Men's quad count | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's quad count

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Lysacek was added already before Jaana mentioned him - after all, his one success has received much more attention here than many skater's dozens of jumps! I decided initially to post a new list every time there was reason to do so instead of updating an earlier post (which would not be read by many people).

After some work of my own yesterday plus the additions that came after the previous list was posted - thanks especially for Anthony Liu, because I was really wondering about his jumps yesterday! I went through the worlds results from the 1990s to think of names I might have forgotten and who might have been jumping quads. The Wikipedia page for quads provided some even quite obscure guys, then I also went through the world standings 2001-2019 and checked as many skaters as I could find info on.

I also looked at how the Top 30-50 (the earliest ones were not always available to below 30) has changed with regard to quads. In the early 2000s about 20-30/50 had a quad, there were 5-6 guys who were trying and the rest did not try (as far as could be found out). In the past five seasons, the numbers of those who have a quad or quads, has risen to over 40/50 with a couple always trying and maybe 2-3 skaters remaining without completely.

I have a list of 207 names now everyone put together and here it is presented in several categories chronologically (put in on my GoogleDrive also, for review only, PM in case of tech problems)

To begin with those who have managed to jump at least one quad in an international competition with 0.00 or positive GOE: 151 skaters

Pre-IJS, 18
: Abt, Barna, Browning, Dinev, Eldregde, Guo Zhengxin, Honda, Klimkin, Kostin, Kulik, Li Yunfei, Liu Anthony, Sabovcik, Stojko, Urmanov, Weiss, Yagudin, Zhang Min

IJS era, retired 66: Aaron, Abbott, Amodio, Balde, Besseghier, Bradley, Bush, Carriere, Chan, Dambier, Dobrin, Dornbush, Farris, Fernández, Firus, Gao, Gaschinski, Goebel, Griazev, Grigoriev, Guan Yuhang, Hochstein, Joubert, Kovtun, Kozuka, Lam, Lambiel, Lezin, Li Chenyang, Liebers, Lindemann, Lutai, Lysacek, Ma Xiaodong, Machida, Majorov Alexander, Menshov, Miner, Mroz, Mura, Murakami, Nakaniwa, Oda, Pitkeev, Plushenko, Ponsero, Preaubert, Razzano, Reynolds, Righini, Rippon, Rogers, Sandhu, Schultheiss, Sezganov, Shubin, Smith, Song Lun, Song Nan; Streubel, Takahashi, Ten Denis, Van den Perren, Wang Yi, Verner, Versluis

IJS era, current 67: Aliev, Aymoz, Brezina, Bychenko, Cha, Chen, Danielian, Dmitriev, Erokhov, Fentz, Frangipani, Gala, Gogolev, Grassl, Gumennik, Hanyu, Hiwatashi, Ignatov, Jin, Kagiyama, Kerry, Kolyada, Krasnozhon, Kvitelashvili, Lazukin, Litvintsev, Loupolover, Lutfullin, Ma Jimmy, Maysuradze, Messing, Milyukov, Miura, Mozalev, Nadeau, Nguyen, Orzel, Paniot, Peng Zhiming, Phan Joseph, Ponsart, Pulkinen, Rizzo, Sadovsky, Samarin, Samohin, Samoilov, Sato Shun, Satou, Savosin, Selevko, Shimada, Siao Him Fa, Tamura Ryota, Tanaka Keiji, Tesson, Tomono, Torgashev, Uno, Warren, Voronov, Yamamoto, Yan Han, Yee, Yoshioka Nozomu, Zhang He, Zhou Vincent

Secondly, successes at nationals only, 7: Gastellu (pre-IJS), Kim Jin Seo, Mattick, Semenenko, Sviridenko, Todeschini, Zuber

Last those who have attempted but have not succeeded (yet), 48 skaters: (as far as I could find out)

Pre IJS, 7: Boitano, Chack, Eremenko, Fadeyev, Jeannette, Larsson, Schmidt

IJS era, retired 24: Borodulin Artem, Borodulin Sergei, Buttle, Chiper, Dolensky, Ferreira, Ge, Gorshkov, Guan Jinlin, Lee Dong-Whun, Mahbanoozadeh, Mccraw, Pavlov, Pfeifer, Rakimgaliev, Rogozine, Tarasenko, Ten Jeremy, Tondreau-Alin, Tretiakov, Ulanovsky, Uspenski, Ward, Weir

IJS era, current 17: Belohradsky Matyas, Brown, Hayrapetyan, Hino Ryuju, Le May, Lee June Hyoung, Miyake Sena, Murashov, Petrov Alexander, Rowe, Sahaka, Samsonov, Toman, Tsao Chih-I, Vasiljevs; Virtanen, Zlatkov

Based on how few nationals only successes there are, I doubt that there would be massive numbers of skaters doing quads at club or smaller national competitions. The tendency seems to be that the quadsters are also otherwise good jumpers/passable overall skaters and tend to get to represent their country internationally relatively easily.

But for the pre-IJS era, I was wondering about Zagorodniuk and maybe Pliuta (or Plyta). I saw a newspaper article on them at least doing quads in practices at some competition back in the day but could not find any mention of tries in competition. Gkelly? What does your wayback machine say? Anyone else know/remember?

E

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Lysacek was added already before Jaana mentioned him - after all, his one success has received much more attention here than many skater's dozens of jumps! I decided initially to post a new list every time there was reason to do so instead of updating an earlier post (which would not be read by many people).

After some work of my own yesterday plus the additions that came after the previous list was posted - thanks especially for Anthony Liu, because I was really wondering about his jumps yesterday! I went through the worlds results from the 1990s to think of names I might have forgotten and who might have been jumping quads. The Wikipedia page for quads provided some even quite obscure guys, then I also went through the world standings 2001-2019 and checked as many skaters as I could find info on.

I also looked at how the Top 30-50 (the earliest ones were not always available to below 30) has changed with regard to quads. In the early 2000s about 20-30/50 had a quad, there were 5-6 guys who were trying and the rest did not try (as far as could be found out). In the past five seasons, the numbers of those who have a quad or quads, has risen to over 40/50 with a couple always trying and maybe 2-3 skaters remaining without completely.

I have a list of 207 names now everyone put together and here it is presented in several categories chronologically (put in on my GoogleDrive also, for review only, PM in case of tech problems)

To begin with those who have managed to jump at least one quad in an international competition with 0.00 or positive GOE: 151 skaters

Pre-IJS, 18
: Abt, Barna, Browning, Dinev, Eldregde, Guo Zhengxin, Honda, Klimkin, Kostin, Kulik, Li Yunfei, Liu Anthony, Sabovcik, Stojko, Urmanov, Weiss, Yagudin, Zhang Min

IJS era, retired 66: Aaron, Abbott, Amodio, Balde, Besseghier, Bradley, Bush, Carriere, Chan, Dambier, Dobrin, Dornbush, Farris, Fernández, Firus, Gao, Gaschinski, Goebel, Griazev, Grigoriev, Guan Yuhang, Hochstein, Joubert, Kovtun, Kozuka, Lam, Lambiel, Lezin, Li Chenyang, Liebers, Lindemann, Lutai, Lysacek, Ma Xiaodong, Machida, Majorov Alexander, Menshov, Miner, Mroz, Mura, Murakami, Nakaniwa, Oda, Pitkeev, Plushenko, Ponsero, Preaubert, Razzano, Reynolds, Righini, Rippon, Rogers, Sandhu, Schultheiss, Sezganov, Shubin, Smith, Song Lun, Song Nan; Streubel, Takahashi, Ten Denis, Van den Perren, Wang Yi, Verner, Versluis

IJS era, current 67: Aliev, Aymoz, Brezina, Bychenko, Cha, Chen, Danielian, Dmitriev, Erokhov, Fentz, Frangipani, Gala, Gogolev, Grassl, Gumennik, Hanyu, Hiwatashi, Ignatov, Jin, Kagiyama, Kerry, Kolyada, Krasnozhon, Kvitelashvili, Lazukin, Litvintsev, Loupolover, Lutfullin, Ma Jimmy, Maysuradze, Messing, Milyukov, Miura, Mozalev, Nadeau, Nguyen, Orzel, Paniot, Peng Zhiming, Phan Joseph, Ponsart, Pulkinen, Rizzo, Sadovsky, Samarin, Samohin, Samoilov, Sato Shun, Satou, Savosin, Selevko, Shimada, Siao Him Fa, Tamura Ryota, Tanaka Keiji, Tesson, Tomono, Torgashev, Uno, Warren, Voronov, Yamamoto, Yan Han, Yee, Yoshioka Nozomu, Zhang He, Zhou Vincent

Secondly, successes at nationals only, 7: Gastellu (pre-IJS), Kim Jin Seo, Mattick, Semenenko, Sviridenko, Todeschini, Zuber

Last those who have attempted but have not succeeded (yet), 48 skaters: (as far as I could find out)

IJS era, retired 24: Borodulin Artem, Borodulin Sergei, Buttle, Chiper, Dolensky, Ferreira, Ge, Gorshkov, Guan Jinlin, Lee Dong-Whun, Mahbanoozadeh, Mccraw, Pavlov, Pfeifer, Rakimgaliev, Rogozine, Tarasenko, Ten Jeremy, Tondreau-Alin, Tretiakov, Ulanovsky, Uspenski, Ward, Weir

IJS era, current 17: Belohradsky Matyas, Brown, Hayrapetyan, Hino Ryuju, Le May, Lee June Hyoung, Miyake Sena, Murashov, Petrov Alexander, Rowe, Sahaka, Samsonov, Toman, Tsao Chih-I, Vasiljevs; Virtanen, Zlatkov

Based on how few nationals only successes there are, I doubt that there would be massive numbers of skaters doing quads at club or smaller national competitions. The tendency seems to be that the quadsters are also otherwise good jumpers/passable overall skaters and tend to get to represent their country internationally relatively easily.

But for the pre-IJS era, I was wondering about Zagorodniuk and maybe Pliuta (or Plyta). I saw a newspaper article on them at least doing quads in practices at some competition back in the day but could not find any mention of tries in competition. Gkelly? What does your wayback machine say? Anyone else know/remember?

E

Daniel Samsonov did clean 4Lz at GPF. IF GOE doesn't matter then Weir has done one at nationals only. and Kim Jin Seo has done a couple internationally with -2's. Semenenko at Tallin Hotel cup did 4T (He's under your nationals only) with base GOE overall. Andrei ZUBER did 4T+2T clean with base GOE in Prague ice cup.
Philip harris has also attempted but never completed a quad.

Mccraw landed clean quad in Midwestern Sectional Championships 2006 with + goe.
The reason there are few in Nationals only is that most will go on to land it internationally.

gkelly

Record Breaker

From memory:

The first time I ever saw a quad lutz attempted was by Zagorodniuk in a practice session the day between SP and FS at 1995 Skate America. He was also attempting quad toe loop. They weren't clean, and he didn't try them in competition.

He might have attempted quad toe in the qualifying round at 1997 Europeans or Worlds. I remember reading that when Kulik showed up with a quad at Euros that year, others felt they needed get into the game as well. Since the qualifying rounds did not at that time count toward the total score, it was a safe place for potential medal contenders to give it a try. But video was rarely available, and of course no detailed protocols, so we would only know if someone who was there reported it publicly.

There were definitely reports of Pliuta trying quad lutzes at practice sessions in the late 90s. I think I saw some at 1998 Worlds. But as far as I know the only time(s) he attempted in competition he popped. And I don't even remember when that was since a quick look at his freeskates currently available online doesn't seem to include the attempts.

Speaking of Ukrainian guys and unsuccessful competition attempts, here's a quad toe attempt by Dmitri Dmitrenko at 1993 Skate Canada.

There were a few other skaters who attempted quads in competitions practice just to show off that they were working on them even though they were not ready to attempt in competition or didn't materialize when planned. (That includes quad toe masters like Stojko and Plushenko toying with salchows and lutzes.)

Failed quad toe attempt by Szabolcs Vidrai at 1996 Europeans.

Unsuccessful quad loop attempt by Roman Serov at 2002 Russian Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Secondly, successes at nationals only ...:

Savary of USA was in one of my previous posts, but you have not added him yet.

... Last those who have attempted but have not succeeded (yet) ...

IJS era, current ... : Belohradsky Matyas, Brown, Hayrapetyan, Hino Ryuju, Le May, Lee June Hyoung, Miyake Sena, Murashov, Petrov Alexander, Rowe, Sahaka, Samsonov, Toman, Tsao Chih-I, Vasiljevs; Virtanen, Zlatkov

More international attempts:

- Reznichenko of Poland has made multiple attempts (which I could not help noticing, although I have not been purposely keeping track of attempts).

Attempts at 2017 Philadelphia Summer International:
- Jordan Moeller USA
- Nicholas Vrdoljak CRO​
Source: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...mpetitions-1/13659-2017-phl-int-protocol/file (p. 64, p. 72, p. 73)

Moeller also attempted in 2017 Lombardia FS.
Vrdoljak also attempted in 2017 Nebelhorn FS.​

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan

I think you mixed up late pre-IJS skater Yamato Tamura and him.
Yamato Tamura - 2000 Four Continents - Free Skating
Yamato Tamura - 2001 NHK troohy - Short Program
Yamato Tamura - 2002 Lalique Trophy - Free Skating
Yamato Tamura - 2004 Four Continents - Short Program

(Yamato Tamura is one of Rika Kihira's coaching staff now.)

I can't find successful quad attempts from Ryota.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Daniel Samsonov did clean 4Lz at GPF. IF GOE doesn't matter then Weir has done one at nationals only. and Kim Jin Seo has done a couple internationally with -2's. Semenenko at Tallin Hotel cup did 4T (He's under your nationals only) with base GOE overall. Andrei ZUBER did 4T+2T clean with base GOE in Prague ice cup.
Philip harris has also attempted but never completed a quad.

Mccraw landed clean quad in Midwestern Sectional Championships 2006 with + goe.
The reason there are few in Nationals only is that most will go on to land it internationally.

It appears that Samsonov’s lutz has a slight negative GoE in GPF

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Gkelly, I cannot believe you remember things from that far away with that much detail and clarity… It is truly admirable!

Thanks again a bunch for the new names and corrections all of you!! I added them in the online list and comment them here.

So, just in case saying that 0.00 or postive GOE qualifies the jump to successful is still somehow misleading, I mean the final calculation. The judges -5 to +5 do not count here.

And if for example Javi's pretty unique 0.00 GOE for an UR 4S would have been his only good quad ever, it would have not been enough to get him to the "done it" category, because it was UR. (Though, I don't think anyone else has been able to get that...)

Dmitrenko, Dimitri – tries column with pre-IJS (one of those I was thinking of also, but FORGOT his name when I wrote the previous mail ;) See??)

Harris, Phillip – tries column definitely, but has he retired already? No results since 2018?

Kim, Jin Seo – -2s give you a negative final GOE.

McCraw, Casey – the results from 2006 are in Rink Results and the quad has GOE -0.40 link here

Moeller, Jordan – tries, yes

Reznichenko, Igor – tries, but is he still competing? no results for this season?

Samsonov, Daniil – as mentioned the GPF GOE was -0.16 which is below 0.00

Savary, Emanuel – done it, but only nationally (sorry for missing his name earlier!)

Semenenko, Evgeni – upgraded to done it (thanks for the correction!) He got a nice 0.63 for the 4S in the SP in the same competition!

Serov, Roman – tries, retired (he is on the fence between pre and IJS, but enough comps in IJS to be labeled there)

Tamura, Yamato – done it, pre-IJS (thanks for the correction! Ryota has tries, though)

Vidrai, Szabolcs – tries, pre-IJS

Weir, Johnny – the 2008 nationals 4T GOE -1.29 is well below zero

Zuber, Andrei – upgraded to done it (thanks for the correction!) For him a positive GOE quad combo in the SP!

Total of skaters 214

“Done it” total now 153 with 19 pre-IJS, 66 retired, and 68 current

“Done it, but only nationally” now totals 6 with 1 pre-IJS and 5 current

“Tried/Trying” total now 55 with 9 pre-IJS, 26 retired (provisionally with Harris), and 29 current

Don't think the list will ever be complete with 100% certainty, but it does give a very good ballpark figure on how many skaters have jumped at least that one good quad. And how many have tried to get it done...

I am looking forward to seeing how many skaters we can get into the honor roll! :)

E

gkelly

Record Breaker
Thanks for organizing all the info @eppen.

Someone had mentioned in another thread that there were "hundreds" of skaters doing quads. It seems that we're not quite at that point for active competitors but the numbers will continue growing.

I remember the 1990s better than recently because my fan brain was not yet as full of skating data. It's harder to get new info in there now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Thanks again a bunch for the new names and corrections all of you!! I added them in the online list and comment them here. ...

For your spreadsheet: I had just edited Nicholas Vrdoljak CRO attempts into post #45 -- must have been at the same time that you already were writing out your meticulous comments :thank: re many skaters.

(Nicholas has not competed internationally since 2018.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00034524.htm )​

... ... Reznichenko, Igor – tries, but is he still competing? no results for this season?

Although I had noticed numerous relatively recent attempts by Reznichenko, I really know next to nothing :hopelessness: about him.

Had not realized that he did not compete in 2019-20 ... have no idea whether he wants/plans to return to competition.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I tend to remember current things best - like am able to remember lots of detail for my research topics, but will forget them after they have been over and done with for some time.

Anyway, hundreds it ain't! Training and trying possibly, but actually being able to do the jumps in a program and especially under competition pressure happens for relatively few as we can now see.

My excercise yesterday going through the end of year standings and noting that after top 50 the quad jumpers get quite rare was an eye opener. The list has usually 170-190 skaters and only about 35-40% of those guys are putting quads into competition.

E

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Gkelly, I cannot believe you remember things from that far away with that much detail and clarity… It is truly admirable!

Thanks again a bunch for the new names and corrections all of you!! I added them in the online list and comment them here.

So, just in case saying that 0.00 or postive GOE qualifies the jump to successful is still somehow misleading, I mean the final calculation. The judges -5 to +5 do not count here.

And if for example Javi's pretty unique 0.00 GOE for an UR 4S would have been his only good quad ever, it would have not been enough to get him to the "done it" category, because it was UR. (Though, I don't think anyone else has been able to get that...)

Dmitrenko, Dimitri – tries column with pre-IJS (one of those I was thinking of also, but FORGOT his name when I wrote the previous mail ;) See??)

Harris, Phillip – tries column definitely, but has he retired already? No results since 2018?

Kim, Jin Seo – -2s give you a negative final GOE.

McCraw, Casey – the results from 2006 are in Rink Results and the quad has GOE -0.40 link here

Moeller, Jordan – tries, yes

Reznichenko, Igor – tries, but is he still competing? no results for this season?

Samsonov, Daniil – as mentioned the GPF GOE was -0.16 which is below 0.00

Savary, Emanuel – done it, but only nationally (sorry for missing his name earlier!)

Semenenko, Evgeni – upgraded to done it (thanks for the correction!) He got a nice 0.63 for the 4S in the SP in the same competition!

Serov, Roman – tries, retired (he is on the fence between pre and IJS, but enough comps in IJS to be labeled there)

Tamura, Yamato – done it, pre-IJS (thanks for the correction! Ryota has tries, though)

Vidrai, Szabolcs – tries, pre-IJS

Weir, Johnny – the 2008 nationals 4T GOE -1.29 is well below zero

Zuber, Andrei – upgraded to done it (thanks for the correction!) For him a positive GOE quad combo in the SP!

Total of skaters 214

“Done it” total now 153 with 19 pre-IJS, 66 retired, and 68 current

“Done it, but only nationally” now totals 6 with 1 pre-IJS and 5 current

“Tried/Trying” total now 55 with 9 pre-IJS, 26 retired (provisionally with Harris), and 29 current

Don't think the list will ever be complete with 100% certainty, but it does give a very good ballpark figure on how many skaters have jumped at least that one good quad. And how many have tried to get it done...

I am looking forward to seeing how many skaters we can get into the honor roll! :)

E

Yeah Phil Harris is retired.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thanks for organizing all the info @eppen.

Someone had mentioned in another thread that there were "hundreds" of skaters doing quads. It seems that we're not quite at that point for active competitors but the numbers will continue growing.

I remember the 1990s better than recently because my fan brain was not yet as full of skating data. It's harder to get new info in there now.

Yup I said hundreds over the course of history (the number is approaching 200), who are capable of executing a quad, in general. I know some use doing them in ISU competitions or +GOE as barometers for official ratification, but to me, even if a skater lands a quad on Instagram, they can "do a quad". If it's archived in a video, they could do a quad, even if it wouldn't be recognized officially. I would wager that across figure skating history, there are 200+ figure skaters who have landed a legitimately clean quad (I know ... standards change) at some point, whether in practice, in an ISU competition, at Nationals, etc.

I was at a session, and one of the coaches (in his mid-20s) rather randomly tried a quad salchow, and I was astonished. Even moreso when I found out the highest he ever competed was Junior Nationals in singles and pairs. You wonder how many skaters are out there who can actually execute a quad, but simply don't compete at high enough a level or for long enough to get the recognition or ratification. I think of somebody like Rohene Ward who made it to only 4 US Nationals, never placing higher than 14th, but yet he's capable of executing a world-class 4T+3T.

TBH, even removing historical skaters, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 200+ skaters (whether novice or senior or retired -- see Oda :love:, whether male or female) in the world today who are currently capable of doing a clean quad given some of the craziness we're seeing across all ranks.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ it's like Patrick's quad flip that has been said to be wonderful to those who have seen it in practice... yet... i still will never see it... :(

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Nicholas Vrdoljak added to tries and maybe retired. Thanks again for the names!

The list has now 215 names for a period of 40 years or so (the first ones from the 1980s after all). About 160 have been able to make it good one way or another, the rest tried, or are still trying. Looking at the seasonal data from ISU world standings showed that maybe 50-60 skaters/season do quads or try these days. If you count everyone who has ever tried as having a quad, sure, hundreds, but thinking of just the past couple of seasons, not really.

When does a skater have a quad, or any other jump? Is it when they train for it and get it done somehow on practice ice? Do they “have” a jump if it works once in a competition? In my opinion, trying and maybe getting it done as a separate element on practice ice or wherever is not quite enough…

In the summer of 2016, Javi did a lovely 4Lo at the end of one of the Fantasy of Ice shows - it was videoed, so it got documented. There was an ever so slight wobble at the landing, but I suspect it might have qualified as a positive GOE jump in a competition. After the horrible GP final in Marseilles at the end of the year, I think (I was there watching) he tried some 4Los during the gala practice, probably still contemplating what to do with it. He decided not to work on it apparently as it never materialized in competition. And thinking of Chan’s 4F tries and many other reports of training this and that jumps – I am sure there are many more who can produce a quad or even quads at least occasionally. These are hypothetical jumps really – if a tree falls in a forest and nobody sees it, did it fall? If a skater does not produce a clean quad in a competition, do they have it? And even then, does Even Lysacek’s one successful quad in a competitive career of 8 senior seasons or so qualify him as having a 4T?

I keep wondering about skaters like Jason Brown or Deniss Vasiljevs, who must have some kind of success rate at practices for their 4Ts. And I think I have even seen a video clip of Brown getting it done passably enough, but Deniss I have never seen do it without fall/obvious double footed landings (even diehard fans report only negative tries from practices at competitions). Neither of those guys has a quad despite the probable occasional successes at practices.

My friends and I once idly thought about this and came up with a test of sorts: 10 latest attempts of any given jump and then how many of these (including pops) have a positive GOE. Consistent would be 6 jumps out of those 10 with a positive GOE. That was during the quad madness season 2016-7 and not a whole lot of jumps by even the best skaters passed this test without problems.

Thought of applying this test without looking at the pops at all to some frequent jumpers. Kevin Reynolds did some 150+ quads in competition in his career and tried 3 different quads, 4S, 4T and 4Lo. The 4Lo he tried only 5 times altogether and all with downgrades or URs, so he really did not have a 4Lo, did he? But his other quads were not that much better either. 4S was his first and most common one with 84 tries: 57 negative GOEs and 27 positive ones, the last 10 tries all negative. Not consistent by a country mile. 4T only slightly better with 63 tries all, 48 negative and 15 positive, last 10 jumps with 2 positive GOEs. So, Kevin sort of had quads, but only so and so. Of the current skaters, Vincent Zhou has an even lower positive GOE rate for all of his quads. They must be hitting some of the tries at practices ok to keep the jumps in the competition programs, but quality jumps they ain’t.

Nathan Chen passes the test with most of his quads: 4Lo is outside with only a few tries ever, but 4T and 4F are healthy, 4S and 4Lz on the fence (half pos and half neg). Hanyu’s 4S is good, 4T and 4Lo so and so (5 pos and 5 neg), but the 4Lz does not yet qualify for the test – only 3 tries ever. The best of the frequent jumpers have a career overall rate of 60% or higher positive GOE jumps (Javi, Hanyu, Chen, maybe also Plushenko, but relatively few of his jumps could be documented), most have it between 50% and 60%.

E

icetug

Medalist

No official retirement, but he didn't take part in last Nationals. Apparently he joined ice shows ("Hot Ice", "Holiday on Ice") and practices back flips instead of quads ;).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Pre-IJS, 18

E

:clap: Thank you and everyone else for your work in archiving the members of the quad squad!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'll just add two names to the early history of quads:

Robert Wagenhoffer was reportedly doing quads (toe loops, I believe; not sure if any were clean, but Scott Hamilton was apparently impressed) in practices in the late 1970s-early 80s.

And Ronnie Robertson had reportedly been practicing quad loops in the early 1970s, as a 30-something pro skater. Again, I don't know how successfully.