Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chris Knierim Steps away from Competitive Skating

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Well, I love the confidence of you speaking it into existence! Personally, I can't see Alexa and Nate together, but certainly it could happen despite my lack of vision. I agree that Danny's not leaving Tarah, but people are gonna dream. And I'm not at all surprised that Nate wants to return.

If we're speculating on new partners, I'd suggest Mervin Tran (mainly because I'd like to see him at an ISU competition again).

Hope that Chris recovers soon and Alexa finds a good partner.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
:sad21: So sad but health is 100% the main priority, but really going to miss them. They didn’t hit very often but when they did, it was amazing. Going to miss one of my favorite pairs’ teams.

dancelion21

On the Ice
It's unfortunate, but based on the article, this was absolutely the best decision for Chris's mental and physical health. I hope Alexa can find a new partner, she's such a strong skater, and any guy would be lucky to have her as a partner.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not too surprising. Interesting that many on this forum suspected something like this and were shot down--and now, a month later, we know they were right.

I'm sorry to hear of Chris's struggles, but this sounds like this is by far the best thing for them. They're handling it all really, really well so although I'm sad, I'm not scared for them. I hope Alexa is able to find a suitable partner, but that's a tall order. I mean, if she wants to skate for Australia, Harley Windsor is looking! Only half joking on that one...

Shani

On the Ice
I'm sorry to hear this. But at least he is ending his skating career on a high note with another Nationals win. I wish them all the best. And at least Callalang and Johnson will have been aware and training hard.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my babies. After I heard this I cried. Then I ate half a pizza and got sick. Now I’m full out ugly crying like someone has died.

I watch a lot of sports. I’m sad when people retire. But not even when my future husband Jalen Hurts graduated did I sit and cry.

I don’t think she’ll find another partner. But even if she does, only half the magic of the Knierims was their skating. The other half was their love. I’ve never had mixed feelings. I’ve always been 100% all in.

Maybe I need to step away from (watching) skating. This is not healthy for me and I should be considering his health instead of my own selfish pleasure.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really wanted to meet Chris. I really felt for him over the last while. I guess I will never get that chance. I know Alexa has a deep spiritual belief in God; I wonder about Chris. Such a hard decision too undoubtedly so close to the worlds. This won't be easy for Alexa = less than two years to get back onto the olympic team. Skaters like Tran, O Shea, Massot even Bilodeau all have partners or in the case of Massot aren't really contenders. It really needs to be an American man at this point. And now that her husband isn't part of that journey or at least as partner that will also create maybe some challenges.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My pick for Alexa would be Brandon Frasier, but my understanding is that Denney's family is primarily paying all the bills.

It would tough to walk away from that into a situation where money is going to be a major concern.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m going to start watching something less emotionally taxing. Like reality TV.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We should get Bruno Massot to pair with her. Can we have him in time for 2022? :)

Nope. US citizenship takes 5 years. But I guess you were kidding. The funny thing is, Bruno would be a great partner for Alexa for the same reasons he was and is a great partner for Aljona, who chose him at least in part because of his height and his ability to lift her higher and throw her farther. For me, Bruno's great talent is that he puts as much work and effort into making their connection visible to audiences as he does their great techniques. Somehow I don't think that's high on Alexa's list of priorities. Just my impression.

But if Bruno skates in 2022, it's with Aljona. Otherwise, I would be concerned she'd, um, cause him great bodily harm. Just kidding, but such is the force of Aljona's personality.

Netty5Jung8

Spectator
How about Sean Rabbitt as a new partner for Alexa? They're both expressive skaters, both are good singles skaters, and both are in CA.

rain

Record Breaker
:( But I think I had seen this coming ever since 4CC, I get 100% what she means says "Chris was physically there but he wasn't present. It was like I was skating with a ghost." Best of luck to the both of them, and may she find a good partner she can continue her career with.

I've seen this coming for the last couple of years. It's been increasingly obvious he was holding on for her sake.

Hope she can find a new partner and keep going as she wants to. Clearly this was the right decision for him.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
How about Sean Rabbitt as a new partner for Alexa? They're both expressive skaters, both are good singles skaters, and both are in CA.

I thought of him, too, but I don't know if he has any interest in doing pairs. Also, he looks kind of thin, but not much thinner than Chris, really, so I dunno.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought of him, too, but I don't know if he has any interest in doing pairs. Also, he looks kind of thin, but not much thinner than Chris, really, so I dunno.

I really don't think she will skate with another partner with any seriousness. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again. Also, I love Sean Rabbit, but no.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wanted to meet Chris. I really felt for him over the last while. I guess I will never get that chance. I know Alexa has a deep spiritual belief in God; I wonder about Chris. Such a hard decision too undoubtedly so close to the worlds. This won't be easy for Alexa = less than two years to get back onto the olympic team. Skaters like Tran, O Shea, Massot even Bilodeau all have partners or in the case of Massot aren't really contenders. It really needs to be an American man at this point. And now that her husband isn't part of that journey or at least as partner that will also create maybe some challenges.

He's a lovely person and I'm sure he would appreciate a DM on twitter or similar. And yes, they are both Christians. https://www.christianpost.com/news/...m-christian-faith-return-serious-illness.html

slider11

Medalist
Alexa will need a strong, confident male partner, not an upcoming junior. I think she is aiming for 2 more years not 6. She is tiny so that gives a little wiggle room with height. I hope they stay with Jenni and Todd as coaches. I thought about Mervin Tran but he doesn't have his US citizenship as far as I know so that would side rail an Olympic bid. On a side note, I was sad that Alexa and Chris didn't pull out before 4C's and give Haven and Brandon a shot. But I guess this was an evolving decision that had to come at its own time. Good luck to all!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's one thing for a woman to pick up pairs skills in a year or two. Someone said, correctly IMO, that the main thing is to have the pairs girl courage and desire to fly.

But for a male singles skater to learn to keep the woman safe is a whole other proposition and I would think needs to be taken one step at a time before advancing to the next step. It's a lot of responsibility and I would think it shouldn't be rushed.

I just had a wild thought... I wonder if Simon Shnapir is recovered enough from his injuries around 2014-15 to be coaxed out of retirement. When he and Marissa split, he made it clear he wanted to go to another Olympics. That was before he had some severe back issues, though. Never mind. I just looked him up; he's 32. At 6'4", it'd be a severe strain on his back to do some of the lifts and twists.