Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating | Golden Skate

Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating

macy

Record Breaker
oh wow, how sad for both of them. but it sounds like Chris's body just can't take anymore, and health is always 100% top priority. i'm happy they were able to go out on a high note with their last US title.

hoping Alexa has luck finding a good partner and wishing her lots of success.

heartyxo

On the Ice
They’ve been through so much yet have achieved so much! They are definitely the best pair the US has had in a long time. Alexa is an amazing skater and I hope she finds a great partner and more success. Wishing Chris all the best too, it’s never an easy decision and it’s great to see him prioritising his health.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
:( But I think I had seen this coming ever since 4CC, I get 100% what she means says "Chris was physically there but he wasn't present. It was like I was skating with a ghost." Best of luck to the both of them, and may she find a good partner she can continue her career with.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Sad for them both, but glad that they both seem to be at peace with the decision and are so supportive of each other. Good for Chris for prioritizing his physical / mental health and supporting Alexa in her wish to continue competing. As others have said, it's great that they were able to win the US Pairs title again together this season. I hope she finds a good partner to continue with, she's a great skater!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not really surprising really, but still a pity we won't be seeing them at worlds after all. I hope Alexa finds a good new partner, and it is good to see them as together as ever. Let's hope Chris' mental health improves as well.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Very sad to see this. I know people have a lot of mixed feelings about them, but they were truly a world-class pair team when they were on and nobody can ever take that away from them.

Opinions aside, I sincerely hope that Chris is able to get the help that he needs. Depression is not something to mess with and I'm glad he's making his mental health a priority. I wish Alexa the best of luck with her partner search and I hope she's able to continue her career at the highest level.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved Chris and Alexa together :cheer: But it sounds as though this decision is the best for Chris, and Chris and Alexa know what is really important:

Alexa: “I’m his wife over his skating partner. We know skating ends and life continues. For us, our marriage is what’s important”

And that Alexa still wants to compete. Chris: Alexa “is fire on ice. Nothing can stop her”.

Best of luck to Chris, I hope he opens a luxury car repair shop and spends quality time with Diesel, Cami, Muffy and Scarlett (I think I got the names right ;) )

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dreaded double post, but separate topic.

My homie Nate Bartholamay for Alexa :hap10: Word is he wants to return if his knee will let him....Let me speak it into existence.

(People have been trying to suggest Danny for every available pair girl for four years. He’s not leaving Tarah. We need realism ;) )

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really feel for him. Such a hard decision. He loves his wife. I hope he finds happiness and peace in his next chapter.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not really surprising really, but still a pity we won't be seeing them at worlds after all. I hope Alexa finds a good new partner, and it is good to see them as together as ever. Let's hope Chris' mental health improves as well.

It must have been a tough decision weeks before worlds. And it must have been a strong feeling because many would have done worlds and then retired. Alexa is determined but it might be hard for her to find a partner and be ready to take a spot for the olympics.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

My homie Nate Bartholamay for Alexa :hap10: Word is he wants to return if his knee will let him....Let me speak it into existence.

(People have been trying to suggest Danny for every available pair girl for four years. He’s not leaving Tarah. We need realism ;) )

:agree:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stunned and not stunned, all at the same time. I've always been a big fan of theirs, but lately Chris was really starting to struggle. Glad they are taking charge of their mental health and that they had the courage to make these tough decisions.

Seven Sisters, you beat me to it! I've dreamed of a partnership with Alexa and Danny O'Shea for a long time. If not Danny, maybe Brandon Frasier? Sounds like more tough decisions coming up...In the meantime, as a tribute to them, I have to post my all-time favorite Tweet of them. To see their 4Tw live was a thrill. https://twitter.com/IceJohnstone/status/951680770170671104?s=20

noskates

Record Breaker
This makes me very sad. What makes Alexa and Chris so special on the ice is the obvious love and chemistry between the two of them. I'm sure Alexa will look good with Danny or Nate or Brandon or Joe Blow but I think whoever that guy is he'll be taking on some real challenges with Chris always standing in the background. I just wonder what could have happened between the euphoria of winning Nationals and the the trainwreck at 4CCs. Many have said, and I observed, Chris just sort of gave up in the short program. Alexa is 28 I think and maybe it's time to just move on with the rest of their lives and their marraige.

I think US Pairs are in a world of hurt.

Okay - read the article. Chris is bring treated for depression. That is an all-consuming and impactful diagnosis and I understand now how difficult it must have been for him to continue competing. I do hope he gets the help he needs. And if Alexa finds a partner - more power to her.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I love Nate and could definitely see him with Alexa. His knee concerns me though. I still won't give up hope for Danny for Alexa. And how much say does USFSA have in the matter? I don't know. I suppose they can't force anybody to do anything...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think US Pairs are in a world of hurt.

Oooh, I so disagree! We've got Ashley and Tim and Jessica and Brian for Worlds. :)

Well, I love the confidence of you speaking it into existence! Personally, I can't see Alexa and Nate together, but certainly it could happen despite my lack of vision. I agree that Danny's not leaving Tarah, but people are gonna dream. And I'm not at all surprised that Nate wants to return.

Like many, I'm not surprised about Chris. But I am beyond proud of both Chris and Alexa for the way they're handling this. I hope he finds a clunker Camaro right away and starts tinkering, to help bring him out of his depression. In conjunction with the professional help he needs, of course. My heart has really been going out to Chris for 18 months or so. It's very courageous of him to take this action. So wonderful, too, that he felt able to say to Alexa right on the ice after the SP: "I'm done." What a gift, to be able to be so completely open with each other.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As my favorite skater taught me this season, never say never! I will continue to hope for Alexa and Danny. You just never know what might happen!

ana

On the Ice
Sad news. I hope Chris will recover from his depression and I wish all the best. I miss their skating already and I hope Alex will find a great partner.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I Just saw this online a few minutes ago. I’m not surprised, although I am sorry. I wish them both well.