Fear of overbooting and overblading (is that even a term?) | Golden Skate

Fear of overbooting and overblading (is that even a term?)

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hey everyone.

According to everyone I asked: I should get new skates.

Bit of a background: I am a 25 y/o male, 5'3 or 160cm, 135 lbs or 60 kg. Im working on my one foot spins, spirals, bunny hops, waltz jumps (can't do it yet), and some other basic stuff (clockwise bw crossovers, two of my 3-turns, mohawks). Been wearing Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blade since September, but heel slippage and impossible blade repositioning meant I need to invest on good fitting skates. Also I have a flat right foot.

Boots: I went to my pro shop and they recommended Risport RF3, Risport Royal Pro, and Edea Chorus. There were no chorus at hand so they put me in concerto for sizing. I think RP has more synthetic materials compared to RF3 making it more lighter. I'm just worried if they are appropriate for me because they have stiffness ratings ranging from 60-70. (I know age, weight, height, and level are factors here) Also if you guys have experience on these boots or can elaborate on RF3s and RP differences, let me know.

Blades: My coach suggested Coronation Ace. At the pro shop: MK Pro, Legacy 7, and CA. The pro shop told me I shouldn't get revolutions at this point. Are these blades appropriate for my level? Any advice? I'm learning waltz jumps but haven't really landed one so I'm scared that these blades might be too advanced for me.

Thank you so much guys! :D

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think you've been given excellent advice. You're also very sensible checking it out to make sure.

I have no personal experience of current Risport models or Edea (other than putting my feet into a friend's Overtures to feel how they differ from "traditional" boots). It seems to me from what I read, see and hear with other skaters, none of the suggestions would be "over booting" you. Go with the ones that fit you best. Adults can usually handle more stiffness at beginner level than children and there is less danger of over booting them. (Although don't get me started on the people who can't even do a single Salchow and still insist on Ice Fly being the right boot for them!) I know several adults of your standard who wear the Royal Pro and are very happy and comfortable in them. I also know one - male - of similar age and build to you but much higher level who has just moved into them and absolutely adores them.

As to blades, you would struggle to go wrong with the Coronation Ace! It's been around for decades and has an excellent reputation because it's an excellent blade and would be ideal for you at your current level and as you progress. Personally, I don't think anybody needs Revolutions unless they are doing elements that would possibly benefit from lighter weight equipment, ie quads, but I'm old school, grumpy and also hate the look of them. :laugh:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hey everyone.
Blades: My coach suggested Coronation Ace. At the pro shop: MK Pro, Legacy 7, and CA. The pro shop told me I shouldn't get revolutions at this point. Are these blades appropriate for my level? Any advice? I'm learning waltz jumps but haven't really landed one so I'm scared that these blades might be too advanced for me.
You would be overblading with an advanced blade such as Gold Seal and Pattern 99 and comparable blades. The blades you've mentioned are all intermediate blades and will cause no problems; in fact, they will be a big improvement over the Mark IV. Note that these three blades all have a 7 ft radius main rocker vs the 8 ft radius main rocker on the Mark IV, but you'll readily adjust at this stage. The Legacy 7 has a flatter spin rocker than the Pro and the CA. Doesn't bother some skaters, but if you plan to pursue spins, the other two are better choices. Somewhat of a toss-up on personal preference between the Pro and the CA. In the absence of further input, go with your coach's suggestion.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I think you've been given excellent advice. You're also very sensible checking it out to make sure.

I have no personal experience of current Risport models or Edea (other than putting my feet into a friend's Overtures to feel how they differ from "traditional" boots). It seems to me from what I read, see and hear with other skaters, none of the suggestions would be "over booting" you. Go with the ones that fit you best. Adults can usually handle more stiffness at beginner level than children and there is less danger of over booting them. (Although don't get me started on the people who can't even do a single Salchow and still insist on Ice Fly being the right boot for them!) I know several adults of your standard who wear the Royal Pro and are very happy and comfortable in them. I also know one - male - of similar age and build to you but much higher level who has just moved into them and absolutely adores them.

As to blades, you would struggle to go wrong with the Coronation Ace! It's been around for decades and has an excellent reputation because it's an excellent blade and would be ideal for you at your current level and as you progress. Personally, I don't think anybody needs Revolutions unless they are doing elements that would possibly benefit from lighter weight equipment, ie quads, but I'm old school, grumpy and also hate the look of them. :laugh:

Thank you so much for your input. I was confused because I am still a beginner and being put on an intermediate boots and intermediate blades. :laugh:

Side note, according to my skate tech, a lot of adults insists on buying ice flies (some even insist pianos) They have tried to explain to them that these are too stiff and too expensive for beginners, but that did not dissuade them. But may be it works for them? :laugh:

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
You would be overblading with an advanced blade such as Gold Seal and Pattern 99 and comparable blades. The blades you've mentioned are all intermediate blades and will cause no problems; in fact, they will be a big improvement over the Mark IV. Note that these three blades all have a 7 ft radius main rocker vs the 8 ft radius main rocker on the Mark IV, but you'll readily adjust at this stage. The Legacy 7 has a flatter spin rocker than the Pro and the CA. Doesn't bother some skaters, but if you plan to pursue spins, the other two are better choices. Somewhat of a toss-up on personal preference between the Pro and the CA. In the absence of further input, go with your coach's suggestion.

Thank you so much! You have been really helpful to me by answering all my questions, I really appreciate it. I initially planned on getting legacy 7 a long time ago (dreaming of new skates and blades when I start toe loops) but upon talking to a lot of skaters, they all swear by MK and Wilson blades, especially CA. I'm not great at spins yet but would really love to improve them. Also, would parabolic blades mean anything at my current level?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I'm not great at spins yet but would really love to improve them.

Then definitely go with MK Pro or CA. It took me a year to get one or two shaky revolutions of a scratch spin in Jackson blades and about two minutes to triple that in CAs.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you so much! You have been really helpful to me by answering all my questions, I really appreciate it. I initially planned on getting legacy 7 a long time ago (dreaming of new skates and blades when I start toe loops) but upon talking to a lot of skaters, they all swear by MK and Wilson blades, especially CA. I'm not great at spins yet but would really love to improve them. Also, would parabolic blades mean anything at my current level?
Parabolics were discussed in this thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?78279&p=2299926#post2299926

<I've never skated on parabolics and have no opinion to offer.>

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone.

According to everyone I asked: I should get new skates.

Bit of a background: I am a 25 y/o male, 5'3 or 160cm, 135 lbs or 60 kg. Im working on my one foot spins, spirals, bunny hops, waltz jumps (can't do it yet), and some other basic stuff (clockwise bw crossovers, two of my 3-turns, mohawks). Been wearing Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blade since September, but heel slippage and impossible blade repositioning meant I need to invest on good fitting skates. Also I have a flat right foot.

Boots: I went to my pro shop and they recommended Risport RF3, Risport Royal Pro, and Edea Chorus. There were no chorus at hand so they put me in concerto for sizing. I think RP has more synthetic materials compared to RF3 making it more lighter. I'm just worried if they are appropriate for me because they have stiffness ratings ranging from 60-70. (I know age, weight, height, and level are factors here) Also if you guys have experience on these boots or can elaborate on RF3s and RP differences, let me know.

Thank you so much guys! :D

I'd go with the Risport RF3 Pro if those work for your foot, the Royal Pro is a little too much. Does that work with your flat foot? You may need a prostetic for that foot/boot.

Also, for a blade, Coro Ace or MK Pro standard. You don't need anything fancy right now like parabolic or revolution.

And you definitely do not need to overblade with a Pattern 99, Gold Seal, Gold Star or Phantom.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Also, for a blade, standard JW Coronation Ace is my suggestion because you are used to an 8ft rocker. MK Pro would have a 7ft.
Could you please clarify this? The CA also has a 7 ft radius main rocker. I think the only current production intermediate blade with an 8 ft radius main rocker is the Legacy 8 (regular or Matrix).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Could you please clarify this? The CA also has a 7 ft radius main rocker. I think the only current production intermediate blade with an 8 ft radius main rocker is the Legacy 8 (regular or Matrix).

Grr I had a brain fart ok? I had the top level blades on my mind when I typed that.

Yes, OP as I know and was kindly reminded, the intermediate blades now all have a 7ft rocker so get the one you want. Just don't get a Legacy because they're flatter.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Also, would parabolic blades mean anything at my current level?

Nope. Don't waste your money. Parabolics only really kick in when you have very strong edges. And then you either think they're brilliant fun or you scare the H E Double Hockey Sticks out of yourself and change blades back to parallel ones!

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'd go with the Risport RF3 Pro if those work for your foot, the Royal Pro is a little too much. Does that work with your flat foot? You may need a prostetic for that foot/boot.

Also, for a blade, Coro Ace or MK Pro standard. You don't need anything fancy right now like parabolic or revolution.

And you definitely do not need to overblade with a Pattern 99, Gold Seal, Gold Star or Phantom.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. My coach, sharpener, and fitter told me to get superfeet. I'll try them out on my artiste once I get them. When I tried them on the RF3 pro felt stiff but snug, the royal pro was little bulky but comfortable. I'll go back to my fitter soon once I have considered all my options and I'll try them out again. Do you have any experience on risport skates?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Don't waste your money. Parabolics only really kick in when you have very strong edges. And then you either think they're brilliant fun or you scare the H E Double Hockey Sticks out of yourself and change blades back to parallel ones!

Gotcha! thanks for your input! :D

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your advice. My coach, sharpener, and fitter told me to get superfeet. I'll try them out on my artiste once I get them. When I tried them on the RF3 pro felt stiff but snug, the royal pro was little bulky but comfortable. I'll go back to my fitter soon once I have considered all my options and I'll try them out again. Do you have any experience on risport skates?

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha! thanks for your input! :D

Yes, I've worn Risports for years. I currently wear top level dance boot by Risport built off Dance Elite. Used to also wear Royal ELite freestyle boots but switched to custom Jackson.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
So... Long overdue update. Just got my skates about two weeks ago.

I got the RF3 Pro with the Coronation Ace Lite blades. (store ran out of regular aces in my size and made me try these new lite blades). I went a size smaller compared to my old jackson artistes. Also these boots seem low cut. These are a lot shorter in height compared to the artiste. My blade size went from 10.33 to 9.5 inches.

Initially, these are stiff as a rock and I felt 'rockier'. During my second session, I realized that my arch pain is virtually gone, turns are smoother, and I CAN FINALLY HOLD MY FORWARD RIGHT OUTSIDE EDGE! Spins are meh, still working on my one foot spins but I can now do 2.5 revs on my 1 foot spins. Toepicks are larger than my Mark IVs but these blades have more of a rocker and I dont accidentally hit my toepicks as much as before. Been doing mini waltz jumps and two foot jumps and my heels are not slipping. I do feel slower compared to my old skates but I feel more secure.

Just wanna thank you all for your advice, you all steered me in the right direction. The process of getting new skates, researching, and asking experienced skaters/techs, made me learn so much about equipment and now i'm considering becoming a skate tech. :laugh:

Nimyue

On the Ice
So... Long overdue update. Just got my skates about two weeks ago.

I got the RF3 Pro with the Coronation Ace Lite blades. (store ran out of regular aces in my size and made me try these new lite blades). I went a size smaller compared to my old jackson artistes. Also these boots seem low cut. These are a lot shorter in height compared to the artiste. My blade size went from 10.33 to 9.5 inches.

Initially, these are stiff as a rock and I felt 'rockier'. During my second session, I realized that my arch pain is virtually gone, turns are smoother, and I CAN FINALLY HOLD MY FORWARD RIGHT OUTSIDE EDGE! Spins are meh, still working on my one foot spins but I can now do 2.5 revs on my 1 foot spins. Toepicks are larger than my Mark IVs but these blades have more of a rocker and I dont accidentally hit my toepicks as much as before. Been doing mini waltz jumps and two foot jumps and my heels are not slipping. I do feel slower compared to my old skates but I feel more secure.

Just wanna thank you all for your advice, you all steered me in the right direction. The process of getting new skates, researching, and asking experienced skaters/techs, made me learn so much about equipment and now i'm considering becoming a skate tech. :laugh:

I went from a Jackson to the Risport RP, and I too had to get used to the lower cut. I am an adult with a long history of injuring my ankles, so I was a bit nervous at first with the lower ankle height. But omg I Love my Risports so much. They fit my feet perfectly.

I hope your boots end up working as well for you as mine did. Happy skating!

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I went from a Jackson to the Risport RP, and I too had to get used to the lower cut. I am an adult with a long history of injuring my ankles, so I was a bit nervous at first with the lower ankle height. But omg I Love my Risports so much. They fit my feet perfectly.

I love them so far!!! They're like magic. These are considerably stiffer compared to my artistes, but the break in period for these Rf3 pro is much shorter than I thought. I dont think I'm gonna go back to a higher cut boot.

My arch pain came back though but I put superfeet in them and it feels better now. The only thing that's weird now is the toe area feels a little bit too wide (was snug before), i'll cut my superfeet more I guess. But if they still feel wide, I'll go to my tech.

pwincessonice

Rinkside

Did you went from Jackson Freestyle to Royal Pro? How low is the lower cut on Royal Pro? I tried RF3 but I did not like the lack of low cut I'm used to with my freestyle.