won't be able to skate as a senior until the Olympic year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There is no use speculating of what could have been but it is our nature on this forum. Arguably in 3 discipline Canada' did not necessarily got their highest potentialor someone was picked over another skater/team which had hihger scoring potential. Starting in pairs while the first spot was obvious and Ilike Walsh and Michaud but they do not have the scoring potential of I/B but i/b didn't get the job done. Maybe WM will surprise many ofY us and beat at least one American team. Forget the tricks this team is good but not able to grab the attention f the judges. In men Keegan and perhamainly due e to Roman had higher scoring potential due to pcs had higher scoring potential than Nam but Nam has beenconssitently doing better. In the ladies well right now a healthy mentally and physically Gabby has a lot more scoring potential than any C anadian right now. Iis unfortunate that the Canadanes are coming back from injury. It will be tight time wise. He was on crutches in the middle of January! He will end up with like 4 weeks of serious training Here's hoping. i think three spots will be hard unless the judges reward Gilles and Porier a bit more which is not unwarranted but unlikely. You get the sense there will be PC and then an American and Russian on the podium. I think GP can beat the Italians but beating both the "second" Americans and Russians is a tall order especially since whoever is second from these nations could easily beat their higher ranked teammates. O Canada.

slider11

Medalist

I love Charlie and Lubov and I agree that they are so new that making any long term predictions is wrong. But I do love their LP to "Je Voudrais Le Mer" and it would have been perfect in the Montreal venue. But I understand the federation's decision to send Evelyn and Trennt. They came on at the right time and proved themselves at Nationals and 4C's . My concern is for the Canadians to keep at least 2 spots and hopefully 3 in pairs for next year. Kirsten and Michael are very good and potentially top 5 but they have to eliminate the mistakes. Can Evelyn and Trennt skate well enough to maintain at least a top 15 finish? That is the question!

Ziotic

Medalist
I love Charlie and Lubov and I agree that they are so new that making any long term predictions is wrong. But I do love their LP to "Je Voudrais Le Mer" and it would have been perfect in the Montreal venue. But I understand the federation's decision to send Evelyn and Trennt. They came on at the right time and proved themselves at Nationals and 4C's . My concern is for the Canadians to keep at least 2 spots and hopefully 3 in pairs for next year. Kirsten and Michael are very good and potentially top 5 but they have to eliminate the mistakes. Can Evelyn and Trennt skate well enough to maintain at least a top 15 finish? That is the question!

They were 12th last year so I think it’s absolutely achievable.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

They were 12th last year at Worlds and by far a different team since then. Tbh, I thought they were undermarked at Nationals for what they delivered, as I would have had their LP in the 130 range, thereby breaking into the 200's. Perhaps the judges were hopeful for Lubov & Charlie who skated after them..., just my opinion. No question they deserved the nod over L&C, having beaten them twice in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW07TgRcVcE&t=290s

Re Kirsten and Michael, if they skate to their full potential they are medal contenders in Montreal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They were 12th last year at Worlds and by far a different team since then. Tbh, I thought they were undermarked at Nationals for what they delivered, as I would have had their LP in the 130 range, thereby breaking into the 200's. Perhaps the judges were hopeful for Lubov & Charlie who skated after them..., just my opinion. No question they deserved the nod over L&C, having beaten them twice in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW07TgRcVcE&t=290s

Re Kirsten and Michael, if they skate to their full potential they are medal contenders in Montreal.

One of the big challenges is now there are two American teams and both will probably beat them.

Ziotic

Medalist
One of the big challenges is now there are two American teams and both will probably beat them.
Even with two American teams, one of whom beat them already that only bumps them down to 13.

Plus there is no J/C this year or NK I believe. So actually that can bump them to 11.