COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 7 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hear pleas every day on the Boston TV channels for people to donate any masks, including construction masks, they have to Brigham & Women's Hospital and other hospitals.

There are no masks to be had here in New England.

I do not know where to get masks in a country where all 50 states and the federal goverment (not to mention the whole world)are bidding against each other and me for masks.

I have heard the filtered vacuum cleaner bag suggestion.

They appear to work fairly well.

The article above says a double layer of cotton shirt material works quite well and can be washed.

The world is crazy.

I weep for my country.

We all need to make some homemade masks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/

Here is a good craft pattern for them.
https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I hear pleas every day on the Boston TV channels for people to donate any masks, including construction masks, they have to Brigham & Women's Hospital and other hospitals.

I do not know where to get masks in a country where all 50 states and the federal goverment (not to mention the whole world)are bidding against each other and me for masks.

The article above says a double layer of cotton shirt material works quite well and can be washed.

The world is crazy.

I weep for my country.

We just need to work smarter, not harder...like going from 10,000 sterilized masks a day to 400,000
https://www.battelle.org/newsroom/n...K0kLgNwp3ciW0KE5nzuHn_rv_OhbY6i73k1cU_U6WyQYw

I hate to sit here and rag on my fellow Washitonians, but we live in Volcano country! Fire county! Google pics of what kind of living hades Spokane became when Mt St Helens blew....I still have volcanic ash on my property but I have to work to find it. And some days the smoke is so bad in the summer I have to wear one of my N100 masks due to my COPD...and people dont stockpile masks? Towns, counties, states, the Feral Govt???? What happened to the country that was told to prepare for Nuclear war?
(BTW, we didnt feel the 6.5 earthquate that just happened in Idaho but we were prepared for it.)
My trooper co workers remember mt st helens...the ash is nasty...tear the guts out of a car engine or your lungs.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is pretty interesting if you are a geek like me....this is an interview with subtitiles of the Korean Dr. Fauci. What he learned and how he killed the virus in Korea...the guy is a saint.
I know many dont have the time to watch a 36 min interview so here are a few take aways.
"You need a mask" (But he sees why the US doesnt want people to keep them from docs)"The virus loves 50 degrees and 30 percent humidity" " You can get flair ups after having had it" "You have a 30 percent change of looseing taste....important to know" "Eye glasses offer some protection" "20 percent of new Korean cases are coming in by Plane" "You might just have fatigue and loss of appatite or no symptoms at all in 20 percent of the cases" "You need a mask" "Some of the Korean young people are not social distancing, but clubbing" "You need a mask"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk...mLcJJ-t8bH-Z3wnZZT8rqkwODTpvKY4UndOGQaXvDHRDw

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Chris. Very interesting. I listened to the whole thing.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
A few things you might find useful.

I live in Manhattan, which is pretty much the epicenter (NYC) of the worst pandemic outbreak in the country. The concept of "social distancing" takes on new meaning in a city where, on a subway during rush hour, you're lucky to have 6mm of social distance let alone six feet.

So things have changed radically in the last two weeks.

Lockdown is really a voluntary concept here. The police have far too much else to do rather than ask people if they're going shopping or to a pharmacy. Besides, every restaurant and bar is closed. Almost all stores are closed. Traffic yes, traffic jams? Not in my neighborhood (though I live in the most densely populated residential part of "the city," as we like to call Manhattan). People have been mostly staying in. New Yorkers are surprisingly good about handling emergency situations.

Shopping and laundromats are open, but now only a small number of people can go in at one time. You are given a ticket, which is time stamped. You have 30 minutes to shop. If you exceed that, the checkout people will not check you out. They have put tape on the floor to mark out each 6 feet, which means lines for the cashiers extend into the grocery aisles. There was absolute immediate hoarding the first two weeks of March, worse than what I saw immediately after 9/11 (and yes, I was here for that, and for the blackout in the early 2000s). The hoarding has eased up -- Manhattan is notorious for its minuscule kitchens--so people are probably living with relatively full larders (well so to speak, a "larder" would probably be registered as a bedroom, which would allow the landlord to charge much more rent for the same space). But the price gouging has already started: I had to pay $5 for a dozen jumbo eggs earlier in the week. NOTHING is on sale anymore.

So, if you have the storage and fridge/freezer space, stock up not just on food that will last (canned and dried foods), but normally 'perishable' items like bread that can be frozen. I've switched to what is commonly known as a "non-dairy creamer" for my coffee, because milk has flown off the shelves. You might want to stock up on a canister or 5 of them (if you wind up not using them, donate them to a local AA meeting--they could use them). Also be aware that all stores WILL cut their hours drastically. This also means there WILL be long long lines to get into the store (one supermarket here, the wait just to get in was estimated by the store employee who monitored the line to be a minimum of 2-3 hours). Plan ahead.

Laundry. Well laundromats have been EXTREMELY problematic. Because the number of people allowed into a building at one time is now being severely restricted, a laundromat is very problematic. Solution: I'm wearing as little as possible at home (and trust me, I was raised an Irish Catholic, so the word "exhibitionism" is NOT in my personal vocabulary). And I'm handwashing clothes, wringing them out, and letting them dry in the shower overnight. All those documentaries I've watched about "life on a medieval/Tudor/Victorian farm" have come in handy. For those of you who live in areas not yet on lockdown and don't have a washer/dryer, keep that in mind. Or else you will have to devote the good part of a FULL DAY to laundry, a day where you will be in a public space with its associated dangers of exposure.

The bank. There were probably about 15 branches of my bank in my immediate neighborhood. 98% have closed, including their ATM machines. I had a two hour wait today on a line outside the bank to get access to the ATM machine. And I was one of the lucky ones. People behind me online were told "The bank is closed. Sorry." Just something to keep in mind, particularly if are, like me, averse to using credit cards (I don't have any). Also remember that cash is notorious for being germ-laden, so be sure to wipe it down when you get home with a mixture of bleach and water. No, I'm not kidding.

But we're coping. I said on another thread that at 7PM every night, people have opened their windows or gone out on their stoops and cheered for all the people who are putting their health at risk by working to keep things running. And those of us who are clapping and yelling are actually doing things like smiling at each other and waving. Last night, someone put speakers out their window and blasted Frank Sinatra's version of New York New York. And it seems like everyone who was out clapping started singing along. It felt very Life Affirming.

So just a small taste of how life has changed in the middle of a lockdown. Hope you find it helpful.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nobody here wants to take cash. I bought a birthday card for 1.00 and was encouraged to use my debit card, so I did. I couldn't bring myself to choose a card without looking inside at the message, so I took my only (tiny) bottle of hand sanitizer with me and cleaned my hands in front of the card rack.

Ella339

On the Ice
Lots of great tips on here! I'll add my own: if you've taken to "quarantining" all the stuff you've touched while you were outside for a few days, and your phone is the one sticky point, just slide it in a ziplock! The touch screen will work just as well as it usually does. :)

(I love how so much of the advice online is "disinfect this, wipe that"... I haven't seen any disinfectant or wipes in weeks at my local shops! :()

Ducky

On the Ice
Nobody here wants to take cash. I bought a birthday card for 1.00 and was encouraged to use my debit card, so I did. I couldn't bring myself to choose a card without looking inside at the message, so I took my only (tiny) bottle of hand sanitizer with me and cleaned my hands in front of the card rack.

So what are the people who don't have a bank and thus don't have a debit card, and don't have a credit card, supposed to do?

That's a rather big problem in America where a lot of more bougie places, mostly upper-middle-class aiming take-away places like sweetgreens, dig-inn, etc., only now take cards at the detriment of excluding an entire class of people.

Weakankles: the solution to laundromats -- and frankly, they are necessary in a city where the majority of people aren't allowed to have a washing machine in their apartment -- would be drop off service only. But, considering that the majority of cases are in working class neighborhoods, which are more unlikely to have people who can afford the extra bucks that would be required for that, it's not really viable. I mean, these are the same people who still have to take the subway to work, who are freaking getting told that they might get fined for "overcrowding" on the platform AND who are considered essential employees. Like, do you think the RNs (never mind the cleaners, aides, techs, intake staff) who work at Woodhull or King's County Hospital have the luxury of waiting for the next train or taking a taxi? Or the cleaners who have to go into the city because JP freaking Morgan is technically a bank and has told their investment bankers they can't work from home?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So what are the people who don't have a bank and thus don't have a debit card, and don't have a credit card, supposed to do?

That's a rather big problem in America where a lot of more bougie places, mostly upper-middle-class aiming take-away places like sweetgreens, dig-inn, etc., only now take cards at the detriment of excluding an entire class of people.

They didn't outright refuse to take cash for my purchase, they just had signs saying use debit/credit if possible. This was the dollar store, after all. A lot of stores used to have signs saying they WOULDN'T accept plastic for small purchases; not anymore.

I have grown accustomed to using plastic for smallish purchases (but not $1.00 small) because we often go into a big store for a few things, and their self-checkout won't deal with cash. We don't do that any more, of course. I had to tell my husband that he was only allowed to grocery shop once a week, or he'd still go frequently.

Debit took off sooner and bigger in Canada than in the US. Stores stopped taking physical checks around 20 years ago. I know a lot of people who use debit all the time, even when buying a coffee. About the only people in Canada who don't have plastic are the homeless; they usually get meals at missions, soup kitchens, etc, not stores and restaurants.

The fact that McDonald's etc only have their drive-thrus open is a problem. Lots of gnashing of teeth about how they won't let people walk up to the drive-thru window. Maybe they have walk-up windows in NYC where cars are rarer?

We have been getting take-out once a week from a local restaurant. You have to park in front and go in the front door, where they meet you at the desk with a bag of food and a debit/credit card machine. They want you to use tap so you don't have to touch the pinpad. I also tear off my own receipt, so he doesn't touch it and hand it to me.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lots of great tips on here! I'll add my own: if you've taken to "quarantining" all the stuff you've touched while you were outside for a few days, and your phone is the one sticky point, just slide it in a ziplock! The touch screen will work just as well as it usually does. :)

(I love how so much of the advice online is "disinfect this, wipe that"... I haven't seen any disinfectant or wipes in weeks at my local shops! :()

I don't have any disinfectant or wipes either, though I do have bleach. I just wash the outside of my grocery packages with normal dish water. That's the ones for immediate consumption or headed for the refrigerator/freezer. The rest go into quarantine in a laundry basket; fortunately we have a spare.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's clear we utterly fail at panic buying: the last three weeks we have spent less than we normally do in the weekly shop and this week it was the lowest for ages - I suspect we were the only people walking out without tp (we have ample from a special before this all started!) and the lovely lady at the door was pretty sure we were too :laugh: Only a few things are hard to get here, and the limits are strict, so we can still get most everything except hand sanitiser. We do have a startling number of gift soaps in drawers and cupboards, starting to actually use them...

On a cheery note, a 99 year old British lady has beaten the damn thing :hap10: :hap10:, and her grateful grandson joked that "I don't know how she got through it. I don't think she has ever eaten a vegetable or fruit. She lives on marmalade sandwiches and biscuits, but she's had a terrible diet her entire life. She's always just eaten chocolates and biscuits."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/scouse-nan-99-beats-coronavirus-18037844

So there you are, I'm laying in a supply of Silver Shred marmalade and Tim Tams :laugh2: Or the good old English Jaffa cakes :yes2:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Found this tutorial from Japan ... how to make a face mask without sewing, simple, easy.
Caveat: it is not meant to replace surgical masks but it is good in a pinch if one must leave the house, will at least prevent face touching, and it is washable.. (when all this started, I had exactly 3 surgical type masks on hand left over from various home improvement projects so have used this no-sew variety when frequenting public places)..

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/n...4izfq_3UBM5UlEan_n3wUv54saxFege9x0amrphin2dWY

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few things you might find useful.

I live in Manhattan, which is pretty much the epicenter (NYC) of the worst pandemic outbreak in the country. The concept of "social distancing" takes on new meaning in a city where, on a subway during rush hour, you're lucky to have 6mm of social distance let alone six feet.

So things have changed radically in the last two weeks.

Lockdown is really a voluntary concept here. The police have far too much else to do rather than ask people if they're going shopping or to a pharmacy. Besides, every restaurant and bar is closed. Almost all stores are closed. Traffic yes, traffic jams? Not in my neighborhood (though I live in the most densely populated residential part of "the city," as we like to call Manhattan). People have been mostly staying in. New Yorkers are surprisingly good about handling emergency situations.

Shopping and laundromats are open, but now only a small number of people can go in at one time. You are given a ticket, which is time stamped. You have 30 minutes to shop. If you exceed that, the checkout people will not check you out. They have put tape on the floor to mark out each 6 feet, which means lines for the cashiers extend into the grocery aisles. There was absolute immediate hoarding the first two weeks of March, worse than what I saw immediately after 9/11 (and yes, I was here for that, and for the blackout in the early 2000s). The hoarding has eased up -- Manhattan is notorious for its minuscule kitchens--so people are probably living with relatively full larders (well so to speak, a "larder" would probably be registered as a bedroom, which would allow the landlord to charge much more rent for the same space). But the price gouging has already started: I had to pay $5 for a dozen jumbo eggs earlier in the week. NOTHING is on sale anymore.

So, if you have the storage and fridge/freezer space, stock up not just on food that will last (canned and dried foods), but normally 'perishable' items like bread that can be frozen. I've switched to what is commonly known as a "non-dairy creamer" for my coffee, because milk has flown off the shelves. You might want to stock up on a canister or 5 of them (if you wind up not using them, donate them to a local AA meeting--they could use them). Also be aware that all stores WILL cut their hours drastically. This also means there WILL be long long lines to get into the store (one supermarket here, the wait just to get in was estimated by the store employee who monitored the line to be a minimum of 2-3 hours). Plan ahead.

Laundry. Well laundromats have been EXTREMELY problematic. Because the number of people allowed into a building at one time is now being severely restricted, a laundromat is very problematic. Solution: I'm wearing as little as possible at home (and trust me, I was raised an Irish Catholic, so the word "exhibitionism" is NOT in my personal vocabulary). And I'm handwashing clothes, wringing them out, and letting them dry in the shower overnight. All those documentaries I've watched about "life on a medieval/Tudor/Victorian farm" have come in handy. For those of you who live in areas not yet on lockdown and don't have a washer/dryer, keep that in mind. Or else you will have to devote the good part of a FULL DAY to laundry, a day where you will be in a public space with its associated dangers of exposure.

The bank. There were probably about 15 branches of my bank in my immediate neighborhood. 98% have closed, including their ATM machines. I had a two hour wait today on a line outside the bank to get access to the ATM machine. And I was one of the lucky ones. People behind me online were told "The bank is closed. Sorry." Just something to keep in mind, particularly if are, like me, averse to using credit cards (I don't have any). Also remember that cash is notorious for being germ-laden, so be sure to wipe it down when you get home with a mixture of bleach and water. No, I'm not kidding.

But we're coping. I said on another thread that at 7PM every night, people have opened their windows or gone out on their stoops and cheered for all the people who are putting their health at risk by working to keep things running. And those of us who are clapping and yelling are actually doing things like smiling at each other and waving. Last night, someone put speakers out their window and blasted Frank Sinatra's version of New York New York. And it seems like everyone who was out clapping started singing along. It felt very Life Affirming.

So just a small taste of how life has changed in the middle of a lockdown. Hope you find it helpful.

I live in rural Missouri. I've been out once in the past 2 weeks, I think, to senior shopping day at Walmart, which starts obscenely early. People are still hoarding toilet paper. I live in a county of 100,000. There was toilet paper in Walmart, but we did not get there in time to get any. There is no toilet paper anywhere. I just don't understand it. I had to get my parents to mail me 7 rolls. I finally got some from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow, and should be 1-2 months worth. There are no thermometers, no Tylenol, no Lysol wipes, no hand sanitizer. The USFS booth was giving away FREE hand sanitizer at Nationals, if I had only known! We have a few known cases in my town of 2,636m and since there are always more unknown than known cases that scares me pretty badly. We have 138 hospital beds for the county.

Thank goodness we have a washer and dryer, and a standalone freezer and a regular refrigerator/freezer.

I don't use cash ever for anything except to pay the lawn guy. He needs to start taking Paypal or he won't be mowing the lawn. I refuse to handle cash. I use debit/credit only.

We finally got a lockdown order today, which isn't even to take place until Monday. I've been tweeting the governor and calling his office for 2 weeks.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was just hearing about this regarding the social security checks. There's apparently a massive group of people who don't have access to banks. They don't have enough money to even keep a bank account open. The checks will be mailed out over the weeks to come, with the latest coming in September. Those people get screwed by the check cashing places, too.

- - - Updated - - -

The world is crazy.

I weep for my country.

I can't sew. I'm going to use a bandana or something.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is the folded hankerchief mask in elbkup's post
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...l-Distancing&p=2594248&viewfull=1#post2594248

Even I could probably manage this. Well...except no hair ties.

But I do have HEPA material from unused vacuum cleaner bags. It filters to 0.3 micron at 99.7% efficiency. N95 masks are made of the same sort of HEPA filter material.

The coronavirus virus is 0.1 to 0.15 micron. However, that puts it in a better size range to be filtered out by Hepa filter material, not worse!

https://www.abatement.com/learning-center/patient-isolation/facts-about-hepa-filtration/

Why is HEPA testing done with a 0.3-micron particle size test aerosol?

Filter efficiency studies have shown that 0.3-microns is very close to what is known as the "Most Penetrating Particle Size (MPPS)" for HEPA filter media. Efficiency is typically greater than 99.97% against larger or smaller particle sizes. Particles larger than 0.3 microns are more easily trapped, or intercepted, by the media. Smaller particles often lack sufficient mass to penetrate the media.

In other words, a rated 0.3 micron filter works better for 0.10-0.15 micron items like viruses than it does for 0.3 micron standard testing aerosol particles.

If you would like the detail on this:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-136/pdfs/2003-136.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2003136

(Skip to the figure 4 on page 27 of the pdf file). There is a good explanation in the surrounding text.

So I will make masks out of my HEPA vacuum cleaner bags, encased in a fabric pocket.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's clear we utterly fail at panic buying: the last three weeks we have spent less than we normally do in the weekly shop and this week it was the lowest for ages - I suspect we were the only people walking out without tp (we have ample from a special before this all started!) and the lovely lady at the door was pretty sure we were too :laugh: Only a few things are hard to get here, and the limits are strict, so we can still get most everything except hand sanitiser. We do have a startling number of gift soaps in drawers and cupboards, starting to actually use them...

On a cheery note, a 99 year old British lady has beaten the damn thing :hap10: :hap10:, and her grateful grandson joked that "I don't know how she got through it. I don't think she has ever eaten a vegetable or fruit. She lives on marmalade sandwiches and biscuits, but she's had a terrible diet her entire life. She's always just eaten chocolates and biscuits."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/scouse-nan-99-beats-coronavirus-18037844

So there you are, I'm laying in a supply of Silver Shred marmalade and Tim Tams :laugh2: Or the good old English Jaffa cakes :yes2:

She's a Scouse! So that's why! (I'm LFC fan, so I'm biased :biggrin: ) Glad to hear even very elderly people can live through the illness :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is the folded hankerchief mask in elbkup's post
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...l-Distancing&p=2594248&viewfull=1#post2594248

Even I could probably manage this. Well...except no hair ties.

But I do have HEPA material from unused vacuum cleaner bags. It filters to 0.3 micron at 99.7% efficiency. N95 masks are made of the same sort of HEPA filter material.

The coronavirus virus is 0.1 to 0.15 micron. However, that puts it in a better size range to be filtered out by Hepa filter material, not worse!

https://www.abatement.com/learning-center/patient-isolation/facts-about-hepa-filtration/

In other words, a rated 0.3 micron filter works better for 0.10-0.15 micron items like viruses than it does for 0.3 micron standard testing aerosol particles.

If you would like the detail on this:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-136/pdfs/2003-136.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2003136

(Skip to the figure 4 on page 27 of the pdf file). There is a good explanation in the surrounding text.

So I will make masks out of my HEPA vacuum cleaner bags, encased in a fabric pocket.

All our vacuums are bagless. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm just not going anywhere, and if I do I'm sending my BIL in. Pretty much everything we need is available via curbside pickup or delivery, if it is available at all.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
She's a Scouse! So that's why! (I'm LFC fan, so I'm biased :biggrin: ) Glad to hear even very elderly people can live through the illness :)

today i saw on the news that a 101 spanish lady (yes, 101!) recovered from the virus :hap10:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
today i saw on the news that a 101 spanish lady (yes, 101!) recovered from the virus :hap10:

Wow, that's awesome! I mean, just fact that she lives so long is amazing, but being able to recover from covid just bring the hope for infected older people :hap10:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I live in rural Missouri. I've been out once in the past 2 weeks, I think, to senior shopping day at Walmart, which starts obscenely early. People are still hoarding toilet paper. I live in a county of 100,000. There was toilet paper in Walmart, but we did not get there in time to get any. There is no toilet paper anywhere. I just don't understand it. I had to get my parents to mail me 7 rolls. I finally got some from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow, and should be 1-2 months worth. There are no thermometers, no Tylenol, no Lysol wipes, no hand sanitizer. The USFS booth was giving away FREE hand sanitizer at Nationals, if I had only known! We have a few known cases in my town of 2,636m and since there are always more unknown than known cases that scares me pretty badly. We have 138 hospital beds for the county.

Thank goodness we have a washer and dryer, and a standalone freezer and a regular refrigerator/freezer.

I don't use cash ever for anything except to pay the lawn guy. He needs to start taking Paypal or he won't be mowing the lawn. I refuse to handle cash. I use debit/credit only.

We finally got a lockdown order today, which isn't even to take place until Monday. I've been tweeting the governor and calling his office for 2 weeks.

My Mom grew up in Ireland during the 1930s, when there wasn't really toilet paper or paper towels. They cut up newspaper and used that, which is something people have used for hundreds of years (Shakespeare refers to a piece of bad writing in one of his plays as "only fit for bum fodder."). Just don't flush it down the toilet because it can clog the pipes.

You can use a mix of drinking alcohol and a bit of water as a hand sanitizer. Dishwater detergent also works. The real trick is the time spread scrubbing.