COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing | Page 5 | Golden Skate

COVID-19: Coping and Social Distancing

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Don't what? Being realistic, being factual...

Nope. You based your first comment on a wrong assumption and continue in a same wrong way and such conversation can't lead to anything reasonable in this particular thread. That's why I ask: don't prolong such conversation here.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I ordered a box from Imperfect Foods. Hopefully it will arrive as scheduled Friday. I ordered 3 bags of cat food from Amazon (cat food is getting to be in short supply. That scares me more than anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the title of this thread includes the word "coping", I'm going to take this opportunity to vent.

I'm not coping.

I work in a supermarket, and this is the first day off I've had in ages. We're down to half staff now, as our vulnerable are self-isolating, whatever stock comes in is gone by mid-morning (so much so that I haven't even managed to put a weeks food by for myself, my cupboards are bare and I'm living off cereal).

My boyfriend has serious mental health issues, which have been massively triggered by these events, and believes this is a global conspiracy to isolate people in front of their televisions where they can be sitting ducks for unscrupulous advertisers. I can't get through to him, and I'm overstretched. Getting him any kind of professional help is impossible, with the NHS preparing to be overwhelmed.

I honestly don't know how to keep going.

I'm so sorry this is going on. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to stay safe. That's all any of us can do.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wanna know when your state wlll be out of the woods?
Click on it and hover over parts of the curves....
https://covidactnow.org/

This can't possibly be correct. I was watching Cuomo on TV last night and he was saying that if they don't get adequate supplies of masks and respirators, next week they will be unable to save people who could have otherwise been saved. But the model here says that the shelter in place is projected to delay hospital overload by greater than 3 months.

turbov21

Spectator
I'm a remote worker, and have been for the past year or two. I keep thinking all this quarantine business should feel different but so far it's business as usual.

Ducky

On the Ice
This can't possibly be correct. I was watching Cuomo on TV last night and he was saying that if they don't get adequate supplies of masks and respirators, next week they will be unable to save people who could have otherwise been saved. But the model here says that the shelter in place is projected to delay hospital overload by greater than 3 months.

Yeah, currently NYC is expected to peak in 3 weeks... which is not good considering the Federal government only sent us an additional 400 ventilators. Apparently, there have been updated ethical guidelines released by the New England Journal of Medicine regarding the allocation of resources for COVID here in the States.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Working with animals most of our lives, my family has always been hyper aware of hygiene practices, foremost being hand washing/sanitizing ... a hand scrub brush and disinfecting hand soap pump is at every sink in the house and used religiously ... while our domestic pets are deemed safe from this virus, I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Covid virus jumped from animal to human in its initial stages. . Not sure about this as fact, but better to be safe than sorry. So, I recommend using a disinfectant hand wash with scrub brush taking care to scrub fingernails, then moisturizing after washing with a small amount of Bag Balm, which is a thick fatty paste but has emollients that protect against infection, or a vitamin rich hand cream to guard against dryness, skin breaks, open wounds. We used Phisoderm or Phisohex hand wash for years til it was taken off the market in the '70's then later reinstated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phisoderm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I live just off the Main Street of my town, am working at home, and what strikes me is how strange it is to hear NO traffic going by or sound of human activity of any kind. Just eerily quiet, maybe a bird chirping here and there!

I also agree with you, Chris, that it is better to stay off the web. Very scary.

I am like a moth to a flame. RNA from the virus was found on the Diamond Princess 17 days after the pax left...so does this mean viable viruses were found or just the RNA remnant?
The Koreans have beaten the virus...one technique they use is to track the credit cards and cell phones of those infected..and alert the cell phones of anyone close to someone who is infected. What facets of the Korean experience would be acceptable to the citizens of the US and which would not?
Chris the kid in class who always had his hand up.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Working with animals most of our lives, my family has always been hyper aware of hygiene practices, foremost being hand washing/sanitizing ... a hand scrub brush and disinfecting hand soap pump is at every sink in the house and used religiously ... while our domestic pets are deemed safe from this virus, I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Covid virus jumped from animal to human in its initial stages. . Not sure about this as fact, but better to be safe than sorry. So, I recommend using a disinfectant hand wash with scrub brush taking care to scrub fingernails, then moisturizing after washing with a small amount of Bag Balm, which is a thick fatty paste but has emollients that protect against infection, or a vitamin rich hand cream to guard against dryness, skin breaks, open wounds. We used Phisoderm or Phisohex hand wash for years til it was taken off the market in the '70's then later reinstated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phisoderm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

It is pretty much accepted by the western academic community that in SARS 2003 and SARS 2019, the bat is the original sourse and the civet (2003) and the Pandoloin(2019) were host animals.
MERS 2012, a corona virus with a high mortality rate, was thought to originate in bats and then given to camels before infecting humans.
"The origins of the virus are not fully understood but, according to the analysis of different virus genomes, it is believed that it may have originated in bats and was transmitted to camels sometime in the distant past."
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-...t-respiratory-syndrome-coronavirus-(mers-cov)

Dogs can carry very bad nasties, but I still cuddle with mine.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm a remote worker, and have been for the past year or two. I keep thinking all this quarantine business should feel different but so far it's business as usual.

Me too but I live on a ranch anyway. Wait 3 weeks.
Chris off to the store with hand sanitizer and N100 mask.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I personally believe that there is too much emphasis on hand washing which might give a false sense of security whereas our airways is what we need to protect most. As many like myself have no access to masks, it could be useful to know that putting a bit of vaseline into your nose is quite effective (not 100% but ...), cost very little and not so obstructive as a mask. I have been using this for years for a hay fever and it really works wonders and then I began to use it in the winter too as I noticed that it helped in a flu/cold season. Worth a try!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dreaded double post. . Sort of..

Listened to Bill Gates' 2015 TED talk on NPR this morning made during the EBola epidemic in which he warns that that next "war" will be a germ war and the world must be prepared to deal with a viral panemic just as it is prepared militarily. . He offers a fascinating future world view and a plan for dealing with pandemics before (ahem) they happen.. the physician on the NPR broadcast this morning said Gates' talk was spot on tho he would add we need politicians who recognize the importance of world health and are prepared to act..
Worth a listen...
https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready/up-next?language=en#t-2084

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
It is pretty much accepted by the western academic community that in SARS 2003 and SARS 2019, the bat is the original sourse and the civet (2003) and the Pandoloin(2019) were host animals.
MERS 2012, a corona virus with a high mortality rate, was thought to originate in bats and then given to camels before infecting humans.
"The origins of the virus are not fully understood but, according to the analysis of different virus genomes, it is believed that it may have originated in bats and was transmitted to camels sometime in the distant past."
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-...t-respiratory-syndrome-coronavirus-(mers-cov)

Dogs can carry very bad nasties, but I still cuddle with mine.

Me too...
Poor Bats get such a bad rap... I love them but would NEVER handle a (dead) one, or a dead bird for that matter with bare hands..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, currently NYC is expected to peak in 3 weeks... which is not good considering the Federal government only sent us an additional 400 ventilators. Apparently, there have been updated ethical guidelines released by the New England Journal of Medicine regarding the allocation of resources for COVID here in the States.

It is my hope that after this outbreak is over, Federal, state, county and INDIVIDUALs will take responsibility for preparing for the next one. MERS 2015 in Korea was a wake up call for them. They got their testing ducks, lab ducks, mask ducks and technology ducks in a row for this outbreak. We dont need to be spending trillions on professional sports figures and talking heads...we need to spend that money on doctors and medical proffesionals, hospitals, and equipment. We dont need to pay for advertising at the superbowl, we need a medical system that is not strained before the outbreak. We have met the enemy, Mr Cuomo, and he is us.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I personally believe that there is too much emphasis on hand washing which might give a false sense of security whereas our airways is what we need to protect most. As many like myself have no access to masks, it could be useful to know that putting a bit of vaseline into your nose is quite effective (not 100% but ...), cost very little and not so obstructive as a mask. I have been using this for years for a hay fever and it really works wonders and then I began to use it in the winter too as I noticed that it helped in a flu/cold season. Worth a try!

VICKS vaporub works well too..

Artemisa

Final Flight
Nope. You based your first comment on a wrong assumption and continue in a same wrong way and such conversation can't lead to anything reasonable in this particular thread. That's why I ask: don't prolong such conversation here.

No, I din't ... my first comment was complete correct .. just like my second ... correct and factual... but i won't prolong such conversation ... people wan't to be a ostrich..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The bit that microwave kills the virus was the most useful thing in it.

Buy takeout.

Heat it up in microwave.

Wash yourself.

Eat.

:( Sad that freezing does not work that well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dreaded double post. . Sort of..

Listened to Bill Gates' 2015 TED talk on NPR this morning made during the EBola epidemic in which he warns that that next "war" will be a germ war and the world must be prepared to deal with a viral panemic just as it is prepared militarily. . He offers a fascinating future world view and a plan for dealing with pandemics before (ahem) they happen.. the physician on the NPR broadcast this morning said Gates' talk was spot on tho he would add we need politicians who recognize the importance of world health and are prepared to act..
Worth a listen...
https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready/up-next?language=en#t-2084

Excellent vid. I may just have found someone to vote for for president. (I used to worry about biological weapons...the Brits used them on the US Continental army, the Japanese used them against the Chinese...and the Soviets had them ready to go to take care of any survivors after a nuclear exchange....but I fear the nature made ones the most.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The bit that microwave kills the virus was the most useful thing in it.

Buy takeout.

Heat it up in microwave.

Wash yourself.

Eat.

:( Sad that freezing does not work that well.

The news here is saying:
Bring takeout home.
Set on counter.
Wash hands
Take out a microwave bowl
carefully dump food in bowl.
Trash the bag and take out container
Wash hands
Put bowl in microwave and clean counter
Or something like that