2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Financial compensation? How? The airline and hotels were not booked conditional on the championship going ahead. Will ISU and Skate Canada maybe spend hours on hold with the insurance company for me to hear how it’s not eligible for refunds? Oh, wait! No! It’s as exciting as watching the competitions. I should use the three days I took off work to do that, sit and wait for Please hold...

And I could have went to Tallinn... why did I pick Montreal? Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Should have said some compensation, I know, as in refund of the tickets. Truly, I am not trying to minimise the blow, I feel awful for everyone who spent a lot of money to go.

On another note, I would imagine the World Team Trophy will be a goner as well....

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I feel very badly for all the skaters who trained all season and for the fans who saved up to see their favorite skaters compete. It is a crummy situation all around.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel very badly for all the skaters who trained all season and for the fans who saved up to see their favorite skaters compete. It is a crummy situation all around.

It's so unfair for them. They all must feel so awful now.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Incredibly sad for everyone involved but probably the only right call. I also wish it would've been possible to hold the competition behind closed doors but in the end there would still be many people from all around the world in the building. After some coaches and skaters expressed their concerns over the competition taking place I guess there are quite a few skaters who are relieved right now. As said before I'm sorry for all skaters for whom Montreal would've been their last or only chance to compete in a World Championship. I'm also sorry for all of you guys who had tickets and were looking forward to it since months. :( I hope you'll at least get a refund.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ok.. so i will get my money refunded but that was the first time since 1932 that worlds were held in montreal.... so i don't think i will ever get a chance again to see worlds at home... i am not the type who will spend thousands on flights and hotels to go to worlds outside canada.... so sigh..

silver lining : to all those who thought Canada would lose spots in ladies and ice dance ... well.. we keep them ;)

NaVi

Medalist
I still maintain that some kind of event called the "World Figure Skating Championships" should take place... just not in a packed arena.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
ok.. so i will get my money refunded but that was the first time since 1932 that worlds were held in montreal.... so i don't think i will ever get a chance again to see worlds at home... i am not the type who will spend thousands on flights and hotels to go to worlds outside canada.... so sigh..

silver lining : to all those who thought Canada would lose spots in ladies and ice dance ... well.. we keep them ;)

My guess is like when worlds had to be moved from Japan in 2011, Montreal will be awarded the next worlds up for grabs in 2023. It is a few years more wait, but I think Montreal will get to hold their worlds sooner rather than later.

heartyxo

On the Ice
It’s the right decision but I’m so conflicted right now...
I’m sad for all the skaters and the programs we won’t get to see one last time, but there could have been implications for them and the audience. Especially if it caused a breakout in Montréal, where plenty of the ice dancers train.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
[FONT=&]Press Release from ISU

[/FONT]

Considering the current uncertain developments surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic, a rescheduling and/or relocation of the above-mentioned Championships within the current season, even if the season would be extended by several weeks after its normal end in early April, cannot be reasonably considered. During the coming weeks, the ISU will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 could possibly be held later in the year, but in any case not before October 2020. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with Skate Canada and ISU Members.

Still not the same.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My guess is like when worlds had to be moved from Japan in 2011, Montreal will be awarded the next worlds up for grabs in 2023. It is a few years more wait, but I think Montreal will get to hold their worlds sooner rather than later.

I am going to so boycott that

pianistliz

On the Ice
Devastated and heartbroken for the athletes but while I was hoping they would hold the competition without live spectators, I am very glad they canceled rather than continued with the original plan, that would have been way too irresponsible.

macy

Record Breaker
Well. I cant even say how sad I am for everyone who had any sort of involvement in this event, even those of us who were only going to watch via livestream.

Unless they hold it in april or may, I dont see how they can feasibly hold the event at any other time due to preparations for next season. The next season will already be well underway by October...that would really mess all the athletes up and put them under a lot of stress.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I'm not surprised. I hope it has the desired effect of not spreading the virus any further.
It doesn't because no matter if you cancel such things you can still get it by simply going to work, going grocery shopping ect. It's the same danger

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

mom2sk8rs

Rinkside
I've emailed the Bell Center regarding a refund, so we'll see. If not, I'll be playing my I know people in the media card who would love to have a story about unsympathetic organizations aren't offering refunds for events they canceled due to the outbreak.

There's no need to go nuclear before they've even had a chance - as per the official announcement on the Skate Canada website :
"Any fan who has purchased tickets directly from the official ticket provider Evenko will receive details on the refund process in due course."
https://skatecanada.ca/2020/03/cance...ionships-2020/

Status
Not open for further replies.