Competitive careers in the face of Worlds 2020 cancellation | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Competitive careers in the face of Worlds 2020 cancellation

believed

On the Ice
There's a good chance Hanyu won't want NHK. Close to GPF and press is just all over him when he's there. If he competes in the Grand Prix series next year, I can see CoC. China isn't gonna say no to Hanyu, Boyang Jin or not.

Now, both Chen and Hanyu at SkAm... We likely won't see it, but that would be great. Early showdown in Vegas, lots of ticket sales. Just send Brown somewhere else and it won't matter who comes first or second, they don't need to protect Chen. He'll win whichever second GP he goes to.

Didn't Yuzu really enjoy NHK this year? And why would a fed not want to protect their best skater?

Elspeth

Rinkside
Didn't Yuzu really enjoy NHK this year? And why would a fed not want to protect their best skater?

I didn't get the vibe he enjoyed it as much as SCI. And NHK is so close to GPF that for an older skater (and let's face it, he is), doing two competitions so close together would be tiring.

Because of the opportunity to make some serious money. Everything is always about money, even when you can't see it. Chen is in little danger of not making GPF even if he lost to Hanyu at SkAm, and organisers could turn a serious profit in Las Vegas from having Hanyu there. Even more with the promise of a Hanyu vs Chen showdown.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now, both Chen and Hanyu at SkAm... We likely won't see it, but that would be great. Early showdown in Vegas, lots of ticket sales. Just send Brown somewhere else and it won't matter who comes first or second, they don't need to protect Chen. He'll win whichever second GP he goes to.

I really would love to see this. If SkAm goes ahead, I’d love to go and that would definitely be a big opening.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

He had the three competitions all close together, federation and press and public all over him like a smothering storm, especially in Japan, and the insane pressure for once showed. Japan's Fed don't do an awful lot to look after any of their skaters when you look at it, but with Yuzuru it's more noticeable because of who he is anyway.

I shouldn't be surprised if he chooses Skate Canada again and I'd like to see him do Cup of China (maybe banish another ghost of memory...)

Mikhail Kolyada is due back next year, isn't he? Would he be eligible for 2 GP spots? I missed him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu will skate at NHK. If any skater is accustomed to insane pressure, it is Yuzu. I don't care if he's the pewter medalist, the Japanese Fed wants him there and he will skate.:biggrin:

Nathan will skate at SkAm. He is now still the World Champion and the US most publicized skater ;). Yuzu has no reason to skate at SkAm with Nathan there, as much as the US Fed would love the ticket sale boost. Skate Canada it is.

Without Yuzu's sales presence, SkAm wants ticket sales. I would guess that they will try to get Jason there again. He is a fan favorite and still puts some butts in the seats.

That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it:laugh: