COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 17 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm a little worried we will see a spike in cases in the U.S. Mothers day weekend a lot of people were out. And with Memorial day weekend coming up, it's a little scary.

The problem with the US is that we're one nation but 50 separate states -- hooray federalism! -- with different laws and different governments in each one. I don't even think the President could declare a nationwide quarantine or curfew, and if he were to at this stage states such as Texas or Georgia could sue the federal government for over reach and the Supreme court could issue a stay until they decide whether or not it's constitutionally allowed for him to do so.

I was talking to a barista today about when we think people in NYC will break and just stop adhering to social distancing mandates -- and not is a let's hang out in the park on a sunny day 6 ft away from each other way but in a screw it, block party way -- and both agreed that once the first heat wave hits everything is going to go out the window. Otoh, I think by now most New Yorkers know first hand people who have had Covid-19 -- I currently have a former colleague who is in King's County being treated for it after losing his mom to it; he's currently complaining about now having a roommate so I'm assuming he's pulling through, and someone's put up posters around the neighborhood memorializing a man who recently died as a reminder to people to wear masks -- so a lot of interaction is tempered with social distancing especially outside.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The mortality rate in the US is 5.4%. It is currently the leading cause of death in the US. I can’t keep up with other countries very well. New Zealand almost completely escaped it, but they shut the country down and didn’t even allow their own citizens re entry (they can enter now, but have to quarantine for 2 weeks in a government facility).

What I meant was that recent events seem to indicate that many more people than we first thought have had the virus and have recovered from it... most of them not even knowing they had it.

To be honest, I think this is the case with my wife. Shortly after we returned from a Christmas Cruise, she had some sort of respiratory illness that went on for months, and it was resistant to antibiotics, which means it had to have been viral. At first I thought it couldn't be that, but now we are learning that the spread began earlier than first thought... so I can't help but wonder.

And, if she had it, then I surely did, although I did not have symptoms.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What I meant was that recent events seem to indicate that many more people than we first thought have had the virus and have recovered from it... most of them not even knowing they had it.

To be honest, I think this is the case with my wife. Shortly after we returned from a Christmas Cruise, she had some sort of respiratory illness that went on for months, and it was resistant to antibiotics, which means it had to have been viral. At first I thought it couldn't be that, but now we are learning that the spread began earlier than first thought... so I can't help but wonder.

And, if she had it, then I surely did, although I did not have symptoms.

Correct. Random studies in CA to MI have shown the antibodies in many who had no symptoms. Until we get the good accurate serum tests out there, no one will know how many were infected but I suspect that it isnt 50 times the current number as the CA studies show, but could easily be 20 times the current number, putting the death rate in the toilet.....It astounds me that half of Americans refuse to get a flu shot, killing thousands of their countrymen, and themselves....yet all the hysteria on the news is about Covid. Yes, its serious. So is the flu, drunk drivers, and texting behind the wheel, heart desease, cancer, and a whole lot of other things. Facts, not fear.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correct. Random studies in CA to MI have shown the antibodies in many who had no symptoms. Until we get the good accurate serum tests out there, no one will know how many were infected but I suspect that it isnt 50 times the current number as the CA studies show, but could easily be 20 times the current number, putting the death rate in the toilet.....It astounds me that half of Americans refuse to get a flu shot, killing thousands of their countrymen, and themselves....yet all the hysteria on the news is about Covid. Yes, its serious. So is the flu, drunk drivers, and texting behind the wheel, heart desease, cancer, and a whole lot of other things. Facts, not fear.

The problem is none of those things, other than flu, is contagious, and there is a flu vaccine, though not enough of us take it. Skating isn’t being disrupted by drunk driving or cancer. The flu isn’t keeping me from seeing Gracie. COVID is.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello!

Haven't been on Golden Skate in a while. I've been busy with work (working from home) and dealing with other things.

Long story short, my family caught Covid-19.

We had a small gathering the weekend before Christmas (7 people only) and apparently one of us was asymptomatic. By the 21st we were displaying symptoms, and went to get tested.

Thankfully, most of us were working from home already, or not working at all, so we didn't spread it to others. The only thing we can think of is when one of us went out for groceries or supplies, we were exposed.

My mom and dad (77 & 81) seem to have recovered. they have some lingering symptoms, but nothing major.

My niece, her boyfriend and my grand-nephew (7) also had mild cases.

My younger brother Chris (46) had the worst case. He was feeling ok, but his oxygen levels kept dropping, and he spent a week in the hospital. He came home from the hospital on Friday (01/08) and is doing ok, but has an oxygen tank. It is on a very low setting, and doctors seem to feel that he'll be off this in about 10 days or so.

I seem to have had the most mild case. Fever for two days, and some nausea/stomach issues, but other than that, no major issues. I have a theory as to why. I've read online that apparently there are findings that melatonin can help build a resistance to the virus, or help ease symptoms. I have always had issues falling asleep, so for the past 2 years I've been taking a natural sleep aid that works for me. One of the natural ingredients is melatonin. It's possible that this helped me strengthen my ability to fight off Covid.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello!

Haven't been on Golden Skate in a while. I've been busy with work (working from home) and dealing with other things.

We had a small gathering the weekend before Christmas (7 people only) and apparently one of us was asymptomatic. By the 21st we were displaying symptoms, and went to get tested.

Thankfully, most of us were working from home already, or not working at all, so we didn't spread it to others. The only thing we can think of is when one of us went out for groceries or supplies, we were exposed.

My mom and dad (77 & 81) seem to have recovered. they have some lingering symptoms, but nothing major.

My younger brother Chris (46) had the worst case. He was feeling ok, but his oxygen levels kept dropping, and he spent a week in the hospital. He came home from the hospital on Friday (01/08) and is doing ok, but has an oxygen tank. It is on a very low setting, and doctors seem to feel that he'll be off this in about 10 days or so.

I seem to have had the most mild case. Fever for two days, and some nausea/stomach issues, but other than that, no major issues. I have a theory as to why. I've read online that apparently there are findings that melatonin can help build a resistance to the virus, or help ease symptoms. I have always had issues falling asleep, so for the past 2 years I've been taking a natural sleep aid that works for me. One of the natural ingredients is melatonin. It's possible that this helped me strengthen my ability to fight off Covid.

I'm sorry to hear this, CellarDweller, but glad to hear that most of your family is recovered. I hope your brother's health progresses:pray:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hello!

I read the melatonin study also. I take fast acting liquid melatonin every night. I wish you and your family well! Great news about your mom and dad. With one in three Ohio State athletes who get covid ending up with some level of cellular heart damage, if I get it, I will see if there is a way to test for lung and heart damage after this is all over. My wife got very lucky and has her first vax scheduled...but even the new head of the CDC says she doesnt know where the missing 20 million doses are or what is in the pipeline. Kudus to Pfizer for putting up on their website that they are slowing output and changing over to a new meathod of manufacture that should really speed up vax supply in Feb. Since the UK seems like they are happy with the Oxford vax, and millions of doses stored, I can see why the US gov backed alot of horse like them and Johnson and Johnson.
Everyone be as careful as you can. The Korean case study of restaurants coupled with other infections shows even the old covid was and is much more contagious than thought. Now we have the UK variant, the South African and Brazilian varients.