Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I did amazingly well with that list!

Okay, that was a big, fat, juicy fib.

1. I'm about the same, maybe a bit heavier.
2. Possibly less flexible.
3. Er, no, but I am keeping an up to date spreadsheet of this tax year's earnings.
4. Much, much less fabric, but mostly used for masks! All that worry about to how earn my living while the rinks and dance studios are shut proved unfounded, as I've not worked such long hours in years (12 hour days) so we haven't starved (see 1 above.) I now also have the money for a new coverstitch machine (oh, the fun I'm going to have with new legging designs!) and my coaching stuff. I did manage to make 3 new summer dresses for myself so then, obviously, the weather turned cold and wet and I'm now wearing my winter gear again...
5. The dog still likes to be carried and only walks when he wants to. Which isn't when it's raining.
6. I've collated some of the #ConversationsWithSpouse, hopefully enough to keep the publisher from nagging too much.
7. The harps haven't even been uncovered, much less played. The big ones are still strangely shaped coat racks.
8. Nope. I started one book. It's still unfinished.
9. I'm growing it. Sorted. (I look like a grumpy Shetland pony but that's normal for me.)
10. I did this. Twice. Nobody's visiting so nobody will know. (Also a bit of a fib, as I use a broom most of the time rather than the useless vacuum cleaner!)

Life in Darkest Cornwall is still quiet, although there is now a lot more traffic as many people are returning to work or driving to the pretty places to "exercise" and walk their dogs. I'm not because I took my car off the road at the end of March and it's still untaxed and insured. I work from a studio in my garden, so the commute is literally a few metres from the front door of the cottage.

Rinks in the UK are possibly starting to open from 6th July (Planet Ice) but there's absolutely no word from my "local" rink (Plymouth) as to when - or if - it will reopen. Coaches have heard nothing, which is not helpful. When we do get notification of a reopening date (please, please, please let it reopen!), I shall immediately set my alarm for 6am and do 2 hours of off-ice and flexibility training before breakfast every day. Breakfast will not be chocolate. Neither will dinner...

Sounds like my life.. but you say it so much better... :agree2: especially carrying the dog...:rolleye:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've started watching the artistic roller-skating world championships while waiting, waiting, waiting....

Help!

Ducky

On the Ice
As I'm not going back to the office until after Labor Day -- maybe, unless Gov Cuomo grounds us all again (also, lol at the idea that the NYPD is going to bother writing summons for open container laws right now) -- I've decided to color my hair rose gold, and it looks fantastic.

Flutzel

Rinkside
The other sports I follow are e-sports, so the League of Legends and Overwatch seasons are going on as planned and that's what I've been watching a lot. But not having any arena events and people casting from often somewhat dodgy mics/connections in their living rooms can take a bit of the hype out of it. Still, I'm happy they're at least happening! Too bad FS judges probably can't judge individual skaters skating on their own rinks over Zoom and call that a competition. :biggrin: Much easier to decide the outcome of a match when it's taking place in a game, which can register everything that is happening by itself. I miss figure skating, though. :cry:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Our county is in the "yellow" zone. Hoping that our governor will stop dragging his feet & allow gyms & hair salons to open already, with the necessary precautions, of course. I miss swimming 3-4 times a week. To make up for that, I walk around the neighborhood for about 45 minutes every day.

My perm has been rescheduled 4 times @ this point - 4/29, 5/15, 6/8, & now 7/2. May the 4th time be the charm. My last haircut was in early March. I don't want to take any chances cutting it myself because I'd probably screw it up big time. I'll leave that to the professionals. Thank goodness for hairbands & bobby pins!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Our county is in the "yellow" zone. Hoping that our governor will stop dragging his feet & allow gyms & hair salons to open already, with the necessary precautions, of course. I miss swimming 3-4 times a week. To make up for that, I walk around the neighborhood for about 45 minutes every day.

My perm has been rescheduled 4 times @ this point - 4/29, 5/15, 6/8, & now 7/2. May the 4th time be the charm. My last haircut was in early March. I don't want to take any chances cutting it myself because I'd probably screw it up big time. I'll leave that to the professionals. Thank goodness for hairbands & bobby pins!

Finally had mine cut this afternoon.... I feel brand new!!!! Different hairdresser.. she did a wonderful job but could have hacked it and I'd still love it!!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I GOT MY 3 BACKSPIN REVS (off ice)! :cheer: Next goal: Biellmann position!!

I've been cutting my own hair since I was a teenager, so no problem there, but I MISS SKATING AND IN-PERSON WORK. :cry: :cry: :cry: On the bright side, nail salons open very soon.

...I might or might not have been using the fact that I'm a scientist to justify having the same acrylic nails since March 1st, plus the addition of copious amounts of cyanoacrylate glue, so, like, it's just more acrylic, just a different kind... :slink: My boss and coworkers would find it amusing (and utterly unsurprising), but the nail artists definitely would not, so I shall have to remove every trace before my next appointment! :laugh:

Ducky

On the Ice
who is still on lockdown?

NYC for the most part still, although we're supposed to enter phase 2 (more things can open up including salons but only for certain services, restaurants and bars can have outdoor seating) but it seems that Gov Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio are doing their "measuring contest" again with them going back and forth as to whether the City will open further up on Monday or not, and I do not put it past the governor to push back the start now that DeBlasio has said that it is 100% a go.

Those two need to either kiss or fight each other and just be done with it already.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
NYC for the most part still, although we're supposed to enter phase 2 (more things can open up including salons but only for certain services, restaurants and bars can have outdoor seating) but it seems that Gov Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio are doing their "measuring contest" again with them going back and forth as to whether the City will open further up on Monday or not, and I do not put it past the governor to push back the start now that DeBlasio has said that it is 100% a go.

Those two need to either kiss or fight each other and just be done with it already.

As the daughter of two New Yorkers, this whole post made my day. :laugh: I read it to my mom, and she said of you sound like someone in our family. :biggrin:

ccjump

Spectator
Anyone want to share a few ideas for fun things that you either plan on doing or have done with all the extra time spent at home now that basically everyone is being told to stay home. I need some ideas.

Today I started writing a song on guitar and even started writing a short story.
I started doing workout at home since March since No skating :(( I started following a Youtube channel that makes very innovative videos for figure skating. They even edit the figure skaters' training into 10 mins workout you can do at home (Pamela Reif and Chloe Ting kinda videos).
Here's the warm-up: https://youtu.be/IKYFqd0Xw7A
Here's the Abs workout: https://youtu.be/xnVNF-XfDno

Most of the videos featured Yuzu, Zhenya, Nathan, Shoma, the Russian angels and more.. Quite fun!! Worth trying :))