Rules for jumping with arms raised? | Golden Skate

Rules for jumping with arms raised?

RinaOnRice

Spectator
Hi I'm an adult skater who's doing her first competition at the adult bronze level. Lately I discovered it's actually easier for me to jump with my arms up over my head! (It lifts me higher and keeps me straighter in the air) But my coach said she'll have to check if that's allowed, something about how there's no goe's at my level and having arms up raises the difficulty? I tried some googling but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this?
Ps I'm with Skate Canada, not US, if that makes any difference
Thanks in advance!

Elija

On the Ice
Hi I'm an adult skater who's doing her first competition at the adult bronze level. Lately I discovered it's actually easier for me to jump with my arms up over my head! (It lifts me higher and keeps me straighter in the air) But my coach said she'll have to check if that's allowed, something about how there's no goe's at my level and having arms up raises the difficulty? I tried some googling but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance!

I have seen adult skaters jump with arms over the head at bronze level competitions where I live, but I’m not in Canada or the US. I don’t see why not though. As far as I’m aware you can raise the difficulty in any way you can, as long as the element is allowed (ie. not adding in a flying spin since it’s not allowed at bronze level, but doing a spin in one difficult position).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks in advance!

Contact your skating fed and ask.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Here is the Skate Canada page for adult competitions. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to jump with your arms over your head as there is nothing mentioned about not permitting features. In fact, nothing in the Skate Canada STAR program (I assume that's what you're working though) mentions anything about jump features. Some of the lower STAR levels specifically forbid spin features and variations, but there is nothing either for or against jump features.

If you're really worried, you or your coach can reach out to Skate Canada, but they are very slow to respond if you can even find the info of who to contact. Responding to questions is not their strong suit.

Basically, I think you're fine if you raise your hands over your head as long as you are only doing singles.