2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one am glad they canceled. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was all ready to travel to Montreal and was looking forward to attending and seeing some exciting skating live as well as seeing some of the GS members in person (some great people I've met through this community).

But the timing of this is so bad with events being canceled left and right, holding this event would've been a bad idea if people got sick or carried it home and infected a vulnerable person.

I hope they are able to hold a Worlds like event before the beginning of the GP Season, I guess we'll see.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
OMG. This while not shocking so much to think about. First of all this is sad for all skating enthusiasts and skaters. People live for the world championships. Second, I feel for all those who planned to travel or go to the World Championships - the money, time commitment and let down. For some there will be no insurance or pay back. Third, The skaters and coaches and all their support team - this is really hard. Fourth, there probably is a group of skaters who this may be their only or best chance at a world title or able to compete. The 3A's shelf life is very limited. Fifth, there are very few winners - maybe PC because they lost at Euros and were having issues preparing at one point but for most this is not a win. Sixth the economics hits so many not just the fans and travellers or Disney who makes pooh bears. Go away Corona Virus (and to my friend who stopped drinking Corona beer because he thoughthe could get the virus) save our skaters and people. But what needs to be done needs to be done for the betterment or best for all. I am sorry for so many people affected by not only the virus but even the cancellation of worlds.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one am glad they canceled. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was all ready to travel to Montreal and was looking forward to attending and seeing some exciting skating live as well as seeing some of the GS members in person (some great people I've met through this community).

But the timing of this is so bad with events being canceled left and right, holding this event would've been a bad idea if people got sick or carried it home and infected a vulnerable person.

I hope they are able to hold a Worlds like event before the beginning of the GP Season, I guess we'll see.

Hopefully by April it'll calm down.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It might not. The measures being taken now are primarily to minimize the number of people sick at the same time. So these cancellations may slow down the spread but, ultimately, may have little to no impact on the actual number of people exposed.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sad to hear this news, but I think it is for the best. I hope that everyone who has a refund coming to them, gets it back in full, and as quickly as possible, with a little hassle as possible.

I do feel very badly for the athletes, who worked so hard for this.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There's no need to go nuclear before they've even had a chance - as per the official announcement on the Skate Canada website :
"Any fan who has purchased tickets directly from the official ticket provider Evenko will receive details on the refund process in due course."
https://skatecanada.ca/2020/03/cance...ionships-2020/

But mine doesn’t say Evenco, it says Bell Centre. I bought it from their website.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain

According to Spanish press, spanish health authorities think that the virus crisis could be controlled in two months (in the best scenario) or five months (in the worst scenario). Of course this is a new virus and noone really knows and it's a pandemia, so it doesn´t matter if the situation is under control in one country but not in the rest… but they are watching the light at the end of the tunnel, so I guess, in one or two months ISU will probably say something about 2020worlds.

The good news: there're lots of videos in YT to watch again or discover in the extra time at home that many of us will probably have ;)

mom2sk8rs

Rinkside
But mine doesn’t say Evenco, it says Bell Centre. I bought it from their website.

If you go to the Bell Centre website and click on box office there are only 2 options "canadiens" for hockey and "evenko" for everything else - if you bought from the bell centre site you bought through evenko so you are good

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Evenko is the ticket administrator used by the Bell Centre. If you bought them through Stubhub or a reseller, I would say you might be out of luck. If you bought from the Montreal2020 site, you should get a refund.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Spanish press, spanish health authorities think that the virus crisis could be controlled in two months (in the best scenario) or five months (in the worst scenario). Of course this is a new virus and noone really knows and it's a pandemia, so it doesn´t matter if the situation is under control in one country but not in the rest… but they are watching the light at the end of the tunnel, so I guess, in one or two months ISU will probably say something about 2020worlds.

The good news: there're lots of videos in YT to watch again or discover in the extra time at home that many of us will probably have ;)

I'm already working at home for 2 weeks (Not due to Corona) so I'm already enjoying time off.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
"Considering the current uncertain developments surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic, a rescheduling and/or relocation of the above-mentioned Championships within the current season, even if the season would be extended by several weeks after its normal end in early April, cannot be reasonably considered. During the coming weeks, the ISU will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 could possibly be held later in the year, but in any case not before October 2020. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with Skate Canada and ISU Members."

Interesting part of the statement. I think it would better to hold it in October than not at all.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If you go to the Bell Centre website and click on box office there are only 2 options "canadiens" for hockey and "evenko" for everything else - if you bought from the bell centre site you bought through evenko so you are good

Yes, I bought them from the official WC website

brakes

On the Ice
I̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶f̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶N̶H̶L̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶N̶B̶A̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶g̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶d̶i̶u̶m̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶.̶
̶F̶i̶n̶a̶n̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶u̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶t̶i̶v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶e̶n̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶c̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶

EDIT:
I was wrong, I support cancelling Worlds after watching this: The lockdown: One month in Wuhan

NaVi

Medalist
Considering the current uncertain developments surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic, a rescheduling and/or relocation of the above-mentioned Championships within the current season, even if the season would be extended by several weeks after its normal end in early April, cannot be reasonably considered. During the coming weeks, the ISU will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 could possibly be held later in the year, but in any case not before October 2020. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with Skate Canada and ISU Members.

Um, why not until October 2020? I get skaters train to peak and trying to perform off that peak could make for more injuries... and that these coaching camps seem to have yearly schedules they like to keep to... but come on, World champions should be crowned. IF other sporting events can go on with no/little crowds then so can figure skating. There's a huge difference between putting on an event with 10-20K spectators and one with only the skaters, coaches, judges, and support staff(which would probably still number into the 2000s).

The inflexibility that ISU(or Skate Canada) has shown through all of this has been irritating. There could be very good money(insurance, legal) reasons for this, but absolutely nothing was done to reduce the crowd size at Worlds or to reduce travel from those most afflicted by the virus. In fact, every couple days they put out a new announcement detailing some kind of unwise event... just today when they announced some meet and greet section for autographs. That last announcement felt like they were begging to be canceled.

There's a chance(hopeful but a little skeptical) that the virus is somewhat seasonable and that when testing ramps up it might be possible to more effectively quarantine. If it is seasonable, it will probably decline around May and pick up again around October-November for most the temperate northern hemisphere.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's nice to wake up to a small piece of good news for once this week. Alongside the bad, of course, but this is perhaps the only choice the ISU has made all season that I agree with I just wish they'd done it sooner.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I understand why it was cancelled and I agree it's for the best, but man I am so disappointed. I feel like as much as the skaters I was living for the next week - to see how Alena, Anna and Sasha will do, if Rika is gonna go for the 4S and if Mariah could get her best result yet. How Danielian would do at his first worlds and whether Dima Aliev could podium. Who would win between B/K and S/H. I'm just so incredibly sad I am not able to witness all that greatness I've been looking forward to. :sad4:

Status
Not open for further replies.