Raising minimum age for seniors from 15 to 17? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Raising minimum age for seniors from 15 to 17?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
16, not 17.

The initial remark that triggered this thread was by Barton commenting during the JWC, and he said the change discussed/proposed etc to 17, not 16. He didn’t say it in the official capacity or quoted specific document, so fwiw

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The initial remark that triggered this thread was by Barton commenting during the JWC, and he said the change discussed/proposed etc to 17, not 16. He didn’t say it in the official capacity or quoted specific document, so fwiw

I know. I said 16.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Assuming Worlds is cancelled, full stop, next year's Worlds would be a good test case, because all of the top skaters would be 16 or older. Will they all have their jumps? Will growth spurts take some out of the running? Will "artistry" be noticeably better?

brakes

On the Ice
Assuming Worlds is cancelled, full stop, next year's Worlds would be a good test case, because all of the top skaters would be 16 or older. Will they all have their jumps? Will growth spurts take some out of the running? Will "artistry" be noticeably better?
That's what we should do. Wait.

We've no idea, if 3A are beginning of regular influx of ultra-jumping kids or just an anomaly.
Next wave (b. 2005-06) is not as physically/technically explosive for instance.

I found this article about Olympic football interesting. FISA just ruled that players cannot be over 24, except for 3 exceptions per team.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/03/fifa-olympic-soccer-age-rule/

Maybe we are going the wrong way with figure skating. Instead of raising the minimum age from 15 to 17, we should impose a maximum age. Once you hit 20, you are ineligible. (Exception: 22 for male pairs skaters and 24 for male ice dancers.) :yes:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found this article about Olympic football interesting. FISA just ruled that players cannot be over 24, except for 3 exceptions per team.

Maybe we are going the wrong way with figure skating. Instead of raising the minimum age from 15 to 17, we should impose a maximum age. Once you hit 20, you are ineligible. (Exception: 22 for male pairs skaters and 24 for male ice dancers.) :yes:

Interesting. So because I am killing time in front of the computer, I wanted to see why this should be so. Evidently soccer does not want the best of the best at the Olys. The "U23" rules are designed to keep pro players playing pro, and not bother with those paltry little Oly games;).

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/what-are-the-rules-for-olympics-men-s-soccer-080416

In any event, jumping off, recent events I think have shown how short sighted it is to concentrate any athletic career on a bright shining season or two. Nothing is a guarantee :shrug:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Soccer players have other things to do, as in play in professional leagues. So I vote no.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Still am yet to see an argument for this that isn't a not-even-thinly-veiled "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the russian girls keep winning!".

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still am yet to see an argument for this that isn't a not-even-thinly-veiled "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the russian girls keep winning!".

Nobody reads my posts, :giveup:

But I give up. I really don't give a rat's patootie if the Russian girls win everything, nothing, or whatever. I do care about health. Am I right or wrong in my estimation of what would be healthier? Who knows:biggrin:

But I'm not whining about the ladies' results because I hardly watch them and I don't care;).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

But I give up. I really don't give a rat's patootie if the Russian girls win everything, nothing, or whatever. I do care about health. Am I right or wrong in my estimation of what would be healthier? Who knows:biggrin:

But I'm not whining about the ladies' results because I hardly watch them and I don't care;).

You keep saying "for their health" but I am yet to see any studies on how exactly this would be better.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think it's crazy that the ISU did safety studies on the quad twist and none on quad jumps (for men or women).

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You keep saying "for their health" but I am yet to see any studies on how exactly this would be better.

But that's different, and a fair question. I had posted earlier some studies of the female triad in puberty, but nothing specific to skating, because I don't know of anything specific to skating. And I'm too lazy to go back and find them. So I am generalizing. .

It's just that my motivation doesn't have anything to do with the Russian ladies' success, or lack thereof. I do enjoy some ladies' skaters, and it's usually because they have a relation to men's skaters that I'm following. One of those ladies is even Russian;) But I am not as invested as I am in the men. Of course, it would be hard for me to be as invested as I am in the men, I only have so much love to give around. :)

rain

Record Breaker
I think it's crazy that the ISU did safety studies on the quad twist and none on quad jumps (for men or women).

Let's be honest, the reason is utterly simple. They don't want to know.

Why do you think it took so many years to get accurate information about the damage concussions can do? It's the same thinking.

icetug

Medalist

Olympic Games were designated for amateurs - those who didn't earn money on sport on a regular basis. I'm old enough to remember that this regulation put tennis out of Olympics till 1988. Today still in wrestling and boxing Olympics are avaliable only for amateurs while in other disciplines there are specific regulations. As to football, the average age of completing education makes the limit.

As long as I know no figure skater gets their wages as a professional team member. That's why the comparison doesn't make sense.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympic Games were designated for amateurs - those who didn't earn money on sport on a regular basis. I'm old enough to remember that this regulation put tennis out of Olympics till 1988. Today still in wrestling and boxing Olympics are avaliable only for amateurs while in other disciplines there are specific regulations. As to football, the average age of completing education makes the limit.

As long as I know no figure skater gets their wages as a professional team member. That's why the comparison doesn't make sense.

Not sure if this is accurate, but this link states professional boxers were able to compete as of 2016. As for wrestling, I find that pretty bizarre. I know there is professional wrestling, but it doesn't bear much resemblance to the wrestling at the Olympics.

https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/can-professional-athletes-compete-in-the-olympics.html

I think that is a cynical way to look at it. There is no reason to impugn the motives of concerned fans.

As for "waaaaaaaaaaaa," is it really the anti-Russian brigade that continually moans "everybody's picking on us"?

Olympic Games were designated for amateurs ...

Still... that was then, this is now. The exalted virtues of amateurism were class-based. The nobility and the upper crust could not be expected to lower themselves to enter athletic competition where they would have to rub shoulders with commoners. Commoners, after all, --ugh, yuk -- have to work for a living. Decent folk don't earn money, they have money.

Strangely, now it is the sports stars with their hundred million dollar contracts that are society's elite. (Along with the once-despised Troubadours and actors).

rain

Record Breaker
I think that is a cynical way to look at it. There is no reason to impugn the motives of concerned fans.

As for "waaaaaaaaaaaa," is it really the anti-Russian brigade that continually moans "everybody's picking on us"?

It's a good old straw man argument to derail and divert real discussion, and an easy way to dismiss opposing opinions.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Elite sports are BAD for longterm (and also short term too) health. If they raise the age limit then they should also consider capping the highest age limit, because it's the continual overuse that destroys bodies. Like put a cap at 21 or 22 before the skaters start really injuring themselves? That would show that ISU cares about the health of their skaters, right?