2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

brakes

On the Ice
Report back in 2 weeks. US is 2 weeks behind Italy and that country is a mess right now.

Ofc all the denialists are welcome to "use their common sense" and go out and about. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
A̶r̶e̶ ̶N̶H̶L̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶N̶B̶A̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶e̶n̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶r̶o̶w̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶U̶S̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶i̶s̶?̶ :confused2:

EDIT:
I was wrong, I support cancelling Worlds after watching this: The lockdown: One month in Wuhan

LeReveur

On the Ice
I feel for everyone who's down about the news, whether you were just going to watch on a computer screen, you were going to be there, or you were anywhere in between.

I don't think anyone's happy about illness nor people's livelihoods, life experiences, and freedom of movement being impacted by it. Maybe one of the best ways to respond is to be especially patient and kind with others to make the good news flow.

This cancellation is now a piece of all of our histories. Let's hope upcoming competitions do take place and are especially enjoyable.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Are NHL and NBA in denial as well, keeping gathering much greater crowds in Canada and US on daily basis? :confused2:

You may want to rethink the validity of your position when it relies upon the (in)actions of Donald Trump.

And incidentally, NCAA basketball tournament is going ahead with no fans, as are Golden State NBA basketball games.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Are NHL and NBA in denial as well, keeping gathering much greater crowds in Canada and US on daily basis? :confused2:

I would hardly reference the NHL and NBA as role models of which orgs to follow during a global pandemic.

Laughable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Super sad for the skaters/teams/volunteers/officials and of course the fans. This really was terrible timing... the COVID hysteria has really started swelling this week and had Worlds been a week earlier we would have medalists and some great skates. Still there have been fantastic programs this season but heartbroken for the skaters who might have only had this shot at competing/medaling/winning.

I really wish they had considered a closed door but televised option. It's not the same obviously, but there should be a competition.

Also... what will become of the eleganza extravaganza that is the inaugural ISU Skating Awards?! :laugh:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No, they're not. Those are the people that will continue the spread. Nobody is an island where viruses are concerned.

Or maybe the denialists will just get it quicker, at which point I hope they do everyone a service and deal with it on their own and don't overcrowd the hospitals.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel like given the number of athletes that had already arrived that they could have held it without an audience.

I would have liked that, although it seems the decision was made by governmental authorities and not ISU/Skate Canada. I do hope they can hold the event in the fall, although 7 months is a long time and I wonder if they would allow countries to change their line-ups.

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
The level of hysteria going in this country right now is mind boggling. I'm 59 and have seen worst sh## then this in my lifetime but people nowadays have no common sense. I'm all for containing this virus but the way people are freaking out is :palmf: It's not the bubonic plague that killed milllions in the 14th century just use some common sense and you will be fine. And stop with this insane stockpiling of bath tissue like you are going to be stuck at home for weeks.

I'm sorry you're underestimating the whole situation.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but not now. Not after my entire country has been locked down, not after having to queue outside the supermarket as in war, infections and deaths continue to increase, doctors are forced to work for endless days, the health system is collapsing and in a few days the doctors will probably have to choose between those who can survive and those who can't… And believe it or not the Italian Health System is one of the best in the world and, above all, it's FREE, this means that everyone has access to medical care and you don't have to spend large sums every year. When the virus will spread to countries like the United States that do not have public health care I'm afraid it will be a massacre.

Cancelling Worlds was the right decision to help stop this pandemic.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Report back in 2 weeks. US is 2 weeks behind Italy and that country is a mess right now.

Ofc all the denialists are welcome to "use their common sense" and go out and about. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Yeah, except we have to go to work as usual, go on the transit as usual, and all that. It’s just our fun that got taken away. No breaks. It would have been easier to swallow if we were impacted, everything was closed etc. Everyone got their events, but when it got down to us... nope. We just get to absorb the losses and say things like, ‘oh, it’s for the best.’

brakes

On the Ice
I would hardly reference the NHL and NBA as role models of which orgs to follow during a global pandemic.

Laughable.
Y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶$̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶S̶U̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶g̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶.̶

EDIT:
I was wrong, I support cancelling Worlds after watching this: The lockdown: One month in Wuhan

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that many, due to the absurd music copyright nonsense. Jr Worlds Ice Dance SD was taken down before I had a chance to finish watching top 3 groups. Jr Worlds ladies SP never reappeared after Sony had blocked it. :/ Maybe ISU could now devote the time to finding the pieces Sony objected to, editing the music out, and putting up the archived streams again for the fans who couldn't watch live and afterwards never got a chance.

Junior Rhythm Dance is available again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfoi0jylvwA&list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eLcCuX5qhpu5v4yOUQVuT-K&index=29

I have posted individual skates i have found on youtube for mens Fs, ladies FS and free dance
in the video thread https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...orld-Junior-Championships-Videos-Thread/page2

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can we award the title of World Champion to the skater/pair that got the highest score at European/4CC? That will help raise the importance of those events going forward.

That's not really fair to skaters like Chen, Zhou, Uno, Miyahara, G-C/L, etc. who didn't get to skate at those competitions.

Maybe we just go with season's best scores and give the World podiums that way? :p
1. Chen 2. Hanyu 3. Aymoz
1. Kostornaia 2. Trusova 3. Shcherbackova
1. Boikova/Kozlovskii 2. Sui/Han 3. Tarasova/Morozov
1. Papadakis/Cizeron 2. Sinitsina/Katsalapov 3. Chock/Bates

(Just kidding obviously... separate competitions with different panels can't be compared, and Worlds is a different ball game.)

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Yeah, except we have to go to work as usual, go on the transit as usual, and all that. It’s just our fun that got taken away. No breaks. It would have been easier to swallow if we were impacted, everything was closed etc.

It probably won´t take long...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, except we have to go to work as usual, go on the transit as usual, and all that. It’s just our fun that got taken away. No breaks. It would have been easier to swallow if we were impacted, everything was closed etc. Everyone got their events, but when it got down to us... nope.

It depends. My workplace for example has shifted to a work-from-home and everyone is doing their work and meeting via email/G-drive/Slack/Zoom. And I know a lot of folks in Toronto are avoiding public transit like (for lack of a better idiom) the plague.

It's better to be proactive than reactive in the case of things like COVID. Yes, there's a ton of hysteria and misinformation, but as the saying goes, it's better to be safe than sorry.

(But, yes, people need to stop hoarding toilet paper. :laugh:)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It probably won´t take long...

If we were ever so lucky. No, no, we will work through it, and in three weeks it will be all over, and everyone will get back to normal... they will reschedule it too, I bet. Happy, happy, happy. How could we possibly dare be unhappy about losing our one bright spot in this year. No, no, all this kicking down is so cool and necessary for everyone else. Always be nice, always be safe, always be reasonable...and what do we get for it?

It was before Christmas when our 40 yo co-worker was dying of cancer and we were expecting layoffs that my boss told me we must take risks and do that once in a life-time stuff... I did. We survived two days of sitting at our desks waiting who gets the phone call...20% of staff let go, some of them colleagues for over a decade.

But I kept looking forward to going to the Worlds...

Now it’s thousand dollars into the trash can.

I think I would not mind that virus right now. At least then I would not have to go on the bus in the morning.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It depends. My workplace for example has shifted to a work-from-home and everyone is doing their work and meeting via email/G-drive/Slack/Zoom. And I know a lot of folks in Toronto are avoiding public transit like (for lack of a better idiom) the plague.

I work at a university and they has a plan in place if we have to close and work from home, everyone is getting instructions and training on how to hook into the phones with their mobiles and the computer systems with their home laptops (if they don't have a work one).

Except me. Because I actually retire to all intents and purposes on the 26th, have a whole nine work days left, and my plans were stay home and unwind for a while anyway...

(But, yes, people need to stop hoarding toilet paper. :laugh:)

The supermarkets here are getting quite stern about quotas. Mind you there was a story about a family - not even worrying about the virus! - who ordered in what they thought was a 48 pack box, accidentally ordered 48 boxes and worked out they have enough for the next twelve years. The story said they are planning to auction a heap for the local school's P&C :)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Just awful all round :(

I was looking forward to seeing Hanyu vs Nathan and Eteri's A Team battle it out!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Super sad for the skaters/teams/volunteers/officials and of course the fans. This really was terrible timing... the COVID hysteria has really started swelling this week and had Worlds been a week earlier we would have medalists and some great skates. Still there have been fantastic programs this season but heartbroken for the skaters who might have only had this shot at competing/medaling/winning.

I really wish they had considered a closed door but televised option. It's not the same obviously, but there should be a competition.

Also... what will become of the eleganza extravaganza that is the inaugural ISU Skating Awards?! :laugh:

Next time around I'll bring the gasoline and you can bring the matchbox. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.