Gala programs you want to see in competition | Golden Skate

Gala programs you want to see in competition

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Recently Marin Honda announced her ex program to "I'm an Albatraoz" would be her sp for the upcoming season. In addition, we saw how Aliona turned her Twilight ex into a free skate (I'm not much of a skating historian, I don't know much about previous galas turned competition programs).This got me thinking about other gala programs that I want to see as competition programs. I immediately thought of Sasha's "Unstoppable," but what are some recent gala programs you want to see as competition programs?

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Definitely Tarasova and Morozov’s SOS d’un terrien en détresse

I can't agree more. Maybe I'm a bit biased against T/M but I've always seen them as two very good skaters skating next to each other but never skating together and creating some emotions on the ice. When I saw them in Graz in person maybe I've warmed up towards them a bit because the quality, the distance, the height of their jumps, twists and throws is superior and I was so amazed by this that I didn't mind the lack of connection (that in my purely subjective opinion is still there)... But their ex is something totally different. They are one. They are skating together. They bring out real emotions! They can do it.

And this will sadly never become a reality, but I've been saying this for three years in a row so I'll say it again. Javi's Danny Boy as SP. :love:Danny Boy is my favourite exhibition in the world and nothing comes even close. I just hoped that Javi would use it as his SP for his last Europeans when it was clear in December that he still didn't have a new SP. And once in the 2015/2016 Kurt Browning (I think) hinted that they may be testing it as a SP for the new season but it never happened in the end... Now I just hope he will bring it back at least as an exhibition. It was the first lyrical piece Javi skated to... it was David Wilson's suggestion. Though Prometo - as the lyrical successor of Danny Boy - may have had bigger success And now Javi skated to a few other Spanish lyrical songs so there's still hope for Danny Boy ;)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan did this twice, quite successfully in my opinion. He used Elegie in E-Flat Minor as an Ex at 2012 Worlds (and a few other shows), then as his SP for the 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 seasons.

Ex vs SP

Then, in the 2015/2016 season, he did an Ex to Dear Prudence/Blackbird and it became his SP for the 2016/2017 season.

Ex vs SP

And, this isn't an exact example, but the Shibs did an Ex to O (Fly On) by Coldplay in 2014/2015. Then, in 2015/2016 their FD was Fix You by Coldplay and in 2017/2018, their FD was Paradise by Coldplay. In their case, they found a style/type of music that they really connected to in the 2015 Ex and used that knowledge to make their FD choices for the rest of their career.

rosy14

Final Flight
I can't agree more. Maybe I'm a bit biased against T/M but I've always seen them as two very good skaters skating next to each other but never skating together and creating some emotions on the ice. When I saw them in Graz in person maybe I've warmed up towards them a bit because the quality, the distance, the height of their jumps, twists and throws is superior and I was so amazed by this that I didn't mind the lack of connection (that in my purely subjective opinion is still there)... But their ex is something totally different. They are one. They are skating together. They bring out real emotions! They can do it.

And this will sadly never become a reality, but I've been saying this for three years in a row so I'll say it again. Javi's Danny Boy as SP. :love:Danny Boy is my favourite exhibition in the world and nothing comes even close. I just hoped that Javi would use it as his SP for his last Europeans when it was clear in December that he still didn't have a new SP. And once in the 2015/2016 Kurt Browning (I think) hinted that they may be testing it as a SP for the new season but it never happened in the end... Now I just hope he will bring it back at least as an exhibition. It was the first lyrical piece Javi skated to... it was David Wilson's suggestion. Though Prometo - as the lyrical successor of Danny Boy - may have had bigger success And now Javi skated to a few other Spanish lyrical songs so there's still hope for Danny Boy ;)

Danny Boy was a little gem. I’d like too to see it again.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Recently Marin Honda announced her ex program to "I'm an Albatraoz" would be her sp for the upcoming season. In addition, we saw how Aliona turned her Twilight ex into a free skate (I'm not much of a skating historian, I don't know much about previous galas turned competition programs).This got me thinking about other gala programs that I want to see as competition programs. I immediately thought of Sasha's "Unstoppable," but what are some recent gala programs you want to see as competition programs?

I already got my wish with UNO’s Great Spirit

I would also love Aliev’s ‘Attack us—we’ll soar’ program in a competition. It’s pretty emotionally charged.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan did this twice, quite successfully in my opinion. He used Elegie in E-Flat Minor as an Ex at 2012 Worlds (and a few other shows), then as his SP for the 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 seasons.

Ex vs SP

Then, in the 2015/2016 season, he did an Ex to Dear Prudence/Blackbird and it became his SP for the 2016/2017 season.

Ex vs SP

And, this isn't an exact example, but the Shibs did an Ex to O (Fly On) by Coldplay in 2014/2015. Then, in 2015/2016 their FD was Fix You by Coldplay and in 2017/2018, their FD was Paradise by Coldplay. In their case, they found a style/type of music that they really connected to in the 2015 Ex and used that knowledge to make their FD choices for the rest of their career.

I had forgotten Patrick skated to that music. That is an incredibly fine program.

The music is stripped down, nothing overwrought. The costuming is simple, elegant, and suitable.

The elements were delivered straightforwardly and with very good quality. The movement across the ice was sublime.

Thank you for reminding me of a forgotten gem.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I had forgotten Patrick skated to that music. That is an incredibly fine program.

The music is stripped down, nothing overwrought. The costuming is simple, elegant, and suitable.

The elements were delivered straightforwardly and with very good quality. The movement across the ice was sublime.

Thank you for reminding me of a forgotten gem.
You are so very welcome! Yes, it is beautiful. I love it so much!!! :biggrin:

Ex vs SP

One thing, though, is that the exhibition is usually better than the competitive program. I guess there is no help for it -- in the exhibition the skater is trying to engage the audience, in competition he is trying to score as many points as he can.

When Patrick presented the Elegy exhibition it totally blew me away, like I was seeing a side of Patrick that I never knew existed. The competition version was good, too, but ...

Michelle Kwan sometimes previewed her next season's program with an exhibition version. The best was the Red Violin (exhibition at 1999 worlds Gala, LP in the 1999-2000 season). The LP was outstanding, but the exhibition was like, be still my heart. :)