Remembering the 1980 Olympic Games in Lake Placid - Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Remembering the 1980 Olympic Games in Lake Placid - Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Linda didn't push the sport? She was the first woman to land two triples in a program, I believe, and two different triples at that.

I see what you are saying and to skating fanatics - those on the this Board would agree but to the world who are mere olympic fans of skating Linda sadly won't be remembered - Elaine maybe. We have to remember people on this Board aren't the everyday skating/olympic fan.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While perhaps not of particular interest to figure skating fans...

Eric Heiden's sweep of the five speed skating races in 1980, Gold Medalist in EVERY event from 500 meters to 10,000 meters, is the greatest achievement in Winter Olympics history, IMO. Certainly it's the best in a single Winter Games - the only possible rival I can think of would be Jean-Claude Killy who won all three alpine skiing events in 1968.

Sadly, Eric Heiden is relatively unknown in his own country.

I was just going through stuff in my parents attic and found a scrapbook I kept of newspaper clippings from that Olympics, including Eric Heiden

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I see what you are saying and to skating fanatics - those on the this Board would agree but to the world who are mere olympic fans of skating Linda sadly won't be remembered - Elaine maybe. We have to remember people on this Board aren't the everyday skating/olympic fan.

For sure -- but you said "push the sport." I think she WAS pushing the sport. It was the transition from all doubles to triples. Much like the quad revolution that is starting today. Personally, I do think being the first, or among the first, to land 2 different triples in competition is very much pushing the sport.

To me, there's such a parallel to today -- when Fratianne was landing her triples in '76, Dorothy with all doubles was winning the Olympics - those upstarters with their triples still had to wait their turn. Like the quadsters today and the "they don't have the same/as much artistry" argument (which I think has some merit, but the whole situation is of course very complicated) -- during the doubles to triples transition, I seem to recall a sort of attitude that a lady doing a triple was initially seen as akin to "showing off" and not doing SERIOUS skating. Again, to me, a slightly different variation on the "they're too young/too juniorish/not artistic enough" arguments of today.

@moonvine, I don't remember all of these facts off the top of my head -- I just rewatched a whole bunch of stuff on youtube!

--------------
On another topic that's being mentioned here -- I very much remember Eric Heiden. Is he really that forgotten or unknown? His sporting achievements were epic.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, there's such a parallel to today -- when Fratianne was landing her triples in '76, Dorothy with all doubles was winning the Olympics - those upstarters with their triples still had to wait their turn. Like the quadsters today and the "they don't have the same/as much artistry" argument (which I think has some merit, but the whole situation is of course very complicated) -- during the doubles to triples transition, I seem to recall a sort of attitude that a lady doing a triple was initially seen as akin to "showing off" and not doing SERIOUS skating. Again, to me, a slightly different variation on the "they're too young/too juniorish/not artistic enough" arguments of today.

LOL! This very much reminds me of a quote from "Ice Castles." "Triples are just show off acrobatics. You know what the judges want and you give it to them better than anyone else."

labgoat

Updating WJC rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure Skating at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Games:
Mens Short Program

Igor Bobrin Soviet Union
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy626YoRxA8

Charlie Tickner United States (may be geoblocked)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlyGMrBeM9w&list=PLDA6133590C43A79E&index=30&t=0s

Jan Hoffmann East Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuNWxqeN7o&list=PLDA6133590C43A79E&index=32&t=0s

Robin Cousins Great Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8DY0J3dAA&list=PLDA6133590C43A79E&index=33&t=0s

Fun fact: Making Olympic appearances were David Santee, Scott Hamilton (1979 NHK SP), Fumio Igarashi (1979 NHK SP), Mitsuru Matsumura (1979 NHK SP), Jean-Christophe Simond, Brian Pockar, Rudi Cerne, & Christopher Howarth!

See results here...https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/winter/1980/FSK/mens-singles-short-program.html

more to follow later...

I should have liked to see Chris Howarth skate in Lake Placid...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
How do yall remember this stuff?

Google, youtube, remember this Board is full of fanatics. I would not want to use the interest or opinions here for marketing purposes. Look at the discussion about Alexa and Chris on this Board for a team that has never won an Olympic or world medal as individuals/team. We will write and debate pages and pages of discussions. The rest of the world might be more interested if Chris can fix cars efficiently and cheaply.