Coronavirus and the new season | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
International figure skating competitions may not take place this year. Russia is preparing for the Cup and the national championship.

As two sources familiar with the situation told SE, it is highly probable that the ISU will not be able to hold a single international competition until the end of the year. The main obstacle is not even the coronavirus pandemic, but the legal norms that states have introduced to curb the spread of infection.

ISU is making efforts to find countries that are ready to accept competitions with open borders, but there is no certainty that all athletes will be able to come to them and return to their places. The Russian Figure Skating Federation has already notified Russian athletes that with a high degree of probability the 2020/21 season will consist of the stages of the Russian Cup and the Russian Championship. Control rentals and special “challengers” will also be held, but the season will be at least until the end of the year domestic. Sources estimate the likelihood of such an outcome at 80-90 percent.

https://m.sport-express.ru/figure-s...ovitsya-k-kubku-i-chempionatu-strany-1688085/

macy

Record Breaker

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Canada was smart, the US one will be extended well beyond July. Of course, that makes me even more worried about Jason getting back to TCC, but no country should even be contemplating letting US folks in right now.

But we got lucky. So, so lucky.

I agree with this. Where I am, we are mostly under control although we will see what the holidays bring. It is messing up with my plans to see family on the Canadian side though. Oh well, I'll just keep making lists i guess...:laugh:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
this really sucks, but is not surprising. i really hope things are much better in the world by december and they stream any and all competitions as possible. same with the rest of the world.

With the caveat that things can change in a heartbeat and nobody knows what will happen for sure, it currently looks like some of the Challengers might still be viable - Germany is getting the North Rhine-Westphalia outbreak under control, Finland's daily case numbers are in single figures as often as not right now and Austria is chugging along okay. That's Nebelhorn, Finlandia and Inge Solar. If those countries keep things under control and the organising federations are prepared to accept smaller fields than usual, strict hygiene measures and minimal in-person audiences, and charge a nominal fee for access to a robust livestream, they could make it work.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
With the caveat that things can change in a heartbeat and nobody knows what will happen for sure, it currently looks like some of the Challengers might still be viable - Germany is getting the North Rhine-Westphalia outbreak under control, Finland's daily case numbers are in single figures as often as not right now and Austria is chugging along okay. That's Nebelhorn, Finlandia and Inge Solar. If those countries keep things under control and the organising federations are prepared to accept smaller fields than usual, strict hygiene measures and minimal in-person audiences, and charge a nominal fee for access to a robust livestream, they could make it work.

The problem is who can be there? Maybe a few European skaters. Can we really allow them Challenger status when most of the rest of the world can't attend?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The problem is who can be there? Maybe a few European skaters. Can we really allow them Challenger status when most of the rest of the world can't attend?

It's the Challenger series. They're not competing for a sizeable cash prize and there's no final to aim for. A few skaters might get a few more World Standings points than they otherwise would, but that will be a tiny blip in the established order in the long term, so why not let those who can make it to a competition have that miniscule and basically meaningless reward?

And every year there are international skaters who can't make it to even Senior Bs, let alone Challengers, not because of border closures but because they just can't afford to travel to them, eg Donovan Carrillo. This is just...that same sucky experience for a lot more people, whether it's because countries aren't letting skaters in or because they aren't letting them out.

And it is sucky. But the lack of significant prize money and capacity for a reasonable number of skaters and officials to access competitions without intercontinental travel makes running Challengers at the moment much less of an ethical issue than running the GP. If a few points here and there are enough of a worry, though, I guess the ISU could always drop them down to Senior B status.

sworddance21

On the Ice
If Canada was smart, the US one will be extended well beyond July. Of course, that makes me even more worried about Jason getting back to TCC, but no country should even be contemplating letting US folks in right now..

Jason is back in Canada. He's in quarantine for 14 days, but he got over the border a week or so ago. I don't have the link handy, but it is posted by several folks in Jason's fan fest page. That's a relief!

mrsaybia

Rinkside
Well, Sweden seems to think Worlds will be taking place as planned. All-event tickets sales have been announced for August 25.
Yes, I heard the news about Stockholm. Do you believe it's going to happen? I was so disappointed about Montreal, as it would have been our first intercontinental trip..... Seeing Yuzu, Jason and many others.... Of course I hope that Stockholm will happen. But tickets going for sale at the end of August. I don't know.......

zounger

Medalist
Yes, I heard the news about Stockholm. Do you believe it's going to happen? I was so disappointed about Montreal, as it would have been our first intercontinental trip..... Seeing Yuzu, Jason and many others.... Of course I hope that Stockholm will happen. But tickets going for sale at the end of August. I don't know.......

It should happen.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It should happen.

I am mostly convinced it will happen.
I am NOT convinced there will be many skaters, or from many countries, and/or many “favorites”. I just cannot see into the future.
And as long as the event does go ahead, you won’t have any chance at getting a refund.
So it might be an extremely devalued event, in which case the tickets would be seriously overpriced. (No, I don’t know the prices, but I can imagine based on past years.)
I guess I will wait and see what happens during the rest of 2020 before deciding on tickets.

zounger

Medalist
I am mostly convinced it will happen.
I am NOT convinced there will be many skaters, or from many countries, and/or many “favorites”. I just cannot see into the future.
And as long as the event does go ahead, you won’t have any chance at getting a refund.
So it might be an extremely devalued event, in which case the tickets would be seriously overpriced. (No, I don’t know the prices, but I can imagine based on past years.)
I guess I will wait and see what happens during the rest of 2020 before deciding on tickets.

Sweden didn't have so strict measures like other countries. They will and already getting some pressure on that but I hope their policy will not change. Also, everyone upfront knows the dates and I hope the procedure to reach Sweden. The fact that they are part of EU helps with traveling. Most likely the EU will have a common agreement with the traveling restrictions without testing. So many teams can reach European countries a couple of weeks before, train there in some facilities and during the competition week go to Stockholm. Avoiding this way any possible quarantines etc..

Country
Norway

Right now, Sweden is one of the few places in Europe where the spread is considered as still "out of control". They still have a high number of infected each day, as they, from day one, choose to have another strategy and not so strict measures.

They kinda did go for the herd immunity thing, all though they seem pretty far away from this.

As a result, most of Europe has started open their borders for countries that they consider has the virus under control and letting them in without quarantine, but Swedes are right now not welcomed in a lot of countries now until they get the numbers under control. Not even by the Nordic neighbours.

In Norway we have pretty low numbers now, but we have som issues now that we use a lot of foreign health workers from countries like Sweden this summer, to work in hospitals and nursing home and so on. And there are already several cases now, unfortunately, where swedes has brought the virus into hospitals in Norway...

Most Swedes seems okey with the situation and that they still have high numbers, the strategy is to isolate the weak and old ones. Because they have selected another strategy and think that they will be done with the virus sooner. Because of that, I actually think the Swedes will not have a problem hosting WC, as they will not fear imported cases. So I´m actually not surprised that they really believe they are going to host it.

So if they get the numbers under control in time, I actually think it there is a good chance they will host it. It is not a matter if Sweden wish to host it, because I think they will not have a problem welcoming foreign skaters, but it is the issues if other countries and/or ISU will think it´s safe enough to go to Sweden.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One problem is that reinfection appears to be a real threat with COVID; while not definitive, studies have apparently shown that while people do produce antibodies, they disappear from the bloodstream far more quickly than with previous viruses.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

If - and I emphasise if - this is so, herd immunity is not going to be a panacea because it will decline in months instead of the usual year or more. Which means that the people now recovered - in Sweden, in the US, in Russia, in my own Australia - may be open to reinfection and a second or even third wave by September when the GPF is due, let alone by the start of 2021.

And speaking of Australia, we have been very lucky, but in a way, this week should prove to the world just how easy it will be for the pandemic to flare up again. Victoria, thought to be pretty clear, has thrown up hotspots and cases because people were complacent/careless.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyone who buys tickets to Stockholm Worlds when they first go on sale is a fool, especially with that stated refund policy.

Sit and wait. Much can and will change in the coming months. For better, and for worse.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
F1 took place this weekend ( in Austria). Why shouldn't figure skating?

All F1 teams are already based in Europe and the drivers all live there also. All the current proposed races are also taking place in Europe. You are comparing apples to oranges.

F1 is also a very huge, very powerful, and very RICH sport. Money is not an issue for F1. It absolutely is for the ISU.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU did not cancel the Junior Figure Skating Grand Prix series
The Council of the International Union of Skaters (ISU) did not begin to cancel the series of the Junior Grand Prix in figure skating of the season 2020/21 at a meeting on Monday, a source familiar with the situation told RIA Novosti.

Initially, the Junior Grand Prix was supposed to start in August in Canada in Richmond, but due to the coronavirus pandemic, this tournament, as well as stages in Slovak Kosice and Japanese Yokohama, were canceled.

According to the agency’s source, ISU did not make a radical decision regarding the Junior Grand Prix on Monday and expects clarification of the situation with international flights in the autumn.
https://rsport.ria.ru/20200706/1573970214.html

:think::think::think:

Isn't that a bit late to decide since the 1st JGP starts Sept. 9th?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lakernik: ISU will not make hasty decisions on the adult stages of the Grand Prix

The International Skating Union (ISU) does not intend to make hasty decisions on the adult stages of the Grand Prix. This was reported to TASS by ISU Vice President Alexander Lakernik.

Currently, due to the difficult epidemiological situation, most countries remain closed, which makes it possible to postpone or cancel some competitions.

“The question is about the next starts, but, for example, the decision on the adult Grand Prix is still tolerated. It will be made in early August, and now it’s not worth waiting for decisions,” said Lakernik. “At the moment, a decision on junior Grand Prix, for the Challenger series tournaments, for those starts that begin the season."

https://tass.ru/sport/8898369