Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually got a good amount done today. Switched car insurances, $30 less a month with a lower deductible. Now cleaning the house. Avoiding watching last years Grand Prix, it was bad enough the first time. Looking online for seeds to plant this summer. Figuring out what I would need if I were to start to make candles. Watching one of my favorite trash tv shows.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
My goal is to have my off-ice loops and flips 100% rotated by the time my rink reopens. Turns out the patterns on my kitchen floor tiles are really good for gauging how rotated a jump is. :biggrin:

Mission accomplished. :agree:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
By the end of this lockdown, I'm going to:-

1. Be 42lbs lighter.
2. Be a lot more flexible.
3. Have my accounts for last tax year and the one just begun all up to date.
4. Use up all the non-stretch fabric in my stash(es) and have a whole new wardrobe.
5. Get the dog enthusiastic about walking.
6. Collate all the #ConversationsWithSpouse that people seem to like on my social media into some kind of chronological format that isn't just on social media.
7. Replace all the broken strings on my harps and play each one.
8. Read all the books in my "To Read" pile.
9. Decide whether or not I can cope with growing out my hair so I am no longer exasperating my hairdresser by the time I can go back to him.
10. Vacuum.

Maybe...

hanyuufan5

Medalist
By the end of this lockdown, I'm going to:-

1. Be 42lbs lighter.
2. Be a lot more flexible.
3. Have my accounts for last tax year and the one just begun all up to date.
4. Use up all the non-stretch fabric in my stash(es) and have a whole new wardrobe.
5. Get the dog enthusiastic about walking.
6. Collate all the #ConversationsWithSpouse that people seem to like on my social media into some kind of chronological format that isn't just on social media.
7. Replace all the broken strings on my harps and play each one.
8. Read all the books in my "To Read" pile.
9. Decide whether or not I can cope with growing out my hair so I am no longer exasperating my hairdresser by the time I can go back to him.
10. Vacuum.

Maybe...

Best of luck with all that! :cheer:

That last one... OMG... my cats track litter everywhere, and I have to vacuum my entire house every single day if I don't want carpets that look like an explosion at a confetti factory. :bang: :laugh:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That last one... OMG... my cats track litter everywhere, and I have to vacuum my entire house every single day if I don't want carpets that look like an explosion at a confetti factory. :bang: :laugh:

Same here. If I didn't have cats I think I'd probably only need to vacuum once a week. But with them, it's daily (or every other day if I'm feeling particularly lazy).

I'm in the middle of Final Fantasy VII Remake right now so no boredom for me! To think I played the original one 23 years ago...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Read all the books in my "To Read" pile.Maybe...

Lotsa luck with that one, I counted up and my pile is about 150 and counting: and I've just taken out membership of the Stat Library of NSW, I'm not in Sydney but I get my greedy little virtual hands on their entire ebook/magazine/journal collection....

I've been watching a lot of documentaries I grabbed over the years from youtube, in particular all 200-odd episodes of the archeology one Time Team and a quirky, brilliant little food historyprogram The Supersizers (because Sue Perkins, folks). Plus British comedy panel shows (because Bob Mortimer and David Mitchell and Sandi Toksvig et al, folks)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Best of luck with all that! :cheer:

We don't have cats (at the moment, hoping that the right one will turn up as usually happens) but we do have a Tibetan Spaniel. This diminutive dog sheds more hair than our previous Bernese Mountain Dog and Deerhound put together. Without regular sweeping (or vacuuming), we have drifts of golden dog hair every day. It's probably a good thing that - since the Moussaka Incident - we have no carpet... A lot of sweeping happens, I just dread having to get out the blasted Dyson as it's the worst piece of rubbish on the planet. My original DC01 was fabulous. This more modern one, allegedly designed to cope with allergies and pet hair, is useless. <sigh>

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Will you be able to tune all those harps (and keep them in tune) before lockdown ends?

Well, I have only 4 now so provided I can get - and afford - all the replacement strings, then replacement will be no problem. Tuning takes a few minutes for each one and they stay in tune for approximately 20 minutes or until somebody opens a door... :palmf:

Actually, that's not quite true. I have very good-tempered harps (all made by Salvi) and they stay in tune very well, so longer than 20 minutes. It actually takes longer to get them in and out of the travel covers in which they live to protect them from my diminutive dog, aka Fluffy, Destroyer of Worlds, who loves to use the soundboards of the larger ones as slides and has also left tiny teeth marks in the wood of the most expensive one. Whilst he's no longer a puppy, he's still a complete git and cannot be trusted. I also feel he's not the biggest fan of harp music, as he howls at the same point every time during my warm up exercises! :laugh:

Ducky

On the Ice
I also feel he's not the biggest fan of harp music, as he howls at the same point every time during my warm up exercises! :laugh:

No, that's him singing along! I used to have a dog growing up who would howl whenever I practiced the cello. Only one who would do that. Most animals if they don't like something just go away.

Also had a cat who would jump on the piano and chirp when I was doing vocal exercises.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I'm in the middle of Final Fantasy VII Remake right now so no boredom for me! To think I played the original one 23 years ago...

LUCKYYYY, my copy hasn't arrived from Japan yet. Almost 23 years for me as well, still as crazy about Rufus Shinra as I was the first time I played. :luv17:

No, that's him singing along! I used to have a dog growing up who would howl whenever I practiced the cello. Only one who would do that. Most animals if they don't like something just go away.

Also had a cat who would jump on the piano and chirp when I was doing vocal exercises.

I have a cat who usually runs away when there's music and another who often comes to listen. The latter, who also loves to watch figure skating with me, actually has a favorite song. It's amazing how he perks up when it's playing. Even if he's asleep, he'll usually twitch an ear or something.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It'll only take up a minute or two of the time you want to fill, but hopefully this thing that I saw on my former music teacher's Facebook profile will bring a smile to your face:

Shamelessly stolen from someone else..... and if you’re in the know about G&S and can read this without singing, you’re a better man than I Gungadin.......

I am the very model of effective social distancing!
I listen to the experts on the topic of resistance-ing;
I know that brunch and yoga class aren’t nearly as imperative
As doing what I can to change the nation’s viral narrative.

I’m very well acquainted, too, with living solitarily
And confident that everyone can do it temporarily:
Go take a walk, or ride a bike, or dig into an unread book;
Avoid the bars and restaurants and carry out, or learn to cook.

There’s lots of stuff to watch online while keeping safe from sinus ills
(In this case, it’s far better to enjoy your Netflix MINUS chills)!
Adopt a pet, compose a ballad, write some earnest doggerel,
And help get out the vote before our next event inaugural.

Pandemics are alarming, but they aren’t insurmountable
If everybody pitches in to hold ourselves accountable.
In short, please do your part to practice prudent co-existence-ing,
And be the very model of effective social distancing!

And, yes, I was singing along. It's impossible not to! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Oh just BRAVO. That made my morning, which has been a very stressful one so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I'm so desperate for in-person interaction that I've taken to performing my favorite songs for the backyard wildlife. :rock: So far, a mourning dove couple and a house finch couple have legit sat on branches and just watched me as if they were on a date at a concert (not species I'd have expected to enjoy metal/hard rock!). I think it's actually pretty good musicality training for when I eventually start competing. I know that and the extended "conversations" I've been having with the critters have hugely increased my already substantial number of woodland buddies. Even the grackles, who usually fly away if I get too close to the window, are starting to like me. :)

I've also been doing strength and balance training and have hugely increased my spiral height.

Next off-ice training goal: 3+ revolutions of a backspin on my Edea spinner!

Also, I got my copy of FF7. The only other games I've played in the past decade are Kingdom Hearts games with Japanese controls (o=select/x=cancel). FF7's controls are very, very different, and I am not having an easy time getting used to them. :eek:: Also trying to focus on "yay, previously undiscovered eye candy" and not "when the heck did I get old enough to find Barret hot?" :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I've been watching a lot of documentaries I grabbed over the years from youtube, in particular all 200-odd episodes of the archeology one Time Team

I LOVED "Time Team". It was the reason I decided to study archaeology at Uni. Unfortunately, my dreams of pursuing a career as an archaeologist haven't worked out. The credit crunch hit the year I finished my Master's degree, and pretty much wiped out the archaeology sector in Ireland. And it still hadn't got anywhere near recovering by the time COVID-19 came along.

Anyway, did you manage to come across "Time Signs"? A few years before "Time Team" started, Tim Taylor and Mick Aston tested the water (pun intended) with this series of half-hour programmes (26 minutes now the adverts have been removed). Like "Time Team", it was made by Tim's production company, Videotext Communications, and broadcast on Channel 4.

The series was about the excavation of a valley in Devon in advance of it being flooded to become a reservoir. Each of the 4 episodes was about a different time frame in the valley's history. And it was extremely interesting. And sad.

There were a few people that went on to become familiar faces on "Time Team". As well as leading the excavation (like he did on "Time Team"), Mick was also the presenter of "Time Signs". A role he did very well, I have to say. Tim was in his usual off-screen role of producer. And although he wasn't digging, Phil Harding appeared in the final 2 episodes. You guessed it, one of those times he was demonstrating flint knapping! I know it was only 3 or 4 years before "Time Team" started, but they both looked so different. Mick's hair was only starting to turn grey at this stage... and he wasn't wearing his famous stripey jumpers! :shocked: And Phil looked so young!

I only found out about "Time Signs" by chance a couple of weeks ago. In the UK, it is available on the internet version of Channel 4's on demand service. But, a couple of people have very kindly uploaded all 4 episodes to YouTube (and one of them has also uploaded what looks like all the "Time Team" episodes!). I won't post any links in case they get taken down, but the videos are well labelled so are easy to find.

Boys, but I wish "Time Team" would come back. But, I can understand why Channel 4 axed it. It may have been very popular, but it was a very expensive programme to make. And I can't see it coming back to Channel 4 any time soon because, since the lockdown began, Channel 4 has been struggling just to survive, due to a severe lack of advertisers.

Oh well, at least we still have the BBC's "Digging For Britain" to feed our archaeological needs. And, because it is cheap to make due to the archaeologists filming it themselves, I can't see it getting axed as part of any future cutbacks.

CaroLiza_fan

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
BBC documentaries on technology, nature, art, history, society, are a gods end under the current circumstances. So much better than the cheap, shallow and sensationalist 'docu-dramas' on Discorvery and the other commercial channels.

oldsk8er

Rinkside
Spring cleaning of house and yard accomplished. Getting pool ready to open next and I have playing Tenor Sax on back deck---- not sure if the neighbors appreciate that. LOL!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If you live in the US, play every night at 7 pm and tell your neighbors it's in honor of all the people who have been working to keep things going. Who would be so mean-spirited to argue with that? Of course if it's a neighbor you really dislike just tell them, "Yes, I'm doing it specifically to annoy you. I've waited years for this opportunity and I'm taking it!" And if things go really well, they won't be your neighbor for long after that!

;)

oldsk8er

Rinkside
I will do that when I'm not working.
I work at the local hospital and have been filling in whenever they need an extra body.
Hopefully surgeries will be able to resume shortly--that is my regular department.