2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad for all the skaters and those who were going to attend:sad21:

I'm glad they did make an announcement finally, the uncertainty is the worst. I also can't imagine a skating comp without an audience, that would be so sterile and bland to me.

I do hope Montréal gets another Worlds soon:agree:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm quite shocked that they don't even have appeared to even consider holding it behind closed doors.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
How will they determine GP spots? Next year's quotas for Worlds?

I hope that all the skaters who were planning to go this year get to qualify again. Especially skaters with fierce national competition. And I hope that Dasa, Donovan, etc., who were so close to the minimums, can go next year :pray:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well this is a blow, even though it's the wisest decision...

I can't lie though, I'm so bummed that I won't get to see T/M one last time this season...I was hoping so much for redemption!

Here's to the good health of every skater.

Teenes

On the Ice
Those of you who had travel booked, contact the airline and hotels. Most of them are being really reasonable about allowing a change or cancellation (for travel credit, not a refund, usually) with no fee. Air Canada even sent a letter out today saying they are allowing a one time rebooking. It’s not perfect if you don’t usually travel that much and would rather get your money back but it’s a lot better than you would usually get. Travel insurance in general doesn’t cover this case unless you got the “for any reason” coverage.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I feel like given the number of athletes that had already arrived that they could have held it without an audience. So many other sports are doing this. I really think it was cancelled because the ISU wasn't making any amendment to how they were holding it so the government stepped in. They can't really postpone it, this virus situation isn't going to go away in the next two months. This is sad.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I feel for all athletes and fans who were looking forward to this. I am still feeling my own little sadness over not being able to go to Coupe du Printemps, and having foolishly lost a lot of nonrefundable money on plane and competition tickets (for me even that was a considerable amount). I would have been flying tomorrow if Team Japan hadn't WD :/ So I do empathise with all fans who are despairing of the cancellation now.

TBH, I was hoping they'd hold it without audience, but I guess it was deemed to still be too much of a risk. If it takes place later on, I won't object, but I have difficulties imagining that. Wouldn't it collide with the GP too much, and create a strenuous season for the athletes?

The good news: there're lots of videos in YT to watch again or discover in the extra time at home that many of us will probably have ;)

Not that many, due to the absurd music copyright nonsense. Jr Worlds Ice Dance SD was taken down before I had a chance to finish watching top 3 groups. Jr Worlds ladies SP never reappeared after Sony had blocked it. :/ Maybe ISU could now devote the time to finding the pieces Sony objected to, editing the music out, and putting up the archived streams again for the fans who couldn't watch live and afterwards never got a chance.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Can we award the title of World Champion to the skater/pair that got the highest score at European/4CC? That will help raise the importance of those events going forward.

statmam

On the Ice
OMG. This while not shocking so much to think about. First of all this is sad for all skating enthusiasts and skaters. People live for the world championships. Second, I feel for all those who planned to travel or go to the World Championships - the money, time commitment and let down. For some there will be no insurance or pay back. Third, The skaters and coaches and all their support team - this is really hard. Fourth, there probably is a group of skaters who this may be their only or best chance at a world title or able to compete. The 3A's shelf life is very limited. Fifth, there are very few winners - maybe PC because they lost at Euros and were having issues preparing at one point but for most this is not a win. Sixth the economics hits so many not just the fans and travellers or Disney who makes pooh bears. Go away Corona Virus (and to my friend who stopped drinking Corona beer because he thoughthe could get the virus) save our skaters and people. But what needs to be done needs to be done for the betterment or best for all. I am sorry for so many people affected by not only the virus but even the cancellation of worlds.
Skater Boy, thanks for sorting out all the thoughts that were jumbled in my mind and summarizing them in an organized way.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very bummed. I'm actually glad they didn't decide to hold it with no audience. The audience is part of the event. I don't think holding it would have caused any danger, but politics obviously intervened. No one wanted to get blamed if even one person was affected.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
It's a shame but probably for the best considering that we are now in the middle of a pandemic.

I hope that they don't raise the minimum scores for the next worlds.

I nominate Montréal for 2023 Worlds!

I'm quite shocked that they don't even have appeared to even consider holding it behind closed doors.

I was thinking they might do this too, but they probably didn't want to give up the red carpet gala/awards ceremony...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How will they determine GP spots? Next year's quotas for Worlds?

I hope that all the skaters who were planning to go this year get to qualify again. Especially skaters with fierce national competition. And I hope that Dasa, Donovan, etc., who were so close to the minimums, can go next year :pray:

That's a double bummer for countries that were hoping to increase their spots (the US in ladies, for example). And I expect that skaters will have to re-qualify for next year.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
The good news: there're lots of videos in YT to watch again or discover in the extra time at home that many of us will probably have ;)

Not that many, due to the absurd music copyright nonsense. Jr Worlds Ice Dance SD was taken down before I had a chance to finish watching top 3 groups. Jr Worlds ladies SP never reappeared after Sony had blocked it. :/ Maybe ISU could now devote the time to finding the pieces Sony objected to, editing the music out, and putting up the archived streams again for the fans who couldn't watch live and afterwards never got a chance.

I fully support your demand!! ISU, you have work to do!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet NCAA basketball in the US is still happening, albeit without spectators.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel for all athletes and fans who were looking forward to this. I am still feeling my own little sadness over not being able to go to Coupe du Printemps, and having foolishly lost a lot of nonrefundable money on plane and competition tickets (for me even that was a considerable amount). I would have been flying tomorrow if Team Japan hadn't WD :/ So I do empathise with all fans who are despairing of the cancellation now.

TBH, I was hoping they'd hold it without audience, but I guess it was deemed to still be too much of a risk. If it takes place later on, I won't object, but I have difficulties imagining that. Wouldn't it collide with the GP too much, and create a strenuous season for the athletes?

Junior ladies SP and Junior Men’s LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.