About women's equality or justice triumphs (I hope). | Golden Skate

About women's equality or justice triumphs (I hope).

Orlov

Medalist
We have a story here in Russia in another sport - mini-football, which attracted my attention only because of the last name of the participant - Arina Akatieva (Sofia Akatieva is promising figure skater from the Tutberidze group, who took second place in the Junior national championship and landed two quad in her LP)

"The 11-year-old player was not allowed to reach the final of the Russian championship, because she is a girl. The RFU intervened.

A young football player Arina Akatyeva not made it to the final of the championship of Russia on mini-football because she is a girl.

According to "E1", Arina plays for the boys 'team of 2008-2009 year of birth of the youth school "Torch" and she is the team captain.

She scored 21 goals (more than all the other players on the team) for her team and made a big contribution to reaching the final of the tournament, which will be held from March 1 to 8 in Nizhny Novgorod.

The Russian mini-football Federation refused to accept Arina's application for the boys ' team. This position is justified by the fact that the rules of the tournament state that it is held among young men.

Sergey Borovkov, Arina Akatyeva's coach says:

"She qualified with the boys and scored the most important goals in the preliminary stage of the tournament. Arina is the team's captain, the best player of her age in the country.

Arina has a talent from God. Six years ago, I doubted whether to take her to my group or not, but then I saw how she thinks, understands the coach, performs what is required of her"

For Arina, this is the last tournament she can win with her team. Most likely, the player from September will train and play in the Moscow sports school "Chertanovo".

According to the Baza telegram channel, the RFU (Russian Football Union) sided with the girl and demanded that she be allowed to compete.

Journalist Ivan Karpov said that the Association of mini-football of Russia (AMFR) agreed to allow Arina to participate in the tournament."

original

There is an interesting comment under the article:
"My nephew in "Torch", he is year older than this girl and he said she is real awesome even among boys of his age"

The news has become quite resonant, news about Arina's situation can be found on many major news portals. Perhaps it helped that the mini-football Federation changed its mind. Most of the people (at least according to comments in news portals) are on Arina's side. In Russia we have appreciated the talent and ability in the first place. I hope that Arina was allowed to be officially confirmed and she will participate in the final of the tournament. Good luck little girl!

Orlov

Medalist
Correction - in my article, "football" it's football, and not what the Americans call this word :laugh: Americans call football a "soccer"

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a game like "American football", Russian people would also be in favor of equality. I know little about this “American football” (only from movies :laugh:) but as far as I understand, one of the most important keys to success in it is to be able to beat people without arms and legs (by hitting the body). I'm not sure that a sport in which a lady has to fight a man will be popular in Russia. This type of equality is not very popular with us.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Correction - in my article, "football" it's football, and not what the Americans call this word :laugh: Americans call football a "soccer"

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a game like "American football", Russian people would also be in favor of equality. I know little about this “American football” (only from movies :laugh:) but as far as I understand, one of the most important keys to success in it is to be able to beat people without arms and legs (by hitting the body). I'm not sure that a sport in which a lady has to fight a man will be popular in Russia. This type of equality is not very popular with us.

US women soccer team is a formidable power. Although it seems futsal is not highly popular there.

Orlov

Medalist
US women soccer team is a formidable power

Okey, I'm not argue with that. I'm just say that in my article "football" is a civilized world-wide game in which players move the ball across the field without grabbing it in their hands and without monstrous systematic collisions with each other :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It leads to a lot of complications, i.e. separate dressing rooms, toilets, etc. though

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I'll be praying for Arina and her team! Good for them for changing their minds.

Beyond how incredibly unfair that is for her, I can't imagine it would have been good for the rest of the team's morale not to have their captain there. If she made it that far, leave her alone, sheesh.

Orlov

Medalist
I'll be praying for Arina and her team! Good for them for changing their minds.

Beyond how incredibly unfair that is for her, I can't imagine it would have been good for the rest of the team's morale not to have their captain there. If she made it that far, leave her alone, sheesh.

It's not even about "team's morale" (although of course this too) - in other articles it was written that she so good player that without her, the team has no chance to win, and with her, on the contrary, good chances.

Orlov

Medalist
Good news! It is officially confirmed that Arina is admitted to the tournament - the necessary change in the regulations has been made. But not only that - RFU instructed to create a working group to systematically change the regulations accordingly. All this in a review article done on sportsdaily.ru for the general public. Interestingly, the author of the article also noted the parallels with Sofia Akatyeva and even named the article accordingly (this is not surprising given the big popularity of FS in Russia). Here is a translation of this article. My comments are, as usual, in square brackets

"
Almost like Tutberidze's! The RFU allowed the girl to beat guys in football
Ural's Messi-girl

The Russian football Union has allowed 11-year-old Arina Akatyeva to play in the final 3rd stage of the Russian Junior mini-football championship. The corresponding amendments to the competition regulations were made today at the RFU Executive Committee in Moscow.

The official website of the RFU reported:

- Make a change to the Regulations on the national competition "ORGCHIM - Russian championship in mini-football (Futsal) among teams of players in 2002-2003, 2004-2005, 2006-2007, 2008-2009 of the 2019/2020 season", including indent 6 in paragraph 9 of the section "Russian championship in mini-football (Futsal) (boys, girls of 2008-2009)" as follows:
"At the III (final) stage of the Championship, it is allowed to include girls of the corresponding age in the application list of the boys' team of 2008-2009 as football players, if these girls were included in the application list of the corresponding boys' teams at the I and II stages of the Championship."
Instruct office of RFU, AMFR, women's football Committee, and youth football Committee to work out the criteria, principles, and grounds for girls' participation in youth teams in official football competitions, taking into account international experience.
To this end, instruct the General Secretary Alaev A. A. to create an appropriate working group

Akatyeva's story was actively discussed in social networks. A girl from Yekaterinburg plays for the boys' team of the 2008-2009 year of birth of the youth school "Torch".

She is the captain, leader and top scorer of the Ural team in the first stages of the tournament. In the videos, Akatyeva combines an elegant technique with cannon-like, but very accurate shots at the goal:

Ural's Messi-girl [she's number 11]

This summer, a potential superstar of women's football is going to be taken to the Moscow school "Chertanovo", which is now actively promoted at all levels, including the FNL, if not the RPL at all. It was at "Chertanovo" that Nadezhda Karpova, the most famous Russian player of recent years, played before leaving for Europe.

Thus, the Final of the Russian championship will obviously be Akatyeva's last tournament for her native Yekaterinburg team. The final round of the championship will be held on March 1-8 in Nizhny Novgorod, so Arina has a chance to get the men's title right for Women's day [March 8, it's important holiday in our country].

Akatyeva's participation in the tournament was opposed by the organizers, who referred to the fact that the competition according to documents was "among young men". The RFU Executive Committee eliminated this formal legal obstacle and at the same time instructed the General Secretary Alexander Alaev to finalize the regulations taking into account the interests of young girls playing at the men's level.

Polina Yumasheva, Chairman of the RFU women's football Committee, was very pleased with the decision.

"It is very good that the RFU together with the AMF managed to find a solution in the interests of Arina and other girls who are engaged in football. She made a big contribution to the game of her team and it would be unfair if she did not play in the final. Arina's story inspires optimism, women's football in Russia is interesting, necessary, and I believe it will become popular. I think that this case gives us the opportunity to look at the opportunities of girls to participate in competitions globally, taking into account world practice, " Yumasheva said in a press release from the RFU.

Professional football, like most sports, strictly separates men's and women's tournaments, not allowing mixed teams, except for exhibition projects. There were precedents when men's clubs tried to claim a female player, but received a ban from FIFA and the local football Federation. In all cases, FIFA officials refer to points in the regulations.

At the same time, in children's football, such as hockey, the performance of girls for a team of guys is allowed without restrictions. However, as adults, they should only play in women's leagues.

It's funny that Akatyeva has a namesake, a Muscovite Sofia Akatyeva – one of the many pupils of Eteri Tutberidze who can compete with men. In figure skating, the men's and women's singles are also rigidly separated. For a long time it was believed that women – with a few rare exceptions – are fundamentally unable to compete with men in jumps and complex elements.

However, Tutberidze's students regularly perform men's level programs and receive score at the level of the best men in the world, so they can also compete with Hanyu and Chen in official tournaments. Many fans seriously dream of seeing such a tournament. [Don't be grumpy dear fans of Hanyu and Chen :) - this is an article for the general public and multi-quads programs here are called "men's programs", so, let's put off "how dare they compare the quads of Chen and Shcherbakova!" for a while :)]

Among all Olympic sports, there is only one in which men and women compete against each other on equal terms. This is equestrian sport. Moreover, women riders have a clear advantage in modern dressage. At the 2016 Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro, the girls took gold, silver and bronze in individual dressage, and the best of the men, Spaniard Severo Lopez, finished fifth.

However, this is not due to the ease or plasticity of women, but to the paradoxical fact: modern equestrian dressage is mainly a female hobby. Something like rhythmic gymnastics.

At the same time, almost all jockeys at the races and cross-country Champions are still men, since they require a huge amount of hand strength and tight control over the horse.

"

Correction - in my article, "football" it's football, and not what the Americans call this word :laugh: Americans call football a "soccer."

Strange as it seems, the word "soccer" is not an American invention. Blame the Brits. The official sport was "Association Football." In typical British sports slang, they extracted the "soc" out of Association and added "er."

Originally I think a "soccer" was actually the athlete rather than the game. (?) A soccer played "association football," while a "rugger" played rugby -- a sport closer to the American game.

The reason that women's "soccer" is so much more popular and successful than men's in the United States goes back to the big push of the 1970s. Congress passed a law (Title IX, 1972) that required all colleges and universities that received fedearal funds (which was basically all colleges and universities n the U.S.) to provide equal opportunities to women who wanted to participate in a sport.

Schools had to create sports opportunities for female students, and establishing women's soccer programs was one way to satisfy the federal requirement.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have a nomanclature issue with this whole subject. And There may be rules.

"The powers that be" decided to label some sports by sex. For instance, men's shot put and women's shot put. I have issues with a lady playing on the mens team. I have no issue if the mens team was called some generic name. "Unlimited shot put or all inclusive shot put.

We all know that some ladies singles skaters can beat many men. But they cant skate with them.

In my sport of shooting gongs at 800 yards, the rules say who ever does the best wins, no matter what sex, but there is also a ladies class.

AT the Reno aircraft races, your sex doesnt matter...who ever flys the fastest wins. Its in the rules.

The American Ice Dancer Jennifer Wester set 17 shooting records in one day , and yes, many of them were in the ladies class. She didnt compete against men. Those are the rules.

If the rules of Russian Mini soccer/football say that ladies cant compete, or they can, so be it.
If you dont like the rules, change them or start your own Russian mini-soccer league.
Chris who gets beaten by little girls all the time.

If you dont like the rules, change them...

I think that is the thrust of this whole movement. People don't like the rules so they are endeavoring to change them.

However, change requires a catalyst. No one will start thinking about changing the rules until some pioneer comes along to call attention to them. In figure skating, it was Madge Syers who jumped up and decided to compete against the men at the 1908 World Championship. (She got silver.)

The reaction of the ISU was to change the rules. They invented the new sport of Women's Figure Skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think that is the thrust of this whole movement. People don't like the rules so they are endeavoring to change them.

However, change requires a catalyst. No one will start thinking about changing the rules until some pioneer comes along to call attention to them. In figure skating, it was Madge Syers who jumped up and decided to compete against the men at the 1908 World Championship. (She got silver.)

The reaction of the ISU was to change the rules. They invented the new sport of Women's Figure Skating.

Mathman, that is soooooo cooool. I never heard that story! Wouldnt you just love to go back in your time machine and watch the 1908 Championship!!! (During the figures, I am going to go out to lunch..... :)

MalAssada

Medalist
Being from the country of football, I'm surprised there isn't a girls league! Curious to see what they'll do once puberty hits the team, and the boys get stronger and faster... will she still be the best?