Riedell upgrade | Golden Skate

Riedell upgrade

rlynn1

Spectator
This is my first post so I’m hoping that I’m posting in the correct spot. My daughter has always skated in Riedell since she started skating several years ago. She’s now doing axel and working on double sal and another double that I can’t name. She has been in the Motion and has had them for over a year. They are starting to get a little tight but they still have support. She is also getting into solo ice dance so will be working on that along with her freeskate for now. She skates about 12-13 hours a week. She has had no problem with the Riedell as far as comfort although she has had bunions from a young age. So her bridge area is wider and her heel is more narrow. So I’m wondering if anyone has tried the Riedell Vega or other Bronze Star? Or was curious as to any comparison to other brands? Thank you in advance for any feedback [emoji846]

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is my first post so I’m hoping that I’m posting in the correct spot. My daughter has always skated in Riedell since she started skating several years ago. She’s now doing axel and working on double sal and another double that I can’t name. She has been in the Motion and has had them for over a year. They are starting to get a little tight but they still have support. She is also getting into solo ice dance so will be working on that along with her freeskate for now. She skates about 12-13 hours a week. She has had no problem with the Riedell as far as comfort although she has had bunions from a young age. So her bridge area is wider and her heel is more narrow. So I’m wondering if anyone has tried the Riedell Vega or other Bronze Star? Or was curious as to any comparison to other brands? Thank you in advance for any feedback [emoji846]

First of all, I wouldn't even let my kid who was up to axels and doubles try them in the boots she has on. They are not designed for that skill level and they are rec boots.

Secondly, if her toebox is wider and heel slimmer, you might want to look into Jackson brand skates. Risport would be another option (I've worn both--former elite ice dancer and singles skater, turned Pro).

At her level I would not put her in anything lower than the following boots:
Riedell: Bronze Star, Fusion, she could look at Silver star but it may be too much for her
Jackson: Elite 5200
Risport: Royal Pro
EDEA: Chorus

Note: I included edea as another option. Knowing that your daughter likes Riedell, teamed with my experience w/boots I don't think she will like them.
Harlick and graf are additional brands.

You will need an intermediate blade to pair with boots she chooses: MK PRO or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Also, if she decides to stay with dance, she will more than likely need a whole different boot and blade designed for dance (yes separate from each other). Dance blades have less pick, shorter bottom pick and the heel is shorter than her singles blade).

Just something to think about.

rlynn1

Spectator
Ic3Rabbit - thank you for the info! Lots to think about. Would you mind elaborating a little on how the Jacksons compare to the Riedells fit-wise? We do have the John Wilson Coronation Aces so that’s good. I don’t believe our skate shop has Risport. Also I think you are correct about the Edea. From what I’ve heard I don’t think she would like feel of them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ic3Rabbit - thank you for the info! Lots to think about. Would you mind elaborating a little on how the Jacksons compare to the Riedells fit-wise? We do have the John Wilson Coronation Aces so that’s good. I don’t believe our skate shop has Risport. Also I think you are correct about the Edea. From what I’ve heard I don’t think she would like feel of them.

You can't compare because every boot in every brand (even across the same brand) fit different nowadays.

If your daughter has the wider toe box and slimmer heel, definitely try the Jackson boot I suggested above. I have the same shaped foot and love my Jacksons. I used to wear Riedell a long time ago and switched.

Risport is more rare depending on where you are.

Sibelius

On the Ice
My daughter also has a wide ball and narrow heel, hated the Riedell fit, and has always been in Jacksons (on her 7th pair). She is currently in the Jackson Premiere Fusion, and it's been working for her as she works on her doubles up through Lutz. It's a little less stiff, and about $125 less than the Elite. Caveat is that she is 11, and pretty small. If yours is bigger the Elite would be the way to go and it's offered in two stiffness levels. We got a semi custom width C/A that didn't cost much more, and there are other custom options too (soles, tongues etc.). A move from the boot she's in to something so much stiffer will be an adjustment for sure, but to continue in something without proper support for her skills is a disaster waiting to happen. If she is really small, you might be able to get away with the Jackson Debut Firm, probably not for too long though. Here is Jackson's boot recommendations based on skill and size:

https://jacksonultima.com/pages/jackson-fit-guide

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: For a figure skate boot, it's critical to have a snug heel lock without toe cramping. If your daughter has a wider toe/narrower heel, Jackson boots (the separate boots at the level suitable for her) are worth considering for the following reasons. They have a rounder toe compared to many other boots, and they come stock in split width, with the heel width one size less than the toe width; e.g., C toe/B heel. If she needs more than one size width differential (e.g., C toe/A heel), she can get a semi-custom boot (depending on the level of boot) for much less than a full custom boot, assuming she has no other special needs that require a full custom boot.

Of course, there are a zillion other factors that determine whether a particular boot is suitable for a particular skater. But for a skater with a wider toe/narrower heel, Jacksons should at least be on the initial candidate list for consideration.

Nimyue

On the Ice

I wear Risport and there aren't any authorized dealers in my area. However, while my fitter would not recommend or suggest them because he's not a dealer, he CAN actually get them and shape them etc. Same with another fitter in my area. So they are more rare and a lot of fitters won't push them, they can actually get them, but you'd have to ask.

Considering she came from Riedell, Riport might be worth a look. They are split width, so narrow heel, wider ball, but their heel height is a bit lower than Edea, and much lower than Jackson. Jackson has the highest heel of them all.

For convenience sake, it's probably easier to try Jackson first. Just keep Risport in mind if the Jacksons don't work out for whatever reason.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
First of all, I wouldn't even let my kid who was up to axels and doubles try them in the boots she has on. They are not designed for that skill level and they are rec boots.

Actually, according to the Riedell website, the Motion are "Advanced Instructional" and are not recreational. However moving up in stiffness would not be unwarranted....the Riedell skate chart is here.

https://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boot-range#figure

There is a lot of overlap in the levels each boot *could* apply to probably in recognition that skaters come in various sizes and weights and may be more or less aggressive with knee bend, etc. I've seen some lightweight skaters really break down boots doing advanced doubles and triples, so some skaters may benefit from going with more support.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually, according to the Riedell website, the Motion are "Advanced Instructional" and are not recreational. However moving up in stiffness would not be unwarranted....the Riedell skate chart is here.

There is a lot of overlap in the levels each boot *could* apply to probably in recognition that skaters come in various sizes and weights and may be more or less aggressive with knee bend, etc. I've seen some lightweight skaters really break down boots doing advanced doubles and triples, so some skaters may benefit from going with more support.

Again, no matter what they are called: They aren't designed for the jumps the child is doing.

The end.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Again, no matter what they are called: They aren't designed for the jumps the child is doing.

The end.
According to Riedell and the chart they *are* designed for axel through most doubles (they are midway in their lineup)and I know some skaters (very, very light ones) doing axel and 2S, 2T in those boots. It may depend on a number of factors (including weight/height) whether these are appropriate for the skater in question today, but I think they can probably move up a few models on the chart (assuming they fit better than other options) if the skater plans on progressing to high doubles qnd continues skating at that frequency.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
According to Riedell and the chart they *are* designed for axel through most doubles (they are midway in their lineup)and I know some skaters (very, very light ones) doing axel and 2S, 2T in those boots. It may depend on a number of factors (including weight/height) whether these are appropriate for the skater in question today, but I think they can probably move up a few models on the chart (assuming they fit better than other options) if the skater plans on progressing to high doubles qnd continues skating at that frequency.

With how much she's skating in them and so on, I still wouldn't recommend them and it sounds like the skater needs a Jackson boot anyway with the way her feet are.

Mamamiia

Medalist

Coaches I know tell kids to upgrade from motion to bronze star when they start to work on Axel.

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Don't assume you will need another brand, I have suffered a bunion and heel slipping. I had issues when my Risport were breaking down, my heel would slip within a few months of getting new RF3's then I switched to Jacksons but hated them, heel slippage was even worse. Riedell is a slit width anyway so if its a C ball it is a B in the heel. Now I skate in Riedell but semi customs as my foot is a B ball but a AAA heel so any boot would struggle unless semi custom. However these have been amazing for my feet