COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

macy

Record Breaker
I'm about to figure out a way to virtually slap my sister upside the head because she got a Covid-19 test and is waiting for the results. She wants to go out for a walk later - fine - but doesn't want to draw attention to herself by wearing a mask or gloves despite that she thinks she might be a public health risk. "I'm very smart, I'm very educated." Well, that doesn't matter if you forget that you sneezed then touch your face or something and leave germs on the elevator button only AND are infected. Like get over yourself and actually think of others here.

unfortunately "smart" and "educated" don't count for anything when your every little choice and action directly contributes to the spread of a world wide pandemic.

sworddance21

On the Ice

Ducky

On the Ice
Cuomo announced stay-at-home starting on Monday but essential services include liquor stores, restaurants/bars for take-out or delivery only, and most pressingly for many, many New Yorkers: laundromats. It's not so much sheltering in place but stopping everyone else from going into work. Outdoor non-contact activities are allowed.

For individuals 70 years old or older they should remain indoors, only go out for solitary exercise, wear masks in the company of others, don't visit households with multiple people in it, stay at least 6 feet away from others.

I guess my dad will be doing the grocery shopping from now on.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"I'm very smart, I'm very educated."

As someone who works with academics... I have learned the hard way that not only are 'smart' and 'educated' even vaguely not synonymous, but they are both, for a depressingly large number of people, antonymous with sensible'...

My workmates had a trial work from home yesterday (not compulsory as yet, no cases in our neck of the woods) though I wasn't involved (retiring next Thursday anyway....) I believe the computer systems one and all had a hissy fit and whole thing could be described as somewhere between a complete kerfuffle and a straight out shemozzle. Poor them....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Welp just got the email that someone in my work building has tested positive. Ugh! its only 14 floors, 67 cases in Denver and i am lucky enough to share a building with one.

We have been work from home all week, but still... fun times. And i don't really have anyone else to vent to.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As someone who works with academics... I have learned the hard way that not only are 'smart' and 'educated' even vaguely not synonymous, but they are both, for a depressingly large number of people, antonymous with sensible'...

My workmates had a trial work from home yesterday (not compulsory as yet, no cases in our neck of the woods) though I wasn't involved (retiring next Thursday anyway....) I believe the computer systems one and all had a hissy fit and whole thing could be described as somewhere between a complete kerfuffle and a straight out shemozzle. Poor them....

You are a very smart person.....so true.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, here is the plan. The US hires the Brits to burn down Washington DC again and then hires the Koreans to kill the pandemic.:luv17: Win win!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You are a very smart person.....so true.....

And not even slightly an exception, not even my nearest and dearest could call me sensible but compared to some bona fide geniuses I have known... oh dear (I am fond of them, though). People you don't trust to have enough sense to come in out of the rain, you certainly don't trust to get out of the way of a virus.

I'm going onto long service leave as my transition to retirement, and our area has no cases whatsoever as yet, so if they do bring in social isolation here I will have pretty much already started. I can always sort out my downloaded videos...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
do you guys think having epstein barr counts as a pre existing condition or something that could put you at higher risk?

If it affects your immune system at all, or leaves you with residual lung damage, probably.

Our county has had drive in tests at our 2 hospitals for a week and finally found a woman who tested positive. I should be glad they did not find more,I guess, given that NYC is not that far away.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it affects your immune system at all, or leaves you with residual lung damage, probably.

Our county has had drive in tests at our 2 hospitals for a week and finally found a woman who tested positive. I should be glad they did not find more,I guess, given that NYC is not that far away.

It doubles every 3 days and increases by 1024 every 30 days. So without extreme social isolation, there will be 1024 cases in your county in 30 days, and probably more, because there is almost certainly more than one case. From my link, "For every known case there are approximately 50 unknown cases. This is because if I become sick, I infect several people today, and they infect a few people each tomorrow (as do I), and the total count of infected people doubles every 3 days until I get so sick I get hospitalized or get tested and become a “known case”. But in the time it takes me to figure out I am sick 50 others downline from me now have the virus. So every third day the infection rate doubles until I get so sick that I realize I have the virus an am hospitalized or otherwise tested."

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_War...st-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It doubles every 3 days and increases by 1024 every 30 days. So without extreme social isolation, there will be 1024 cases in your county in 30 days, and probably more, because there is almost certainly more than one case. From my link, "For every known case there are approximately 50 unknown cases. This is because if I become sick, I infect several people today, and they infect a few people each tomorrow (as do I), and the total count of infected people doubles every 3 days until I get so sick I get hospitalized or get tested and become a “known case”. But in the time it takes me to figure out I am sick 50 others downline from me now have the virus. So every third day the infection rate doubles until I get so sick that I realize I have the virus an am hospitalized or otherwise tested."

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_War...st-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

Dr. Fauci said this morning that what they dont know (and I am sure this is very frustrating to him and everyone) is from T =0, and the patient first inhales the virus... one, when does the patient start to shed (T=?) and at what time which particular test will indicate a positive. (T = ??) Still, I think the Koreans are having the best luck with what they are doing....its hard to argue with success unless they have a setback....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dr. Fauci said this morning that what they dont know (and I am sure this is very frustrating to him and everyone) is from T =0, and the patient first inhales the virus... one, when does the patient start to shed (T=?) and at what time which particular test will indicate a positive. (T = ??) Still, I think the Koreans are having the best luck with what they are doing....its hard to argue with success unless they have a setback....

What are they doing? I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with other countries. It's hard enough to keep up with mine.

macy

Record Breaker
so when we say 8 weeks until it peaks, has the 8 weeks started yet? are we already a couple weeks into it? or is it 8 weeks from now?

macy

Record Breaker

i ended up messaging my doctor about it. i had mono back in late 2017-early 2018 with symptoms occurring about every 4-6 weeks for about 6 months. i tested positive for EBV back then and was tested again when i was sick in early 2019, the results being not active mono, but the virus still present. so i would assume that means i have chronic EBV. i have also noticed i get sick more easily/frequently since having mono, so i also assume i have a somewhat weakened immune system.

my doctor said there's a possibility i could be at higher risk, but unlikely since my symptoms were that long ago. but i think i'm going to start using grocery delivery services to avoid any unnecessary contact/exposure. i went yesterday, so i'll know in about 5 days if i crossed with someone who had it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
so when we say 8 weeks until it peaks, has the 8 weeks started yet? are we already a couple weeks into it? or is it 8 weeks from now?

My friendly two cents and caveat:

I do not think posts on GS (no matter how well-intentioned) should be assumed to be reliable information on the virus ... UNLESS rigorous sourcing and verbatim quotes are provided.

For me to give credence to a GS post, it would have to be along these lines: In the Associated Press article on Mar 21 at the LINK below, Dr. Fauci (or other reputable authority) said, "VERBATIM QUOTE."​

In this thread, rigorous sourcing and verbatim quotes have been lacking.

ETA (on Mar 24):

My reference to "this thread" was to the U.S. Ladies thread, where this post originated as part of a corona-related conversation stirred up by someone else.

Thanks to the mods for moving some of the posts from that conversation to this corona-focused thread.​