Raising minimum age for seniors from 15 to 17? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Raising minimum age for seniors from 15 to 17?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think to anybody that's capable of even a half objective observation it's clear that the skaters from the 2000s generation like Kostner, Asada, Kim when they were that age that these current phenomena are at right now, let's say anywhere 12-16, were not even close to what these kids show today. Neither in program complexity, nor in transitions and most definitely not in technical content.
And subjectively adding: neither in skating skills if you compare 15yo Mao to 15yo Kostornaya for example. But that comes down to specific skaters.

But that's okay :confused2:
Sports advance, that's their nature. And of course Mao or Kim at 19 or 20 had better SS and programs that 13yo novices. That's why the point is- at that age.

The point i was making though is that they developed many skills over time, so yes maybe at 15-16 they weren't the complete package (worth noting rules were very different too) but they had the time to work on both the elements and the artistry and the maturity, and they had the opportunity worked with best choreographers around the world.

While with skaters retiring at the age of 18, you'll never see that development, i'm glad at the very least commentators have stopped saying "oh this is not quite as good but she'll learn that over time, she's still young" because they even know most of these skaters won't be around for that long to learn things properly.

icestorm

Rinkside
While with skaters retiring at the age of 18, you'll never see that development, i'm glad at the very least commentators have stopped saying "oh this is not quite as good but she'll learn that over time, she's still young" because they even know most of these skaters won't be around for that long to learn things properly.
The main reason for good skaters to retire at the early age is the situation when by the current ISU rules number 6, 9 and 10 in the World Best list (Med, Tuk, Zag) are not allowed to go to WC, while numbers 125, 132 and 133 (McKay, Mikutina, Perticheto) are.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The main reason for good skaters to retire at the early age is the situation when by the current ISU rules number 6, 9 and 10 in the World Best list (Med, Tuk, Zag) are not allowed to go to WC, while numbers 125, 132 and 133 (McKay, Mikutina, Perticheto) are.

Sad but true, It would be like keeping Federer and Nadal out of major tennis tournaments for numbers 122 and 135. The ISU rules are one reason the sport is is not on the level of soccer or tennis or golf. Can you imagine golf keeping Tiger out of a tournament because his ranking slipped a little? ISU needs to come out of the dark ages. I wish we could overhall the ISU. They are the ones holding figure skating back. They dont even have to do anything radical. Top 15 in WS get into worlds and olympics and euros etc then the next 20 get in by the system they have. It would makes thing better and much more interesting for the fans.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wish there were some actual content posted about the question instead of wallowing in imagined national victimhood and martyrdom.

Fat chance, I'm afraid, the exact same complaining went on when the Japanese men had more potential medallists than slots, and a lot of good it didn't do then either.

icestorm

Rinkside
At least by rising the age slightly, there is a chance for other countries to be on top. Right now there is full dominance By Russian. It is more like Russian championships with others.
I wish there were some actual content posted about the question instead of wallowing in imagined national victimhood and martyrdom.
Mathman, did you mean "imagined national victimhood and martyrdom" of non-Russians?

Mathman, did you mean "imagined national victimhood and martyrdom" of non-Russians?

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't single out any one particular group of skating fans.

My real complaint is about the rise of unpleasantness and belligerence in friendly discussion groups like Golden Skate. Maybe it was always this way, but it seems to be getting harder and harder for fans to keep their ardor in check.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't single out any one particular group of skating fans.

My real complaint is about the rise of unpleasantness and belligerence in friendly discussion groups like Golden Skate. Maybe it was always this way, but it seems to be getting harder and harder for fans to keep their ardor in check.

Not sure it was always like this. But certainly social media has made it worse. It brings out the worst in people. Compound that with the issues of language across a multinational sport, the fanbase being so young (surely you remember high school and your undergrad!), the judging being bad, and the information but not the understanding and knowledge needed to use it being widely available for this sport (favourite skaters skate for 5 minutes tops! Not really the 90 minutes long soccer game. You can watch that skate repeatedly to dissect it and complain about it), then this is what we get, if we add the magic ingredient of nationalism.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
With the 8 year old doing 3Lz+3T, 10 year old doing 3A, 11 year old doing 4T, and 14 year old doing 4Lz it seems like this won't be ending anytime soon. We will have to see what effect long term all these quads have on Sasha and Anna, they are really the first test crop. But seeing what happened to Alina without a quad is just not settling to me.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
With the 8 year old doing 3Lz+3T, 10 year old doing 3A, 11 year old doing 4T, and 14 year old doing 4Lz it seems like this won't be ending anytime soon. We will have to see what effect long term all these quads have on Sasha and Anna, they are really the first test crop. But seeing what happened to Alina without a quad is just not settling to me.

Somehow it is still missing the problem. If hard elements like quads or 3A are dangerous beyond acceptable risk (there is always a risk in top sport), than the dangerous elements should be banned, not the age eligibility raised, because the jumps would be dangerous the same way in juniors.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Somehow it is still missing the problem. If hard elements like quads or 3A are dangerous beyond acceptable risk (there is always a risk in top sport), than the dangerous elements should be banned, not the age eligibility raised, because the jumps would be dangerous the same way in juniors.

Exacticly!

Scott512

Record Breaker
The point i was making though is that they developed many skills over time, so yes maybe at 15-16 they weren't the complete package (worth noting rules were very different too) but they had the time to work on both the elements and the artistry and the maturity, and they had the opportunity worked with best choreographers around the world.

They aren't retiring because they want to they get pushed out of the way by younger better girls coming up. this does not happen in America or Japan and only happens in Russia because the talent pool is so deep. Skaters can hang on for many years in other countries but not in Russia with the ladies.

Scott512

Record Breaker

2014 was a very rough year here. There was a lot of animosity. Believe it or not things are more pleasant now.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure it was always like this. But certainly social media has made it worse. It brings out the worst in people. Compound that with the issues of language across a multinational sport, the fanbase being so young (surely you remember high school and your undergrad!), the judging being bad, and the information but not the understanding and knowledge needed to use it being widely available for this sport (favourite skaters skate for 5 minutes tops! Not really the 90 minutes long soccer game. You can watch that skate repeatedly to dissect it and complain about it), then this is what we get, if we add the magic ingredient of nationalism.

And of course, this year is especially fraught because of uncertainty and lack of anything concrete to actually talk about - no Worlds, no practice videos, not shows, no idea what is going to happen next.... and everyone is nervy anyway.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice

I am originally from Slovenia and if that was the case we would never be able to see Dasa Grm nor Olga Mikutina it would be a showdown between Russia, USA, and Japan countries that have a very high training capacity. What may actually help Liza, Zhenya and Alina would be a fairer component situation where Sasha doesn't beet Liza. Or to actually call flutzes and criticize bad technique and actually apply the GOE system and not skew it up just because you are Team Tutberidze or have 3 quads. Those are good solutions not cutting out the figure skating dream of people from other countries who don't have resources like Russia, the USA, and Japan.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I am originally from Slovenia and if that was the case we would never be able to see Dasa Grm nor Olga Mikutina it would be a showdown between Russia, USA, and Japan countries that have a very high training capacity. What may actually help Liza, Zhenya and Alina would be a fairer component situation where Sasha doesn't beet Liza. Or to actually call flutzes and criticize bad technique and actually apply the GOE system and not skew it up just because you are Team Tutberidze or have 3 quads. Those are good solutions not cutting out the figure skating dream of people from other countries who don't have resources like Russia, the USA, and Japan.

This is why I’ve been advocating for another event, based on SB. It wouldn’t replace worlds, but would give skaters from strong countries a chance to compete in a championship event in the 2nd half of the season. It could be held after worlds in April and the top 24 skaters in the SB list would qualify. Juniors would be skipped over so the next highest SB would take their spot. It would be nice if there was some decent prize money too...

For example, based on the scores from this season we could’ve seen Liza, Zhenya, Alina, Kaori, Eunsoo etc again which would’ve been awesome.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
This is why I’ve been advocating for another event, based on SB. It wouldn’t replace worlds, but would give skaters from strong countries a chance to compete in a championship event in the 2nd half of the season. It could be held after worlds in April and the top 24 skaters in the SB list would qualify.

The most top-level skaters are exhausted after Worlds. Such a skater would have competeted in three high-level competitions within a three month span. It’s more likely that the skaters that did not qualify for GPF, 4CC/Euros, or Worlds would participate and the skaters that did would withdraw. If that’s the case, wouldn’t this be counterproductive?

Such a competition should probably be in WTT format. WTT takes place in April and the skaters take it seriously enough for the money and because it counts for SBs, but not so seriously that they’re succumbing to pressure. And why skip juniors? I thought this was about strong countries? Nowadays skipping the juniors probably means going all the way down to the 50s. For both men and ladies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Though playing angel's advocate here, if the Russian Federation and fans believe that their wealth of ladies do not have enough chances to shine, there is nothing to stop them creating and running their own special competition...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. it needs to be raised a lot. I'm thinking at least 40 so Midori Ito can come back and claim her rightful gold medal and I can win the silver.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Though playing angel's advocate here, if the Russian Federation and fans believe that their wealth of ladies do not have enough chances to shine, there is nothing to stop them creating and running their own special competition...

Something called.. I don't know.. Russian Nationals? :laugh: