Russian skaters with uncommon patronymics | Golden Skate

Russian skaters with uncommon patronymics

CodyRhodesDiva

Spectator
Can you think of any Russian figure skaters (past or present) who have rare patronymics such as Artemovich/Artemovna, Danilovich/Danilovna, Glebovich/Glebovna, Issakovich/Issakovna, Kuzmich/Kuzmichna, Markovich/Markovna, Ospiovich/Osipovna, Rodionovich/Rodionovna, Savvich/Savvichna and Tarasovich/Tarasovicna?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Can you think of any Russian figure skaters (past or present) who have rare patronymics such as Artemovich/Artemovna, Danilovich/Danilovna, Glebovich/Glebovna, Issakovich/Issakovna, Kuzmich/Kuzmichna, Markovich/Markovna, Ospiovich/Osipovna, Rodionovich/Rodionovna, Savvich/Savvichna and Tarasovich/Tarasovicna?

I am not from a Slavic background, so that may be the reason I feel confused reading your post. But, to me anyway, most of the examples you have given look like they are derived from surnames. And from what I understand, a partronym is derived from your Dad's first name, not his surname. (For the simple reason that your own surname is normally the same as your Dad's surname!)

That said, in the west, it is not unknown for parents to use a surname as their child's first name. Hey, both my grandfathers had first names that are more commonly used as surnames (my maternal grandfather was given his mother's maiden name as his first name; I don't know where my paternal grandfather's first name came out of!)

I haven't heard of this practice happening in Russia before, so I would be curious to know if it is something that has now started there too. And if it has, then there is every possibility that strange patronyms could arise in the next generation.

CaroLiza_fan

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Immediately comes to mind is that the name and patronymic of Gleichenhaus is Daniel Markovich

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay, I definitely have way too much time on my hands (I was supposed to go back to college, but (sigh) everything's postponed here now), but I used the Wayback Machine to check the archived fskate.ru 'list of skaters' page. A whole lot of Sergeevich/Sergeevna's, Andreevich/Andreevna's, and Alexandrovich/Alexandrovna's later, I found some names with patronymics that might be of interest. Here you go:

Felix Erikovich Aliev
Daniil Artemovich Butashnov
Elina Karlovna Vagner (I have to suppose German father here though)
Gurgen Norikovich Vardanian (Armenian-German, looks like)
Oleg Kimovich Vasiliev (Korean heritage?)
Matvei Rubenovich Vetlugin
Lev Felixovich Vinokur
Dmitri Artemovich Golovchenko
Grigory Moiseevich Grinberg
Taisia Artemovna Korobitsina
Eduard Fanisovich Kushtanov
Mikhail Khrisantevich Makoveev
Roman Veniaminovich Metsankin
Diana Karlosovna Oganesian
Lidia Karpovna Pidorina
Georgiy Ermolaevich Proskurin
Arseniy Samvelovich Repkin
Marina Valterovna Sanaya
Lyudmila Afanasevna Svirepa
Oleg Isaakovich Sudakov
Sergei Karenovich Tarlokian
Konstantin Daniilovich Frolov
Inna Alfredovna Utkina
Leonid Stiuartovich Khachaturov
Ksenia Genrikhova Tsezar
Sergei Gavrilovich Shirokov
Oleg Efimovich Epshtein

CodyRhodesDiva

Spectator
I am not from a Slavic background, so that may be the reason I feel confused reading your post. But, to me anyway, most of the examples you have given look like they are derived from surnames. And from what I understand, a partronym is derived from your Dad's first name, not his surname. (For the simple reason that your own surname is normally the same as your Dad's surname!)

That said, in the west, it is not unknown for parents to use a surname as their child's first name. Hey, both my grandfathers had first names that are more commonly used as surnames (my maternal grandfather was given his mother's maiden name as his first name; I don't know where my paternal grandfather's first name came out of!)

I haven't heard of this practice happening in Russia before, so I would be curious to know if it is something that has now started there too. And if it has, then there is every possibility that strange patronyms could arise in the next generation.

CaroLiza_fan

That is correct. There are a lot of men born in the 1950s to 1970s named either Aleksandr, Aleksei, Andrei, Anatoly, Dmitri, Gennady, Grigory, Ivan, Ilya, Igor, Mikhail, Nikolai, Oleg, Sergei, Vladimir, Vikror and Yuri fallowed by the likes of Arkady, Albert, Artur, Boris, Denis, Danil, Eduard, Fedor, Filipp, Gleb, Leonid, Lev, Maksim, Nikita, Pavel, Petr, Roman, Ruslan, Stepan, Stanislav, Semen, Vitaly, Valery, Vasily, Vadim, Valentin, Vsevolod, Vyacheslav, Vladislav, Yevgeny, Yakov and Yaroslav.

CodyRhodesDiva

Spectator
Okay, I definitely have way too much time on my hands (I was supposed to go back to college, but (sigh) everything's postponed here now), but I used the Wayback Machine to check the archived fskate.ru 'list of skaters' page. A whole lot of Sergeevich/Sergeevna's, Andreevich/Andreevna's, and Alexandrovich/Alexandrovna's later, I found some names with patronymics that might be of interest. Here you go:

Felix Erikovich Aliev
Daniil Artemovich Butashnov
Elina Karlovna Vagner (I have to suppose German father here though)
Gurgen Norikovich Vardanian (Armenian-German, looks like)
Oleg Kimovich Vasiliev (Korean heritage?)
Matvei Rubenovich Vetlugin
Lev Felixovich Vinokur
Dmitri Artemovich Golovchenko
Grigory Moiseevich Grinberg
Taisia Artemovna Korobitsina
Eduard Fanisovich Kushtanov
Mikhail Khrisantevich Makoveev
Roman Veniaminovich Metsankin
Diana Karlosovna Oganesian
Lidia Karpovna Pidorina
Georgiy Ermolaevich Proskurin
Arseniy Samvelovich Repkin
Marina Valterovna Sanaya
Lyudmila Afanasevna Svirepa
Oleg Isaakovich Sudakov
Sergei Karenovich Tarlokian
Konstantin Daniilovich Frolov
Inna Alfredovna Utkina
Leonid Stiuartovich Khachaturov
Ksenia Genrikhova Tsezar
Sergei Gavrilovich Shirokov
Oleg Efimovich Epshtein

I also noticed a lot of Vladimirovich/Vladimirovna, Mikhailovich/Mikhailovna, Ivanovich/Ivanovna and believe it or not, quite a few Borisovich/Borisovna.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia

Ilya Izyaslavich Averbukh

Anton Tarielyevich Sikharulidze

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I am not from a Slavic background, so that may be the reason I feel confused reading your post. But, to me anyway, most of the examples you have given look like they are derived from surnames.

:)? What about starting from the beginning?
Every surname has a meaning.
Ivan=John
Ivanov=John's
So Radionova=Radion's, Markova=Mark's, Tarasova=Taras' and Marinin=Marina's. Marina is a name for a woman, but some surnames come from feminine names.
"Medvedeva" means "Bear's", "Sinitsina" means "Titmouse's".
Usually it means these were names too: somebody had a nickname (or a name) "The Bear" - and after that the family has such a surname. (though it isn't so for pseudonyms or for a surname given to an orphan, for example)

So the patronymic "Tarasovich" (for example) comes from the name "Taras", not from any surname. Yet in old texts "Tarasov" means "a son of Taras" (it is not a surname yet, it is not given from generation to generation, it is used like a patronymic).
I'd say we use the same way to form a patronymic: "OV+ich"/"EV+ich"/"OV+na"/"EV+na" - but they don't come from surnames. :)
Many other surnames never turn to patronymics.
We can suppose, that a contemporary boy will be called Medved ("a bear") - only in this case we're going to have a patronymic "Medvedievich", when he will have his own kids (if he won't change his name).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:)? What about starting from the beginning?
Every surname has a meaning.
Ivan=John
Ivanov=John's
So Radionova=Radion's, Markova=Mark's, Tarasova=Taras' and Marinin=Marina's. Marina is a name for a woman, but some surnames come from feminine names.
"Medvedeva" means "Bear's", "Sinitsina" means "Titmouse's".
Usually it means these were names too: somebody had a nickname (or a name) "The Bear" - and after that the family has such a surname. (though it isn't so for pseudonyms or for a surname given to an orphan, for example)

So the patronymic "Tarasovich" (for example) comes from the name "Taras", not from any surname. Yet in old texts "Tarasov" means "a son of Taras" (it is not a surname yet, it is not given from generation to generation, it is used like a patronymic).
I'd say we use the same way to form a patronymic: "OV+ich"/"EV+ich"/"OV+na"/"EV+na" - but they don't come from surnames. :)
Many other surnames never turn to patronymics.
We can suppose, that a contemporary boy will be called Medved ("a bear") - only in this case we're going to have a patronymic "Medvedievich", when he will have his own kids (if he won't change his name).

Thank you! :thank:

I admit that I did know that a lot of surnames had meanings. But I didn't realise that this was the case across the board.

Practically all the surname meanings I did know were derived from animals, e.g. Ekaterina Bobrova's surname means "beaver", whole Dmitry Soloviev's means "nightingale". (The exception being Tamara Moskvina's surname, which refers to Moscow). But when I was writing that comment, I didn't even think about the possibility of surnames being derived from first names. So, I apologise.

This is what I love about this forum. We learn all sorts of things!

CaroLiza_fan

Ducky

On the Ice

In the States, this is very common in the South.