Fitness tracking devices for ice skating | Golden Skate

Fitness tracking devices for ice skating

Schpanky

Rinkside
Does anyone use a fitness tracking device for ice skating? Or can anyone direct me to an old thread? I think most of the fitness trackers count steps, but what about glides and gliding?

Silver Ice

On the Ice
It won’t count steps, by my Fitbit does keep track of activity in that it keeps track of how many minutes I was active. I think it’s how many minutes your activity is more strenuous than regular walking.

It will count a step when you step onto your other foot while gliding. But won’t measure gliding. Though I have had several times where I’ve been working on jumps and when I’ve checked my Fitbit it shows me as walking up stairs lol.

I read something awhile back that they were going to (or did) create a tracker for jumps so people could avoid over jumping and avoid injury but I don’t know if it’s supposed to do additional things.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I have a Huawei Honor Band 5. It tracks steps and I can set it to a "free training" mode for when I skate. I invariably forget to set it... Honestly, life's too short. :laugh:

Nimyue

On the Ice
I use the fitbit versa, and yeah the steps won't be correct. I also get logged stairs also. When it auto senses activity it does recognize it as 'sport'. It's mostly useful for the heart rate monitoring. It also helps me with my accountability of making sure I exercise 5 days/wk :D

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
i use an apple watch with the activity app and log it as a workout. Since I record the workout, it counts for calories, heart rate, and time exercizing, and not steps

Yes, the Apple Watch has a skating workout option, but before you get too excited, the figure is of a skateboarder[emoji2934]! Like all the non-main workouts in the Apple Watch, the calories burned calcs use the same calories to heart rate energy output as a brisk walk, so you can probably use it as a fair-ish measure. I have been using it for a year and it feels roughly right vs other workouts (running, spinning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk