COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 8 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Mom grew up in Ireland during the 1930s, when there wasn't really toilet paper or paper towels. They cut up newspaper and used that, which is something people have used for hundreds of years (Shakespeare refers to a piece of bad writing in one of his plays as "only fit for bum fodder."). Just don't flush it down the toilet because it can clog the pipes.

You can use a mix of drinking alcohol and a bit of water as a hand sanitizer. Dishwater detergent also works. The real trick is the time spread scrubbing.

I mean I have a shower, and a bidet. I would survive. I just wouldn't necessarily love it. And definitely nothing down the toilet but tp. We have a septic tank and i'm very mindful.

I have tons of hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, perfume, and enough makeup to last for 10 years. And glitter. And sequins.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A new warning from the state dept in the US. If you are in Japan now, come home while you can. They just had a three day holiday and people didnt practice social distancing and their cases went from 40 a day to over 200.
Now my Taiwan friends say they are having a holiday.....Lord help them to be wise enough to just avoid people. Here is a meme I made up from a post by a Friend from Taiwan. I hope I got the translation correct.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My Mom grew up in Ireland during the 1930s, when there wasn't really toilet paper or paper towels. They cut up newspaper and used that, which is something people have used for hundreds of years (Shakespeare refers to a piece of bad writing in one of his plays as "only fit for bum fodder.").

Ahhh, that brings back childhood memories of the less nostalgia and authentic nightmare fuel sort... a couple of elderly relatives when I was tiny lived in very rural Australia and had the old-fashioned 'dunny' waaaaaay down the back paddock. Needing to head down there at night for a small child was easily the most scary thing in life, especially as it had no light (so the whole saga was torchlit) and especially after the song "Redback on the toilet seat" came out....

At least that had 'real' paper.... well, most of the time. Okay, some of the time. Okay, the times it didn't is what I remember.

Y'know, people who wax eloquent about 'the good old days' really should be made to go back and live there again :devil:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just heard they are considering or are using the Olympic Village for COVID cases. I'm doing my nightly news watching.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just heard they are considering or are using the Olympic Village for COVID cases. I'm doing my nightly news watching.

My wife cant handle the nightly news, so I wait till she leaves the dinner table and I watch it, fast forwarding through most of the garbage.. being a history nut, I am drawn like a moth to a flame. When this pandemic has calmed down, I cant wait to see if the American people finally get enough courage to demand preparation for the next one, on the federal, state, county, local and individual level. While many Americans have no sense of community, I think if we had 10 percent of the population make enough noise, it could happen.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
My wife cant handle the nightly news, so I wait till she leaves the dinner table and I watch it, fast forwarding through most of the garbage.. being a history nut, I am drawn like a moth to a flame.

I myself haven't been able to avoid the nightly news either. In the first week or so of the lockdown I was glued to the TV almost all day. Unlike other disasters we've lived through, this virus is happening in "slow-motion". The amount of cases rise each day and the level of measures the government is taking grows. There's very little actual "news" from day-to-day so it feels like watching the same disaster unfold over and over. I try to limit my TV news to an hour or two a day now and it helps.

First we're told that Americans shouldn't wear masks, but now they tell us to cover our faces in public with any makeshift mask we can find. A week ago I read an article that said we shouldn't be worried about our pets getting the virus, then I see another article just the other day saying that cats can actually get coronavirus. :scratch2: It seems like pets could easily spread the virus around, if only from surface to another surface. My cats are always climbing on countertops and tables when I'm not looking.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
There is the folded hankerchief mask in elbkup's post
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...l-Distancing&p=2594248&viewfull=1#post2594248

Even I could probably manage this. Well...except no hair ties.

But I do have HEPA material from unused vacuum cleaner bags. It filters to 0.3 micron at 99.7% efficiency. N95 masks are made of the same sort of HEPA filter material.

The coronavirus virus is 0.1 to 0.15 micron. However, that puts it in a better size range to be filtered out by Hepa filter material, not worse!

https://www.abatement.com/learning-center/patient-isolation/facts-about-hepa-filtration/

In other words, a rated 0.3 micron filter works better for 0.10-0.15 micron items like viruses than it does for 0.3 micron standard testing aerosol particles.

If you would like the detail on this:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-136/pdfs/2003-136.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2003136

(Skip to the figure 4 on page 27 of the pdf file). There is a good explanation in the surrounding text.

So I will make masks out of my HEPA vacuum cleaner bags, encased in a fabric pocket.

Just be careful with the HEPA vacuum cleaner bags as some of them contain fibreglass and you don't want that anywhere near your nose/lungs...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I myself haven't been able to avoid the nightly news either. In the first week or so of the lockdown I was glued to the TV almost all day. Unlike other disasters we've lived through, this virus is happening in "slow-motion". The amount of cases rise each day and the level of measures the government is taking grows. There's very little actual "news" from day-to-day so it feels like watching the same disaster unfold over and over. I try to limit my TV news to an hour or two a day now and it helps.

First we're told that Americans shouldn't wear masks, but now they tell us to cover our faces in public with any makeshift mask we can find. A week ago I read an article that said we shouldn't be worried about our pets getting the virus, then I see another article just the other day saying that cats can actually get coronavirus. :scratch2: It seems like pets could easily spread the virus around, if only from surface to another surface. My cats are always climbing on countertops and tables when I'm not looking.

I really wouldn’t worry about your cats. Please read this: https://consciouscat.net/2020/04/02...s-can-infect-cats-but-theres-no-need-to-panic

And this:

https://consciouscat.net/2020/04/01...isk-of-covid-19-infection-in-cats/#more-55895

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Information has to be sifted through very carefully. The days of Walter Cronkite are long gone and now its all about sensationalism. Tabloid news. 90 percent of us have had a corona virus. It causes about one third of all colds. In fact, the antibodies we all made to fend off those colds are actually interfering with the new blood tests to pick up Cov 19 antibodies in our selves. fear not the cat, unless its a Civet from China, a known host of SARS. Rob Reiner and Mel Brooks were on CBS Sunday Morning today, pleading with the news to stop broadcating all this negative sensationalist crap and try and be more helpful. Both those guys went through WWII and served the US.....

It is hard to acccept the US feral Govt putting out there that you dont need a mask. Every country that has beaten this like Singapore, Taiwan and Korea, reccommends masks...it would have been much better if the CDC just admitted that the US and so many other countries messed up big time after SARS 2003, Swine Flu 2009, and MERS 2015 and didnt prepare for the next big one, that could be much worse than Cov19. My hope is still after this virus calms down, we take that 20 million dollars we pay someone to put a ball through a hoop and make 20 doctors instead. Make hospitals, testing lab, masks, respirators...and be ready like the Koreans for the next big one. The Chinese just re-opened their wet markets 2 days ago....its only a matter of time again.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On the bright side, George Takei, of Startrek fame, is doing well and isolating like the rest of us. When he was five, he and his family were taken at gunpoint to a concentration camp in Arkansas....what a guy....You GO man!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Takei

George Takei tested positive :( no ?

I do not think that George Takei has tested positive? Hope not.

I believe that his longstanding activism against anti-Asian racism in the U.S. (which is a corona-exacerbated issue) is one of the reasons that he was interviewed for the CBS story -- along with his memories of being forced to endure internment during WWII. The part with Takei starts at approx. the four-minute mark of the video.

Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner and George Takei with advice for the "Next-Greatest Generation"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mel-br...with-advice-for-the-next-greatest-generation/ (Apr 5 article and video)​

... Rob Reiner and Mel Brooks were on CBS Sunday Morning today ... Both those guys went through WWII and served the US.....

Carl Reiner, not son Rob, is who you meant.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Information has to be sifted through very carefully. The days of Walter Cronkite are long gone and now its all about sensationalism. Tabloid news. 90 percent of us have had a corona virus. It causes about one third of all colds. In fact, the antibodies we all made to fend off those colds are actually interfering with the new blood tests to pick up Cov 19 antibodies in our selves. fear not the cat, unless its a Civet from China, a known host of SARS. Rob Reiner and Mel Brooks were on CBS Sunday Morning today, pleading with the news to stop broadcating all this negative sensationalist crap and try and be more helpful. Both those guys went through WWII and served the US.....

It is hard to acccept the US feral Govt putting out there that you dont need a mask. Every country that has beaten this like Singapore, Taiwan and Korea, reccommends masks...it would have been much better if the CDC just admitted that the US and so many other countries messed up big time after SARS 2003, Swine Flu 2009, and MERS 2015 and didnt prepare for the next big one, that could be much worse than Cov19. My hope is still after this virus calms down, we take that 20 million dollars we pay someone to put a ball through a hoop and make 20 doctors instead. Make hospitals, testing lab, masks, respirators...and be ready like the Koreans for the next big one. The Chinese just re-opened their wet markets 2 days ago....its only a matter of time again.....

A tiger at the Bronx zoo just tested positive (with a non FDA approved test, which means it hasn't been tested for efficacy or reliability) for COVID 19. This is going to be very, very bad for house cats. The way people are freaking out around here, hoarding toilet paper, chicks, flour, yeast, anything they can get their hands on (while being in stores potentially exposing themselves) I am afraid of feral colonies being destroyed and massive numbers of pet cats being turned in to shelters or killed because many shelters aren't open to the public right now. If people would just stop and think....pet cats (who should be kept inside always) are very unlikely to transmit the virus to their owners. If it is transferrable, the cats should be worried about their owners transferring it to THEM. A feral cat won't come within 6 feet of anyone who hasn't been feeding it for years.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I watch a major cable news network 4 hours per day during the week, primarily because I find the specific anchors comforting, and I don't think it is sensationalistic at all. There are way too many people in this country who think things like they are washed in the blood of Jesus so they can't get it, people who think it is some sort of Democratic plot (I guess including all those Democrats in Italy, Japan, China, etc) to unseat the President, etc. We don't have enough tests in the US to know how many people have it. And the CDC has been recommending people wear masks for several days now, though the President says he will not wear one. He also says a scarf is as good as a mask. My brother, the MD, didn't get that memo, nor did any of the people in the hospital last time I was there. People are still not being realistic about how serious this is. We still have states that don't have stay at home orders. These things are real problems which will ultimately lead in more deaths and longer times under quarantine.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I watch a major cable news network 4 hours per day during the week, primarily because I find the specific anchors comforting, and I don't think it is sensationalistic at all. There are way too many people in this country who think things like they are washed in the blood of Jesus so they can't get it, people who think it is some sort of Democratic plot (I guess including all those Democrats in Italy, Japan, China, etc) to unseat the President, etc. We don't have enough tests in the US to know how many people have it. And the CDC has been recommending people wear masks for several days now, though the President says he will not wear one. He also says a scarf is as good as a mask. My brother, the MD, didn't get that memo, nor did any of the people in the hospital last time I was there. People are still not being realistic about how serious this is. We still have states that don't have stay at home orders. These things are real problems which will ultimately lead in more deaths and longer times under quarantine.

Yeah, I saw all those Christians attending Church...maybe they forgot that "The Lord helps him that helps Himself".
I cant believe the Swedes are still not social distancing!!!!!! I thought them smarter than that and that they would have a larger sense of community there.
As for the mixed signals we are getting at the federal , state and local levels, like the Georgia Gov saying he didnt know it could be spread by asymptomatic people, I just shake my head and wonder what kids ARE being taught in school if not national, state and local preparedness??? Or even how to educate oneself, as I had to do once I got COPD. I lost all my trust in the feral govt during the Vietnam war....
WA is giving ventilators back to the national stockpile and we will reach our peak of 22 dead each day by Thursday...then go down like Italy and Spain....hopefully.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A tiger at the Bronx zoo just tested positive (with a non FDA approved test, which means it hasn't been tested for efficacy or reliability) for COVID 19. This is going to be very, very bad for house cats. The way people are freaking out around here, hoarding toilet paper, chicks, flour, yeast, anything they can get their hands on (while being in stores potentially exposing themselves) I am afraid of feral colonies being destroyed and massive numbers of pet cats being turned in to shelters or killed because many shelters aren't open to the public right now. If people would just stop and think....pet cats (who should be kept inside always) are very unlikely to transmit the virus to their owners. If it is transferrable, the cats should be worried about their owners transferring it to THEM. A feral cat won't come within 6 feet of anyone who hasn't been feeding it for years.

While I am not a cat person, the cat issue (and there are many here who love cats) is interesting. How did a bronx tiger get it if not from a trainner? The Civets poached for China obviously are carriers but do they show symptoms? If you have a house cat that stays indoors, then your only worry is that you give the C19 to it and it would snuggle up to someone down the live and transfer it. But as ABC Doc. Jen says, they just dont know anything at all about pets right now.
Letting a cat out of doors and then back in presents a whole new dynamic. Can cats get it from each other and bring it home or can they get it from all the wild animals they kill? Do American bats carry covid.? What do you do if you have lots of barn cats?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm worried about Easter. I'm afraid that social distancing will not be a priority that day.

Ducky

On the Ice

This is a virus we've only been aware of as being able to infect humans since for what 5 months ago? That's no time at all.

But we don't know how many live particles of the virus is needed to infect someone, we don't know how it might be transmitted in the air (if at all). There's a lot scientists are learning on the fly and so, like with any breaking news, you're going to end up with a new discovery negating previous reporting.