Coronavirus and the new season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

LadyB

Record Breaker
ISU has cancelled all meetings and seminars that were on the calendar up to the end of August.

ISU Congress will be decided over ASAP.

Which probably means JPG season will not start earlier than end of August?

As long as something starts at all... With athletes not able to train properly, when will competitions start if at all? With or without an audience? I wanted to go to Russian Test Skates this year...:sad21:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I hate the idea of canceling the Grand Prix in favor of a delayed Worlds. I can't think of a better way to kill the careers of many skaters who didn't qualify for Worlds. Where are they ever going to find any motivation to go on? Horrible idea.

Totally agreed! Even though I'm still disappointed beyond words that Worlds didn't take place, but what an anti-climax it would be to cold start it in the autumn! No, the ship has sailed. A wonderful season without appropriate ending, but that's that.

milkgirl

On the Ice
I hate the idea of canceling the Grand Prix in favor of a delayed Worlds. I can't think of a better way to kill the careers of many skaters who didn't qualify for Worlds. Where are they ever going to find any motivation to go on? Horrible idea.

Me too. Totally agree.

macy

Record Breaker
https://www.malaymail.com/news/spor...r-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-says-japan/1849805

According to this news, Tokyo Olympics will be postponed for about a year to 2021

So, for figure skating, the coming season may start later. Like Challengers in Oct, GP in Nov maybe. WC 2021 could be ib April even. Push back the dates.

well that really, really sucks. i feel so terrible for those athletes that have to train and stay healthy for another whole year...could we see more retirements in summer sports because of this?

now i am very worried for next season.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
https://www.malaymail.com/news/spor...r-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-says-japan/1849805

According to this news, Tokyo Olympics will be postponed for about a year to 2021

So, for figure skating, the coming season may start later. Like Challengers in Oct, GP in Nov maybe. WC 2021 could be ib April even. Push back the dates.

Well, here's to hoping that Tokyo2021 will be a wonderful Olympics where all the countries can fully participate and lots of spectators will watch!

Hopefully we will be able to see some figure skating too :pray:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
.could we see more retirements in summer sports because of this?

I think we might have retirements in winter sports—for example, skating—as well. Skaters who may have been on the fence about continuing through Beijing, might well decide that this might be a good time to move on with their lives. The uncertainty about whether there will be a skating season next year, and what form it might take even if events resume, has to be extremely stressful for them.

madraykin

Rinkside
I think we might have retirements in winter sports—for example, skating—as well. Skaters who may have been on the fence about continuing through Beijing, might well decide that this might be a good time to move on with their lives. The uncertainty about whether there will be a skating season next year, and what form it might take even if events resume, has to be extremely stressful for them.

Plus I imagine that for many of them there will be financial considerations.

Not just losing money from shows, but some of them coach which has also stopped, and I expect some government funding will be reduced or stopped entirely depending on how economies recover (and some recession pretty much globally seems likely).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW (and for better or worse), from Hersh tweeting within the last thirty minutes:

@ISU_Figure vice-president Alexander Lakernik of Russia just told me ... On entry numbers for 2021 #worldfigure if cancelled 2020 can't be rescheduled this year, Lakernik said all that (including an autumn worlds) was still in discussion depending on whether “the situation with the coronavirus will really improve.”

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1242493531266199553

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1242495145368576003

ETA (on Mar 27):

From isufigureskating's official Instagram account today:

Question: Is there any word on possibly rescheduling? [of 2020 Worlds]

Answer from isufigureskating: The decisions will be published as soon as they are made

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-PY9h3nP1e/ (Mar 27, see comments section)​

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Well, here's to hoping that Tokyo2021 will be a wonderful Olympics where all the countries can fully participate and lots of spectators will watch!

Hopefully we will be able to see some figure skating too :pray:

Well said, and seconded! :pray:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well that really, really sucks. i feel so terrible for those athletes that have to train and stay healthy for another whole year...could we see more retirements in summer sports because of this?

I'm worried about people staying alive. After we come through this and hopefully everyone lives, then I will worry about next season.

Fried

Final Flight
After we come through this and hopefully everyone lives, then I will worry about next season.
As sad as it is. I don't believe now that the thing is over before the next season. I'm afraid the next season will be completely canceled. If we are lucky, the competitions will take place without spectators.
Let's hope the best.

NaVi

Medalist
Virtue/Moir announced their comeback around Worlds 4 years ago and it's really not ideal to try to stage a comeback any time later. Kostner missed the GP in 16-17 but did the 2017 Euros/Worlds.

I wonder if this epidemic is affecting anyone's plans to either return or get out.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
As sad as it is. I don't believe now that the thing is over before the next season. I'm afraid the next season will be completely canceled. If we are lucky, the competitions will take place without spectators.
Let's hope the best.

I was thinking the other day that there might be national competitions but no internationals, and the national competitions may not have spectators.

Blueshirt

Rinkside
Greetings, everyone. I have lurked here for a while, looking for skating news, and finally decided to join as we all are saddened by the cancellation of the World Championships.

I don’t think the ISU should try to reschedule the 2020 Worlds for October. Even if skaters can return to training this summer – and that’s an optimistic time frame – they would need more time than usual to regain competitive form. Wouldn’t they benefit more from having something that at least resembles a pre-Olympic season?

But I propose a slightly larger field for the 2021 World Championships, primarily to provide that highest level of competition for as many skaters as possible before the Olympics. Here are a few ways to accomplish that while keeping the event feasible for judges and organizers.

No country loses entries earned for the Montreal Worlds. For example, Kazakhstan keeps 3 spots for ladies, assuming it can fill them. Canada carries over 3 entries for ice dance and 2 for ladies and pairs.

Technical minimums remain at current levels through the 2021 Worlds. A few additional skaters and teams from smaller federations likely would qualify, which is a great thing under the circumstances. I believe Harriet also suggested this in an earlier post.

Award extra entries based on the 2020 season. Ranking the skaters who qualified for Worlds by their season’s best score puts the U.S. ladies in line for 3 spots in Stockholm. The French, South Korean and Canadian men gain a second entry, while China and Britain can send 2 dance couples.

Expect the short programs for singles and pairs to have 7 flights each, while the rhythm dance probably stretches to 8. The free skates/free dance all drop to the normal 4 groups.

Finally, the ISU should award Montreal the 2023 World Championships.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I hate people even trying to put a date on restarting sports activities before the virus has beat beaten down and everyone can be vaccinated against it. The risk of getting this wrong for the sake of non-vital entertainment is just too great.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Greetings, everyone. I have lurked here for a while, looking for skating news, and finally decided to join as we all are saddened by the cancellation of the World Championships.

I don’t think the ISU should try to reschedule the 2020 Worlds for October. Even if skaters can return to training this summer – and that’s an optimistic time frame – they would need more time than usual to regain competitive form. Wouldn’t they benefit more from having something that at least resembles a pre-Olympic season?

But I propose a slightly larger field for the 2021 World Championships, primarily to provide that highest level of competition for as many skaters as possible before the Olympics. Here are a few ways to accomplish that while keeping the event feasible for judges and organizers.

No country loses entries earned for the Montreal Worlds. For example, Kazakhstan keeps 3 spots for ladies, assuming it can fill them. Canada carries over 3 entries for ice dance and 2 for ladies and pairs.

Technical minimums remain at current levels through the 2021 Worlds. A few additional skaters and teams from smaller federations likely would qualify, which is a great thing under the circumstances. I believe Harriet also suggested this in an earlier post.

Award extra entries based on the 2020 season. Ranking the skaters who qualified for Worlds by their season’s best score puts the U.S. ladies in line for 3 spots in Stockholm. The French, South Korean and Canadian men gain a second entry, while China and Britain can send 2 dance couples.

Expect the short programs for singles and pairs to have 7 flights each, while the rhythm dance probably stretches to 8. The free skates/free dance all drop to the normal 4 groups.

Finally, the ISU should award Montreal the 2023 World Championships.

Welcome to Golden Skate. Post often. :)