GP spots | Golden Skate

GP spots

MaHa75

On the Ice
Now when the seasons has unfortunately ended without WC how ISU will share the GP spots. Lot of skaters could not earn additional points for raiting/standings because of canceling the world championships. When some skaters who participate in JWC got benefits...like Kurakowa, Ryabova, Tornaghi, Uruzadze etc.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I hope once a method has been determined that they announce GP assignments earlier than usual, maybe May instead of June?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lot of skaters could not earn additional points for raiting/standings because of canceling the world championships.

Most of the athletes selected for Worlds had the chance to earn major international points at Europeans or 4CCs, which more than balances out Junior Worlds. Not all the world qualifiers attended a major international, but most either attended one or had the opportunity to do so. The high-ranked athletes that chose to skip a major international probably already have top 24 SB scores and/or top 24 WS rankings anyway. Some athletes would have earned more points at Worlds and a few (such as Turkkila & Versluis and Lauriault & Le Gac) missed out on a major international all together without choosing to skip anything. But then, the same thing happens every year to strong athletes from deep teams. I think the ISU will probably use the current SB and WS lists. I'm not sure what they will do about seeding. There are a few options there, none of which feels likely to match what would have been a Worlds top ten. (Using SB or WS or GPF results will not match what would have happened at Worlds as the three-per-country rule would have eliminated some of the athletes on those three lists from attending). Anyway, we'll see what happens with seeding and/or guaranteeing athletes 2 berths. But my guess is that they keep the SB and WS results portion of the selection process for who qualifies for one spot the same.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I hope once a method has been determined that they announce GP assignments earlier than usual, maybe May instead of June?

Unfortunately they will anounce still in june! Copy from ISU statement:
Please return the chart by June 10, 2020 latest indicating the following information:
So will see assigment after this date.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
From Philip Hersh.

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1272574996557246466

ISU says that the announcement will be later this year.

Hersh is usually well informed. Ted Barton will know more too (about JGP at least).

But there are so many uncertainties all over the world right now, that planning for events for the third and fourth quarters of 2020 seems premature.

Even after the 10 or 12 weeks deadline for pre-cancellation has passed, a hosting federation might still have to cancel their GP stage at the last moment or worse, when the athletes have already travelled.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Philip Hersh today posted this on Twitter:

"Am hearing that the ISU Council today approved “the concept” for some type of competition this autumn. No details on what is in “the concept,” but source tells me the idea of one-nation-only events seemed to be the likeliest because of all the international travel restrictions.

"That one-nation-only idea could include “virtual live” events with skaters from more than one country competing against other, with each performing in the country where they live and/or train. Schedules would be devised for athletes in different time zones.

"Person familiar with discussions said it was highly unlikely these events would bear any real resemblance to Sr Grand Prix. The ISU just hopes to give skaters some competitive opportunity, and the technology now exists to consider several options. Jr GP already cancelled."