2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

nguyhm

On the Ice
And my DVR, which is set to record everything tagged 'figure skating' in my satellite provider's system, has now recorded two blocks labeled as 'World Championships'. I don't have the heart to see if the Olympic Channel is subbing Grand Prix reruns into that slot or if it's like biathlon and curling reruns instead.

My DVR did the same and it's the US Nationals Championship. I only watched it briefly then deleted it (heartbroken but understand that cancelling World is for the best)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you get a # or something for your credit? I got an email that confirmed my cancellation and said I would get an email when my credit was processed however I never got another email about my credit being processed.

I never received an email. The agent said when I need to make a reservation, to call the customer service line and give them my confirmation number for the original reservation - the credit is under that number. I hope that is true!

nancela

Rinkside
I had a Delta ticket and chose the cancel and get e-credit option since I din't know when and where I wanted to re-book/fly, but it resulted in a window coming up showing an e-credit with $0 value, so I called customer service. After 90 minutes on hold, I finally spoke to someone who said my e-credit would be the total cost of my original due to the coronavirus and not to worry. Just provide the e-ticket number when I rebook. I asked the rep if she could document that in an email, but she said no. Needless to say, I don't feel confident I'll actually get an e-credit worth anything. Also, I have to fly by 11/13/20, which is one year from the date I originally booked the ticket.

concorde

Medalist
Finally got through to expedia to "cancel" my flight. That was 26 hours before my flight was to leave. I am now thinking about going to Skate Canada since my credit requires me to go to Canada.

Just saw that the WHO food guy got the virus from a trip to Canada.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am really sad we won't have worlds and feel for all those planning to go to worlds and the issues with refunds, cancellation etc. But in light ofthe Pademic there are biggerr issues. I heard Young YOU was devastated and in tears. She is young and she will have her day plus she has had other opportunities. I realize because of her youthfulness it may be hard o suppress the frustration of the cancellation but we have to think about our world right now and the lives fighitng andlost already I don't mean to belittle You's pain but hopefully she will have another day. Same for the other skaters including 3As whohonestly are more vulnerable with puberty - this may have been their big or one chance

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I also fear that there don't even be a 2020/2021 season. How? If the rink stay closed for months, which is probably what we will be looking at how will the be ready for the new season, besides no one even knows if the entire damm thing isn't going to continue until end of year.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also fear that there don't even be a 2020/2021 season. How? If the rink stay closed for months, which is probably what we will be looking at how will the be ready for the new season, besides no one even knows if the entire damm thing isn't going to continue until end of year.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

It's crazy. I had a conflict between the gymnastics Olympic trials, the Mensa AG, and Philly International. How would I ever choose, I thought. Well, now probably none of them will take place. So I guess I need to be more careful what to complain about.

Forget the World Championships, can you imagine training 4 years (or much more) to make it to the Olympics and then they don't have them?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Forget the World Championships, can you imagine training 4 years (or much more) to make it to the Olympics and then they don't have them?

I know, I am imagining how our skaters would be had this hit in 2018 or 2022, and how we would feel as well... utterly utterly devastated. Especially in sports like our with shortening 'shelf lives' for the poor young people...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, I am imagining how our skaters would be had this hit in 2018 or 2022, and how we would feel as well... utterly utterly devastated. Especially in sports like our with shortening 'shelf lives' for the poor young people...

I am doubtful they will reschedule this years Worlds, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t reschedule the Olympics - they have to build all those venues. They are saying they are still going to have it, but I don’t believe them. Most athletes can’t even train.

I’m not one of the people who are distressed their favorite skater may not have new programs next year. I hope we have skating next year.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
I am doubtful they will reschedule this years Worlds, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t reschedule the Olympics - they have to build all those venues. They are saying they are still going to have it, but I don’t believe them. Most athletes can’t even train.

I’m not one of the people who are distressed their favorite skater may not have new programs next year. I hope we have skating next year.

That's what I'm starting to think about too... I know someone in Australia who said public gatherings where they live are banned for 6+ months, and Four Continents 2021 is planned for Sydney. Just making me think how much everything might be held up for longer than I was previously assuming.

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands

I've been bummed about the World Championships for weeks now, about Chris Reed's death, and now about Moonvine's comment about the possibility of no skating next year. But I'm starting to get really worried about whether we'll all be alive next year. Especially old people like me and lots of others on here.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's crazy. I had a conflict between the gymnastics Olympic trials, the Mensa AG, and Philly International. How would I ever choose, I thought. Well, now probably none of them will take place. So I guess I need to be more careful what to complain about.

It happened in 1980, for the Americans. I think the Olympics will happen, though it may be delayed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It happened in 1980, for the Americans. I think the Olympics will happen, though it may be delayed.

Yes, it did. I never thought it was fair and still don’t. Surely the Olympic committee will look at the fact most athletes cannot practice. I guess if you are a long distance runner you may be able to possibly..but swimming, diving, gymnastics, fencing..so many can’t train at all. At least not in US, Italy, France, Canada, probably some other countries I am forgetting and I believe the Russians were going to be limited to start with?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It wasn't only the Americans who boycotted in 1980. Lots of countries did, so many other athletes also lost their dream.

It also happened in 1984 for many Soviet and old Eastern bloc countries when the Olympics were held in Los Angeles.

Such a waste. If I were forced to guess, I'd say the Olympics are postponed until 2021, and that Japan will still host.

Even a one year postponement could effect many athletes, who have spent years to peak at this exact moment.

Amei

Record Breaker
I am really sad we won't have worlds and feel for all those planning to go to worlds and the issues with refunds, cancellation etc. But in light ofthe Pademic there are biggerr issues. I heard Young YOU was devastated and in tears. She is young and she will have her day plus she has had other opportunities. I realize because of her youthfulness it may be hard o suppress the frustration of the cancellation but we have to think about our world right now and the lives fighitng andlost already I don't mean to belittle You's pain but hopefully she will have another day. Same for the other skaters including 3As whohonestly are more vulnerable with puberty - this may have been their big or one chance

This isn't a pastime for most of these skaters but their job, and if they are able to achieve success on large stages like Worlds that opens more doors up for them to be able to do shows, get sponsorship work, etc. And while yes Young theoretically is young and might have other opportunities in the future, that's not guaranteed, there have been a lot of athletes that have a good promising year and never live up to that promising year again?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
While the athletes in the growth range will not be able to train as consistently as they normally do, so they might experience higher growth rates, the younger ones will also miss the window when they set in the high level skills. And the older athletes will have their own challenges. It is hard to predict how they will emerge on the other end, and who decides to stay with the sport.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Everyone has had their say on the topic "2020 Worlds Championships Cancelled" and the thread will now be closed.

To continue further discussions on the general topic of COVID-19 and its effects, please visit this thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?85376-COVID-19-Coping-and-Social-Distancing

To continue discussions about the effect of COVID-19 on the upcoming figure skating season, please visit this thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?85357-Coronavirus-and-the-new-season

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.