COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 6 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Me too...
Poor Bats get such a bad rap... I love them but would NEVER handle a (dead) one, or a dead bird for that matter with bare hands..

Bats as wild animals are useful for eating mosquitos, for instance.
They do carry rabies.
Found a bat in a pan full of water in our kitchen sink this summer. Sent the bat off but he was negative

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I work at a university that has been moving to work from home/online teaching for the last three weeks. Today, it came in as mandatory for my division, and everyone stayed hime as directed. Except me. Because today was my very last day of work (I go on long service/accumulated annual leave, then retire at the end).

I feel slightly weird, mildly guilty.... and oh so lucky.

And social distancing starts in earnest tomorrow (I'm a homebody anyway...)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m retired and coping as normally with the exception of now going to supermarket only once in a week. This happens early in the morning = around 9 as there are very few people in the shop at that time and so easy to keep the distance. In the freezer I always have different food cooked by me for every lunch put in a one-meal box for 5-6 weeks each. When I see that something is going to run out I´ll just buy more of it the next time.

Fortunately this supermarket is in a walking distance, but sometimes I go home with a bus which has a bus stop on the other side of the street there and at home. Normally I´m the only passenger, but sometimes a couple more.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bats as wild animals are useful for eating mosquitos, for instance.
They do carry rabies.
Found a bat in a pan full of water in our kitchen sink this summer. Sent the bat off but he was negative

My small Papillion, Loki, found a dead bird outdoors recently and brought it into the kitchen via the pet door in the breezeway... feathers EVERYWHERE... miserable day cleaning that mess up... Guess who spent the rest of the day outdoors behind closed gates in the dog yard?!!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A doctor discusses disinfecting groceries and take out.

https://youtu.be/sjDuwc9KBps

Thanks for posting that Doris. Some helpful hints, however, not everyone has a porch or a large counter top like the one he demonstrates. I live in an apartment in NYC with a small kitchen with my "island" half the size.

There was also this article in the Washington Post that advises people be cautious but not have to wipe down every single thing you buy. They say if you are going to use the product right away then use a disinfectant and of course wash produce, as you normally would. Otherwise put away your food and wash your hands after.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...pping-getting-delivery-or-accepting-packages/ (You may need a subscription to read it)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am like a moth to a flame. RNA from the virus was found on the Diamond Princess 17 days after the pax left...so does this mean viable viruses were found or just the RNA remnant?
The Koreans have beaten the virus...one technique they use is to track the credit cards and cell phones of those infected..and alert the cell phones of anyone close to someone who is infected. What facets of the Korean experience would be acceptable to the citizens of the US and which would not?
Chris the kid in class who always had his hand up.

I always had my hand up too. The other kids hated me. As for animals, it’s thought to have jumped from a strange animal in a Chinese market. Stuff Americans don’t eat.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is my hope that after this outbreak is over, Federal, state, county and INDIVIDUALs will take responsibility for preparing for the next one. MERS 2015 in Korea was a wake up call for them. They got their testing ducks, lab ducks, mask ducks and technology ducks in a row for this outbreak. We dont need to be spending trillions on professional sports figures and talking heads...we need to spend that money on doctors and medical proffesionals, hospitals, and equipment. We dont need to pay for advertising at the superbowl, we need a medical system that is not strained before the outbreak. We have met the enemy, Mr Cuomo, and he is us.

If you have Netflix, they very timely released a 6 part documentary called Pandemic, which is about what doctors in various parts of the world are doing to prepare. Anything else I say might be getting into politics, which I assume is verboten.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I work at a university that has been moving to work from home/online teaching for the last three weeks. Today, it came in as mandatory for my division, and everyone stayed hime as directed. Except me. Because today was my very last day of work (I go on long service/accumulated annual leave, then retire at the end).

I feel slightly weird, mildly guilty.... and oh so lucky.

And social distancing starts in earnest tomorrow (I'm a homebody anyway...)

Congratulations! My wife and I were talking today how lucky we felt to be retired and living away from people on our ranch during this terrible time... I still go to town for food but I wear an N100 mask...once we head into the time where all ventilators are spoken for, I wont go to town at all for a few weeks. I want to live so I can harrass my politicians to implement a program to expand hospitals, preparedness, and to give a free ride to ANYONE willing to go through med school and practice for 20 years. There is nothing worse than an old man with a telephone, a computer, and free time on his hands....:thumbsup:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I´m retired and coping as normally with the exception of now going to supermarket only once in a week. This happens early in the morning = around 9 as there are very few people in the shop at that time and so easy to keep the distance. In the freezer I always have different food cooked by me for every lunch put in a one-meal box for 5-6 weeks each. When I see that something is going to run out I´ll just buy more of it the next time.

Fortunately this supermarket is in a walking distance, but sometimes I go home with a bus which has a bus stop on the other side of the street there and at home. Normally I´m the only passenger, but sometimes a couple more.

Good plan. There is no way I would get on a bus or in a car with other people at this point in the urban US. Looking at the curves from the US and other countries, I think we have 3 rough weeks. The third being the roughest.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you have Netflix, they very timely released a 6 part documentary called Pandemic, which is about what doctors in various parts of the world are doing to prepare. Anything else I say might be getting into politics, which I assume is verboten.

I am staying away from at least some of the coverage....I do hope the US Public TV series "Nova" does a multi part special on this when its all done and hangs certain entities out to dry for their arrogant mistakes.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I always had my hand up too. The other kids hated me. As for animals, it’s thought to have jumped from a strange animal in a Chinese market. Stuff Americans don’t eat.

Correct. In this case, the poor pangolin is probably the host. 500,000 are poached a year for food...The Chinese govt was warned...they didnt listen...

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52048195

Here are 20 good articles about what will fix this disgusting torture.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ome..69i57.11815j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am staying away from at least some of the coverage....I do hope the US Public TV series "Nova" does a multi part special on this when its all done and hangs certain entities out to dry for their arrogant mistakes.

It isn’t really coverage. It’s talking about H1N1 and swine flu. I think filming wrapped in 2019.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
There is nothing worse than an old man with a telephone, a computer, and free time on his hands....:thumbsup:

I don't know about that.

There's still that peculiar old man with a comb over, a twitter account, in that elongated circular office.... I think he had you beat. :p :think:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
yeah, there is a battle in ignorance, stupidity, indifference, incompetence going on between several country leaders with the populist agenda

Ducky

On the Ice

I believe it was from a Pangolin, which is one of the most endangered mammals on the planet (the WWF lists them as being critically endangered) and one of the most trafficked animals in Asia, and increasingly Africa. From the WWF:
Their meat is considered a delicacy and pangolin scales are used in traditional medicine and folk remedies to treat a range of ailments from asthma to rheumatism and arthritis. All eight pangolin species are protected under national and international laws but that is not stopping the massive international illegal trade in pangolins, which has increased in recent years because of growing demand.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I believe it was from a Pangolin, which is one of the most endangered mammals on the planet (the WWF lists them as being critically endangered) and one of the most trafficked animals in Asia, and increasingly Africa. From the WWF:

Exactly. Alot of people have to be involved to poach this animal, transport it to China, and sell it on the market. Money can turn alot of heads the wrong way. It takes a whole chain of people to shoot a Rhino with a rocket propelled greanade (RPG), cut off the horn, send it to China, and grind it up and sell it for an aphrodisiac. Or cut off a mountain gorilla's hand and sell it...there is great evil in the world...hungery, people, yes, but lots of evil.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It isn’t really coverage. It’s talking about H1N1 and swine flu. I think filming wrapped in 2019.

I am sorry but I dont understand. My wish is that NOVA will put on a new special at the end of the year, documenting the science behind the 2003 spread and control and the 2019 spread and control. The have done many others in the past. Here is one from 2006 they did on the pandemic of 1918. I think so many people are watching it, the website crashed.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/1918-flu/

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can S Korean or Chinese members or posters answer some mask questions?

Hi, I haven’t been able to get on here in a while. I have seen everything for sale at all kinds of prices on Alibaba and I cannot judge what is good or bad or fair. The S. Korean Kn 94 or higher masks are in greater supply than USA. There are also many reusable masks that are washable. People are making cloth masks here but with onlynone ideal for a filter ie a piece of vacuum bag. I have to supply people with at least surgical masks because I’m very vulnerable and they are disposable. Can anyone help me navigate these products. There is great fraud out there. Up I was overcharged on eBay and the industrial type masks have a very bad odor a strange one. They were 3. Who knows if they are good ones. S Korea is an honest country.

Can anyone in Asia help me get maybe 300 disposable masks the good surgical ones . Hat would they cost and what price shipping. In Asia all wear masks and that has helped fly and now covid 19. If anyone has ideas or can help. From here it’s impossible to look on saynalibaba or other unknown market places to get good quality at ungouged prices. Thank you. It has been very hard. Symptoms yet I wasn’t tested as there are no rests still for most of us despite my age and underlying chronic high risk conditions. Thank you. Please know Poe is life and death formthisemwhomhave caregivers come in.