Coronavirus and the World Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the World Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

guan1963

Rinkside
The problem is public contagion, the fans come from evrywhere, the virus could come suddenly in following days, who knows...

Nachi

On the Ice
Some people love to spread bs. Not sorry because that's just what it is and as a scientist this drives me mad! People spreading nonsense they either picked up somewhere else or they just make it up.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Certain parts in the north of Italy are also under lock down and quarantine, right? Which is where a lot of ITA figure skating is practiced.

Only few towns are actually under lock down, most infected cases are in Lombardia so those who do train around Milan or Bergamo could have some issue, even though from what i've read they'll test each athlete just in case.

Daniel Grassl and Gabriele Frangipane trains in Egna which is in Trentino, there hasn't been a case there yet so no problem.

Manitou

Medalist
10%???

As of today:
Hubei: 65597 cases out of 58.5 million people = 0.11%
China: 78497 cases out of 1386 million people = 0.005%
South Korea: 1766 cases out of 51.5 million people = 0.003%
Italy: 453 cases out of 60.5 million people = 0.00075%
Japan: 189 cases out of 126.8 million people = 0.00015%

And in China the number of new cases per day is now decreasing.

I have no idea who runs this corona-nonsense in the media and politics and what interest they have in it. For me it's a proof that paranoia is taking over. I hope we are not witnessing a collapse of the modern world. And its us who causes it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I have no idea who runs this corona-nonsense in the media and politics and what interest they have in it. For me it's a proof that paranoia is taking over. I hope we are not witnessing the collapse of the modern world. And its us who causes it.

I think fake news even from politicians themselves are what is making people more skeptical, and media journalists are there for it, to capitalize on that fear.

Italy has had all those cases recently because we wanted to test everyone in those regions, just to see how big is the issue. Now we're seen as the infected ones, basically we're taking the blame for running those tests which is absurd, the reality is that your country might have just as much infected cases and you don't even know.

Most politicians are too scared to face the consequences they prefer saying "it's just a flu bro" because they don't want to face a potential economic crisis for it, and yes technically it's not deadly disease, people who died had other diseases or even just dealing with lack of hygiene or poor health system in their countries.

What is important to understand is:

1) Most people recover from it, it's not a plague.

2) It's extremely easy to spread, it is pandemic or it will become pandemic very soon, so be prepared (which mostly means take care of your hyigiene, try to avoid shake hands/hug/kiss in public or even sneezing in your hands).

3) Unlikely it will be contained in a week or a month because it is that easy to spread and you can also take it twice as it happened today to a japanese woman.

Country
Norway
10%???

As of today:
Hubei: 65597 cases out of 58.5 million people = 0.11%
China: 78497 cases out of 1386 million people = 0.005%
South Korea: 1766 cases out of 51.5 million people = 0.003%
Italy: 453 cases out of 60.5 million people = 0.00075%
Japan: 189 cases out of 126.8 million people = 0.00015%

And in China the number of new cases per day is now decreasing.

It would be better if you came back with numbers in 6-12 months, because this is just the start. Nobody said 10% is infected now, but could be.

The number in Italy and how fast it has spread is concerning.

Yesterday the first infected person was confirmed in Norway, now 3 more just got confirmed. Almost everybody just came home from winter holiday in Italy. Around at least 100 people has been tested today just in Norway, people who just came home from travelling in Europe.

Well, lets have a look in one week.

I would not be surprised if WC would get cancelled.

Manitou

Medalist
I would not be surprised if WC would get cancelled.

Imagine how cool that would be: the entire drama with Evgenia, Alina and Liza missing, the quad kids taking over, only three places for the Russians - this entire drama would be immediately solved.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I don't think that worlds would get cancelled as so much organisation has gone into it, I think it is more likely to take place behind closed doors like they are doing for some football matches right now.

It would be strange watching our favourite skaters compete without anyone to cheer them on, though.

deneb

On the Ice
It would be better if you came back with numbers in 6-12 months, because this is just the start. Nobody said 10% is infected now, but could be.
No.
"in China the number of new cases per day is now decreasing" means that the spreading has passed its peak, in other words, its halfway. So the final numbers can be at max twice and not 100 (or even 1000) times.

The number in Italy and how fast it has spread is concerning.
No, it's not concerning. It's normal.
Spreading never follows a linear distribution. Spreading always follows a normal distribution. In Italy is on the ascending and steepest part of the curve. In China is in the descending part.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It would be strange watching our favourite skaters compete without anyone to cheer them on, though.

They'd have a few spectators, like media, skaters, and other authorized personnel. It wouldn't be much different than Junior Worlds.

I hope we are not witnessing a collapse of the modern world. And its us who causes it.

On this point, liberals and conservatives all agree. We are witnessing the end of the world, and we caused it.:yes:

Thjngs fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world;...
The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please observe Goldenskate guidelines, and in particular guidelines on political posts:

— Politics or posts that are political or religious in nature
GS is an international forum and embraces members of all cultures, therefore, it is not the place to discuss politics or religion.

Thank you!

Shani

On the Ice
There is such a lot of nonsense out there about covid 19 right now. But reality is maybe not that world championships will be postponed but lets have free isu internet coverage so worldwide fans can watch for free. And let them look hard and fast at Olymic and world rules for next year so athletes and countries are not penalized for the health crisis.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No.
"in China the number of new cases per day is now decreasing" means that the spreading has passed its peak, in other words, its halfway. So the final numbers can be at max twice and not 100 (or even 1000) times.

That's not surprising since China is pretty much on lockdown at the moment, and has been for a few weeks. In most other places around the world it's business as usual, so things could get worse before they get better outside of China.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Imagine how cool that would be: the entire drama with Evgenia, Alina and Liza missing, the quad kids taking over, only three places for the Russians - this entire drama would be immediately solved.

Why I have a feeling that you WANT WC to be cancelled - for pure personal reasons having nothing to do with health concerns? Why is that, I wonder? :rolleye:

Country
Norway
That's not surprising since China is pretty much on lockdown at the moment, and has been for a few weeks. In most other places around the world it's business as usual, so things could get worse before they get better outside of China.

Excactly. In Norway the goverment only place people in quarantee now if they feel sick and just came from like Italy and China, or if they have had contact with infected people. There has been talks about what we do if it get worse, like have a lockdown, but they just sit and wait for it to happen first, before that i´m afraid things will get out of control.

The uncertainty on how the virus spread, the incubation time and so on is factors that makes the numbers unsure.

There is a fine line between being hysteric and not being worried enough and using early numbers to predict the outcome. Statistics in this matter is not useful if you don´t look at the context and when you operate with so many uncertain factors.

I´m not worried for myself but my father has diabetes, high blood pressure and bad lungs. He could get really sick and therefore I´m not fond of people not doing the best to stop the virus. I read about people who don´t care about hygiene because they don´t care if they get the virus.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good thing there are so few competitions remaining in the season. Junior Worlds taking place seems like a sure thing unless the situation unexpectedly escalates within a week, and I am knocking on wood for the remaining three events I see in the Upcoming list - Worlds especially, but also Egna and Coupe du Printemps.

And unless the situation can be somehow remedied, which I hope it can, I feel sorry for everyone who was/is hoping to go to spring shows, audience and skaters alike. We can only wait and see :[

Zaki

On the Ice
Reading some of these comments makes me feel sick much more than a possible coronavirus. It’s unbelievable how people are speculating over a country which has the only guilt to had run too many tests, even when people were not showing any symptom nor they were connected to the red zones of Codogno and the villages in the Lodi area which are now in lockdown.

And just for your information (if any of you cares about it) the number of people positive to COVID-19 is not the one showed on TV, because in those 650 cases are counted ALL the people tested positive to the virus at a FIRST test but not everyone was then confirmed by the second one run by the ISS (National Istitute of Health), which is, by the way, the only institution allowed to confirm the COVID-19 cases. In fact, the real numbers are not so high and despite 17 deaths (all elderly people AND with previous serious health problems) the number of cured is increasing to over 40. Let’s also consider that many of the infected are not in particular concerning situations.

The thing that is harming the most is the ignorance and the irrational fear.

NaVi

Medalist
There is a FINA World Diving Series event being held in Montreal this weekend. I know nothing about diving, but this this seems to be the equivalent of a Grand Prix event going from this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FINA_Diving_World_Series

After confirming last week that the Chinese team will skip the competition, Diving Canada said Thursday that other countries, including Japan, South Korea, Italy and France, will also be absent. (According to Diving Canada, the absence of China this weekend is due to visa problems, not to coronavirus.)

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/organiz...nt-are-taking-coronavirus-seriously-1.4830422

Status
Not open for further replies.