Coronavirus and the new season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I hate the idea of canceling the Grand Prix in favor of a delayed Worlds. I can't think of a better way to kill the careers of many skaters who didn't qualify for Worlds. Where are they ever going to find any motivation to go on? Horrible idea.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
I hate the idea of canceling the Grand Prix in favor of a delayed Worlds. I can't think of a better way to kill the careers of many skaters who didn't qualify for Worlds. Where are they ever going to find any motivation to go on? Horrible idea.

Agreed! Not to mention all of the hosting countries and fans that live closer to them who get a chance to see skating live. On top of all the skaters who don't qualify for Worlds, there's also the opportunity for skaters to perform in front of a home crowd during the GP series, which they may not ever get in another big international event.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For the sake of both public health and logistics, I'd rather they cancelled both 2020 Worlds and the JGP/GP series outright, right now, and planned a shortened season starting in January next year. Maybe kick off with a reduced number of closed-door junior comps, Senior Bs and Challengers a bit earlier if that's possible (say, October or November?), but give athletes time to get back into structured training and regain their form after the lockdowns and quarantines start to be eased up, develop new programs and revamp their training plans to aim for 4CCs/Euros as the first major competitions of the season. No changes to TES minimums allowed, and extend any eligibilities that would have expired at the end of this season to the end of the 2020-2021 season due to athletes having reduced opportunities to earn them. Places per country for Worlds 2021 to be determined based on the results of 4CCs and Euros 2021. Then go back to the normal structure in the pre-Olympic season.

Amei

Record Breaker

I don't like the idea of delayed Worlds for a whole different reason - it penalizes the skaters that qualified for 2020 Worlds, they would be trapped having to either keep their 2019-2020 programs competition ready or use their new 2020-2021 programs with little to no competition experience. Keeping their old programs would take training time from their new programs or from new elements.

I believe Worlds 2020 has been officially cancelled. If they are still toying with the idea of 2020 Worlds I think they need to put a deadline of June 1st to avoid disrupting the skaters preparations for the new season. Realistically I think they could assess the situation mid-April, if most skaters rinks are off of lockdown and skaters can train on-ice then see what availability there is to holding Worlds, even if it means it's not held in Montreal or held without fans in the arena. They did this once before for the 2011 Worlds that were supposed to be in Japan but due to the tsunami, Russia stepped in and hosted the event on short notice.

Skatie

On the Ice
Zach Donahue tweeted that it’s official that all rinks closed until May 1 at the earliest. I assume he’s in Montreal? So long time before skaters can get back into ice in Canada at least.

NaVi

Medalist
I don't like the idea of delayed Worlds for a whole different reason - it penalizes the skaters that qualified for 2020 Worlds, they would be trapped having to either keep their 2019-2020 programs competition ready or use their new 2020-2021 programs with little to no competition experience. Keeping their old programs would take training time from their new programs or from new elements.

If the Grand Prix is cancelled, they'd have time in the summer to get the new programs choreographed and then after worlds in October they'd have a couple of months to drill the programs. Nationals/Euros/4CC could be delayed a month or two if necessary... in fact that'd probably be a good idea to give more time for a potential vaccination program.

ribbit

On the Ice
If the Grand Prix is cancelled, they'd have time in the summer to get the new programs choreographed and then after worlds in October they'd have a couple of months to drill the programs. Nationals/Euros/4CC could be delayed a month or two if necessary... in fact that'd probably be a good idea to give more time for a potential vaccination program.

It is not at all clear that travel restrictions and social-distancing measures will have eased everywhere by the beginning of the (North American) summer. Skaters who didn't qualify for worlds and got their new programs early will have an advantage, while skaters who had been preparing for worlds with their 2019-20 programs or who had taken a break after not making worlds may not be able to get new choreography. Certainly they won't all be able to get it on the same schedule, because the world isn't experiencing the pandemic on the same schedule. When will skaters from China (where the disease appears already to have peaked) who usually work with Lori Nichol be able to travel to Canada (where the peak has not yet arrived)? What about skaters from countries where the peak comes in late May or early June?

We can't rely on a vaccine to solve the problems of next season, or indeed the season after that. Reliable newspapers are reporting that we may be 18 months away from a vaccine in the best-case scenario. Here's an article from three days ago from The Guardian, the respected British newspaper, which contains this comment:

"“Like most vaccinologists, I don’t think this vaccine will be ready before 18 months,” says Annelies Wilder-Smith, professor of emerging infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. That’s already extremely fast, and it assumes there will be no hitches."

I don't know what the right answer to the problem of the 2020-21 season is. But I think it's clear that there's no salvaging the 2019-20 season. Best to draw a line under it and think about what can be planned safely and equitably for the coming fall or the winter.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I wonder if there will be a GP and challenger series at all. Not just because skaters don't have time to prepare new programs and train, but also because numerous countries are thinking of keeping their closed border policy for months from now. According to some reports, mine is considering keeping its borders closed for 2 years... not that we ever have anything high level except for an occasional JGP, but the thought of possibly not being able to see skating live for 2 years due to being unable to travel (or no competitions taking place) , just fills me with sadness. :/

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hope that the things will unfold with minimal losses, but tbh, planning for next fall at the moment seems like a fool’s errand. There is just no ability to forecast as of yet. Heart wrenching for the athletes.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I hope that the things will unfold with minimal losses, but tbh, planning for next fall at the moment seems like a fool’s errand. There is just no ability to forecast as of yet. Heart wrenching for the athletes.

completely agree. you can not plan anything at this point. In a few weeks or a month if officials start to see a big decrease in cases they can start maybe temporary dates with an * there because anything can change. Ex If the Olympics actually went through in July (which I dont think it will) that could completely start the entire ordeal again as it being the largest international event in world history.. they have to be VERY careful with that specific event. But yeah right now its far too soon to plan ahead. It is what it is right now and we just need to deal with it and be patient.

Fried

Final Flight
In a few weeks or a month if officials start to see a big decrease in cases they can start maybe temporary dates...
I envy you in your limitless optimism. It is just getting started in the USA and only the calm before the storm prevails in Russia. In a few weeks it should look worse than better. Sad, but pretty sure.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I envy you in your limitless optimism. It is just getting started in the USA and only the calm before the storm prevails in Russia. In a few weeks it should look worse than better. Sad, but pretty sure.

I wouldn't be surprised. The US is NOT taking this seriously.. they already have the 3rd most cases globally and there's kids still going to party in spring break. Its shocking.

SkateSkates

Medalist
The Grand Prix is how a lot of skaters make a majority their money for the season. With worlds and shows already being cancelled, I would hate for the GP to be cancelled in favor of a fall worlds where there is less opportunity to make money with only 3 skaters per nation. What about skaters like Liza or Zhenya who podium at GP events but can’t make it to worlds because of the 3 per country rule. These are adults who support themselves, but are lucky to be from a big fed who pays them salaries. This is not the case for everyone.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't be surprised. The US is NOT taking this seriously.. they already have the 3rd most cases globally and there's kids still going to party in spring break. Its shocking.

These dumb kids don't represent the majority. I live in a very populated area, and it is so quiet it's spooky. People are carefully distancing themselves in stores, reaching out to neighbors to find out if they need help, and basically staying inside except for a bit of exercise or a quick trip to get groceries.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
At this point, the most I am hoping for is a Worlds 2021 in Stockholm with maybe a few Nationals behind closed doors leading up to it. Hopefully Montreal will be able to host a future competition.

There's not much evidence that the virus will abate in warmer weather, as seen by new cases in Singapore and Thailand. Even if it does, the athletes have lost so much training time.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I had hopes for EU in Zagreb, but it seems they just had an earthquake (!) there. :sad21: like, I don’t even know what to say any more.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice

You’re going to have people like that in every country though. Not everyone is going to follow the recommendations of the government. Overall, the US is taking actions against the virus, the depth of the actions depends on what states you look at. My sister and I are teenagers and we haven’t hung out with any friends and have barely left the house. Our state just advised everyone to stay in their houses unless for essential activities. My state also has some of the lowest numbers of the virus, so the US is taking it seriously.

Jrhamstercat89

Rinkside
You’re going to have people like that in every country though. Not everyone is going to follow the recommendations of the government. Overall, the US is taking actions against the virus, the depth of the actions depends on what states you look at. My sister and I are teenagers and we haven’t hung out with any friends and have barely left the house. Our state just advised everyone to stay in their houses unless for essential activities. My state also has some of the lowest numbers of the virus, so the US is taking it seriously.

Yeah, I hate to jump in because I try to stay away from these debates online, but, I agree, in the U.S. it heavily depends on the state and even county.

My county is under shelter in place order and it is very empty. I live in an apartment and I am seeing people barely walking around and, if they do, I am yet to see a group of more than like 2 family members. No one in the dog part either :( I'm sure there are people ignoring this, but that is going to be the case everywhere. Before the shelter in place order, everything was already closed at least 2-3 weeks ago. I guess we will see, but I have been pretty impressed how many people in the U.S. responded to this. There is hope!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
ISU has cancelled all meetings and seminars that were on the calendar up to the end of August.

ISU Congress will be decided over ASAP.

Which probably means JPG season will not start earlier than end of August?