It's not easy being green... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

It's not easy being green...

My eyes perceived it (at the time) -- and still perceive it -- as black.

It looks black to me, too, when I see Tessa by herself. But when she is side by side wirh Scott in his bkacky-black-black outfit, the dress doesn't look like the same color at all.

It's hard to tell what tricks television picture tubes and computer monitors play on our eyes.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The new museum is the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum.

The museum is not specific to skating ... meaning that visitors who are not skating fans will have a chance to see the dress and to learn something about Peggy and the sport. :)

And of course, skating fans will happily remember Peggy and recognize her dress.

I was floored when talking with a younger coworker. I mentioned Peggy Fleming and she had no idea who she is.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those subscribing to Toller Cranston's superstition that green falls down might be worried...

Here is Toller's theory given during this Gordeeva Grinkov 1990 EC SP
https://youtu.be/NcbHonxvC9E

I've watched this before. I love the part ... hilarious ... when Toller says, "Green has historically been unlucky. I've never worn it, and I've never worn it because I'd be afraid to wear it."

ETA: It's much funnier to hear how Toller says it. :laugh:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Green will of course be hugely important this year at worlds given St. Patrick's Day falls in the same week. Pardon unintentional irony of using the word falls...

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've watched this before. I love the part ... hilarious ... when Toller says, "Green has historically been unlucky. I've never worn it, and I've never worn it because I'd be afraid to wear it."

Toller had a flair for the ridiculous. I wonder if Peggy Fleming heard this story and what she might have said about it.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Green will of course be hugely important this year at worlds given St. Patrick's Day falls in the same week. Pardon unintentional irony of using the word falls...

This could be a very interesting championship...

Oshun

Rinkside
I don't remember any of those except Katrina Witt and I can't recall if she fell, but it was a fall from perfect program.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toller had a flair for the ridiculous. I wonder if Peggy Fleming heard this story and what she might have said about it.

Ha! She'd say: Actually, my dress was chartreuse, not green.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't remember any of those except Katrina Witt and I can't recall if she fell, but it was a fall from perfect program.

Maybe you watched her skate it in the German nationals, which the commentator Debbie (commenting with Brian Orser) called a disaster, and quoted Witt as saying afterward, "That will never happen again."

I remembered her skating it beautifully at the Olympics, so I re-watched it. It's a stunning program, IMO, especially the middle section. She doubled a loop near the end and did only a 3T+2T for her combination early on, but she didn't let that affect a single moment of the program. As Sandra Bezic has said, Katerina knew she wasn't competitive for a medal. It had been six years since she'd retired after 1988 Worlds.

Re-watching it just now, I was spellbound. She took me back to the 12th century. I wasn't thinking of her as being Robin Hood, so much. But she evoked a time, a place: the forests of England, and a whole mode of living under the blue skies with like-minded people and purpose. The music was breathtaking and transported me.

Okay, I guess that ends my time-traveling for the moment. :) But really, that one-minute middle section reminds me how much figure skating has lost. There were sixty seconds to create art, as opposed to two or three. And that last sentence isn't just me talking. Charlie White said, about choreographing "Wicked Game" for James/Cipres, that once the elements were placed, there were only a few seconds to show what the program was really about.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/1f405c098c111703bc620a4d1dea6e30/tumblr_mlkrzaChZP1qk34qfo1_1280.jpg

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
LOL I read that as "healthy green." I would call it moss green. For me it's a beautiful colour, because it exists in nature. It's an unusual choice for a young lady skater, but it suits Rika.

:biggrin: Healthy green would work too Sai Bon! You understood what I meant.. a color from nature. .it suits her beautifully. Especially like the lowered hem in a slightly darker shade..

megrin

Rinkside
When I hear a green costume, I think of Kevin Reynolds' green tree costume when he was taking Tarasova's temporary lessons - but I can't find any video so I'm not sure.