advice on new skates?! | Golden Skate

advice on new skates?!

sailormars

Spectator
** I phrased it as though aesthetic was my main priority; the look is just the deciding factor in which boot I ultimately end up with**

Hi! I'm new to this site so I hope this is the right area to post this haha, but I need some advice.

My last boots were Edeas, (so I am used to the loose ankle), but they were super broken down and so I ordered new skates on Friday.

I ordered the Edea Concertos to my family in The Netherlands as my country of residence does not have any pro-shops and my rink significantly overcharges for Edeas, (they are an Edea dealer).

So I ordered these on Friday, I got them on sale for 200 euros, while they are usually 325 euros, (in the USA I believe Edeas are much more expensive but they're fairly 'cheap' in European countries). They arrived and I was sent a picture, however, they sent us an older model of the boots; the picture they used for them presented the normal brown heel, the one with the 5 crystals at the top part, and much more padding.

However, I received an older model which only has the gold stars imprinted, (the ones their male boots have), and thinner padding around the edge at the top of the boot. I'm concerned this is an outdated model?

I was very disappointed, as dumb as it sounds, (I'm a teenager, sorry for being superficial oops), in both the lack of padding as well as the appearance, which I'm aware shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

I initially wanted the Edea Chorus skates, as they had that cool champagne heel at the pro shop there, however their Concertos are the older models as it is the last of their stock and I assume they have not sold as many of them compared to their Chorus skates as they have the newest model.

So now I've got 14 days to decide if I want to return them and get the Chorus instead which is 250 euros, I'm even delaying getting my new blades put on because I'm not sure yet.

It sounds very stupid but I've heard way better things about the Chorus boots; it's merely an added bonus for the champagne heel and the crystals at the top.

Hope this makes sense, sorry for all the waffle, I'm a pro at it unfortunately.

I am wondering whether I should return them and pay an extra 50 euros for the new Chorus model, as I know I will have to use these skates for a while as they are a birthday gift from my parents, (I am offering to pay any extra costs).

*TO CLARIFY; both boots are good options for me, and I couldn't decide which to order so when the Concertos went on sale in my size I ultimately decided on those*

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Do they fit? This is a more salient point than "crystals vs gold stars" or colour of heel.

sailormars

Spectator
Yeah they both are perfect options in terms of fitting and stiffness, however I am more drawn to the newer models as they have more padding, but I guess the best way to explain is the aesthetic was the last resort to decide which one to pick but I phrased it a bit weirdly:)

Obviously I would pick function over design but I also want to make sure I'm happy with them as I have to skate in them for a while.

Thank you for your response:)

Elija

On the Ice
What level are you? Chorus and concerto differ quite a lot in stiffness, so you would need to think about what you need rather than just which one looks better. If you are heavier or working solidly on doubles or higher, chorus would most likely not be supportive enough.

sailormars

Spectator
thanks for the response:)
right now I am working on solidifying my singles again as I took a lengthy break from skating, and working on one double so far, so I'll definitely take those factors into account.

I phrased it a bit weirdly I realize in the heat of the moment, but the aesthetic was more of the last factor which would decide which I would buy; but I'm slightly concerned that the older model is a bit outdated in terms of the padding.

The coaches at my rink seem to sway most of the skaters working on doubles/axel to the Chorus boot and many of them have recommended the same to me.

Elija

On the Ice
Yes, they should be ok for awhile, depending on your height/weight etc. Personally i didn’t find chorus supportive enough, so not sure how they’d work for anyone beyond a kid working on doubles, but I have heard of others who found them ok for beginning doubles.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Concerto is going to be the better one for you. And as long as they work, are stiff enough, fit properly, etc...I really wouldn't worry about what they look like. It's just an older model, if they still work then you're good.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
It’s ok to be a bit superficial. :) after all, it is an aesthetic sport! But I’d be more concerned about the boot not being what you tried on, and maybe not padded or constructed in the same way. It would be nice to hear feedback from someone on here that could verify the changes did not affect the overall fit and performance.

I agree that the Concerto is probably what you’d want for stiffness etc. But you might contact the company and see if you could get the newer model if that’s what you tried on. It may be they were clearing out the older stock and that’s why you got the deal. Maybe check the model numbers on the Edea website to see if they made an adjustment in the number for the new style. Otherwise if the stock number is the same and the boots aren’t the same as the picture you might be able to get the ones you prefer. If that doesn’t work out maybe get some cute boot covers or sparkly tights with the $ saved....

I also wanted to add for all he readers out there, that a shop that’s an Edea dealer probably charges more due to the services they provide when adjusting the boots, and carrying stock to help in fittings. Sometimes they earn their money. lol I understand not everyone can do it, but I like to support local shops and techs so they don’t disappear!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd be inclined to stick with the Concerto and customise them. Stick a crystal on top of each gold star and paint the heel in whatever shade you feel like. There are a couple of skaters at my rink who have done amazing customisation on their boots.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd be inclined to stick with the Concerto and customise them. Stick a crystal on top of each gold star and paint the heel in whatever shade you feel like. There are a couple of skaters at my rink who have done amazing customisation on their boots.

Is anyone concerned about stone falling off onto a practice ice session and causing a fall? :scratch3: