2020 World Championships Cancelled | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

angi

Spectator
Press Release from ISU

With the uncertainty surrounding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Skate Canada and the International Skating Union (ISU), were informed today by the Government of Quebec that they have decided to cancel the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020. The event was scheduled to take place from March 16-22, 2020 in Montreal at Centre Bell.

The ISU and Skate Canada and have closely monitored the provincial and federal health authorities’ position on the spread of the virus and fully respect the difficult decision made today. Like the authorities, the ISU and Skate Canada are committed to the health and safety of the athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and spectators.

The ISU therefore is unable to hold the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 at the above-mentioned planned date. The ISU thanks Skate Canada and all the partners involved in the preparation of the Event and for their cooperation during the critical monitoring phase leading up to this decision.

Many stakeholders have been affected by the cancellation of the World Championships, the ISU and Skate Canada will be communicating directly with each group in the coming days. Any fan who has purchased tickets directly from the official ticket provider Evenko will receive details on the refund process in due course.

Considering the current uncertain developments surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic, a rescheduling and/or relocation of the above-mentioned Championships within the current season, even if the season would be extended by several weeks after its normal end in early April, cannot be reasonably considered. During the coming weeks, the ISU will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 could possibly be held later in the year, but in any case not before October 2020. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with Skate Canada and ISU Members.

The ISU regrets that the most important Figure Skating Event of the season cannot be held as planned but the ISU also understands that the safety and well-being of all participants and the community take precedence and is sure that ISU Members, Skaters and fans will understand this decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How awful for the athletes, who have been working so long, the spectators, some of whom have been scrimping and saving for so long, and the city of Montreal, all the volunteers, everyone.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why didn’t I chose Tallinn... I hate my life.

I'm not affected that much - except in not being able to watch my skaters onlline - but I'm crossing all fingers and praying all of you get financial compensation.

Wouldn't most of the skaters actually be there now? The ISU should have bitten the bullet some time ago to save them all the trip, the hassles....

Xena45

Rinkside
I think it's the correct decision. Does anyone know if there will there be ticket refunds? And I'd still like to get the fanbag that I paid for.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder if they will refund at all, but maybe they don't have to since Quebec cancelled it.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I've been planning to go to this event for literal years... :( I understand the decision but I sure hope I'm getting my money back.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's the correct decision. Does anyone know if there will there be ticket refunds? And I'd still like to get the fanbag that I paid for.

I don't, unless we can all isolate ourselves in a bubble, which we can't. I feel terrible for the athletes, fans, organizers, everyone.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they will refund at all, but maybe they don't have to since Quebec cancelled it.

Figure skating already suffers from lack of fans, can you imagine if they didn't refund.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I'm so unbelievably annoyed right now. I was going to fly out on Sunday. My plan B was to still go to Montreal regardless of cancellation but just shorten my trip. But now I'm so irritated I don't even feel like going. And if Skate Canada, ISU, or whoever the hell it is refuses to issue a refund, I will lose my cotton-picking mind.

DC2003

Rinkside
Check your ticket - it clearly indicates refunding if event is cancelled. How and when is another story, but we at least finally have an answer.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm not affected that much - except in not being able to watch my skaters onlline - but I'm crossing all fingers and praying all of you get financial compensation.

Wouldn't most of the skaters actually be there now? The ISU should have bitten the bullet some time ago to save them all the trip, the hassles....

Financial compensation? How? The airline and hotels were not booked conditional on the championship going ahead. Will ISU and Skate Canada maybe spend hours on hold with the insurance company for me to hear how it’s not eligible for refunds? Oh, wait! No! It’s as exciting as watching the competitions. I should use the three days I took off work to do that, sit and wait for Please hold...

And I could have went to Tallinn... why did I pick Montreal? Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Status
Not open for further replies.