Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom) | Golden Skate

Things to Do (Quarantine Boredom)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone want to share a few ideas for fun things that you either plan on doing or have done with all the extra time spent at home now that basically everyone is being told to stay home. I need some ideas.

Today I started writing a song on guitar and even started writing a short story.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Besides work and watching skating, I've been doing a lot of off-ice training, drawing, playing video games, window shopping on Mercari and Etsy, and looking up summer hairstyles and makeup and such.

My goal is to have my off-ice loops and flips 100% rotated by the time my rink reopens. Turns out the patterns on my kitchen floor tiles are really good for gauging how rotated a jump is. :biggrin:

Most of my hobbies are solitary, so I don't think I'll be bored. My main problems are that I can't work or skate and hate being indoors too long. It's really true what they say about never working a day in your life if you love your job. :cry:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I've been staying at home for about a full month now, and while I seldom actually go out of the house (or my room, to be honest) in normal times, the things I have done so far are

- Binge watching Chinese dramas
- Reading the 100 most beloved Korean poets books stacked in the corner of the bookshelf
- Reading/listening to audiobooks a lot in general
- Binge listening to podcasts
- Playing an increasing number of cat collecting games on my phone (up to 4 now)
- Playing a bucketload of trivia quizzes on the internet
- Adding courses on my Duolingo (Polish, Czech, and now the most recent addition of Arabic)
- Planning new stories/refining existing story ideas
- Failing to actually write those ideas
- Jumping down rabbit holes on Wikipedia
- Some school stuff (did not imagine going back to college would be wrecked this way)
- Being the food-taster for maman's gourmet dishes and baking results (her way of spending time)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Missing swimming 3-4/week @ the gym, so I'm making sure to walk briskly around the neighborhood on each day that is relatively mild.

Catching up on reading/Netflix movies.

Keeping up with friends/family online.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It'll only take up a minute or two of the time you want to fill, but hopefully this thing that I saw on my former music teacher's Facebook profile will bring a smile to your face:

Shamelessly stolen from someone else..... and if you’re in the know about G&S and can read this without singing, you’re a better man than I Gungadin.......

I am the very model of effective social distancing!
I listen to the experts on the topic of resistance-ing;
I know that brunch and yoga class aren’t nearly as imperative
As doing what I can to change the nation’s viral narrative.

I’m very well acquainted, too, with living solitarily
And confident that everyone can do it temporarily:
Go take a walk, or ride a bike, or dig into an unread book;
Avoid the bars and restaurants and carry out, or learn to cook.

There’s lots of stuff to watch online while keeping safe from sinus ills
(In this case, it’s far better to enjoy your Netflix MINUS chills)!
Adopt a pet, compose a ballad, write some earnest doggerel,
And help get out the vote before our next event inaugural.

Pandemics are alarming, but they aren’t insurmountable
If everybody pitches in to hold ourselves accountable.
In short, please do your part to practice prudent co-existence-ing,
And be the very model of effective social distancing!

And, yes, I was singing along. It's impossible not to! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
--Getting out my Japanese textbook and starting over again. (I dropped the class)
--Organizing my income tax records for last year and this year.
--Updating my computer address book and deleting lots of old addresses and other old files.
--Playing the piano.
--Coloring with my new gel pens.
--Binge watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Foyle's War.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
1. Follow the example set by Shoma Uno (second set of 4 images)
:biggrin:
Plus ... I have been trying to learn the Russian language for years, accumulating bits and pieces of knowledge at my own pace, however not accomplishing a whole lot. I will try to concentrate more and try harder.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Massive housecleaning project i.e. throwing crap away (donating anything remotely useful) and trying to gets all my papers organized.

Also.. Civilization VI and Pokemon Go from home (yes they have made it possible). Reading some books on my to be read pile and watching season 2 of Altered Carbon and waiting for Miss Fisher and the Veil of Tears to debute on Acorn. Love me some Miss Fisher!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Off ice (aka finally doing strength training)
Crocheting
Looking up random things on wikipedia...
Organizing things, spring cleaning
Texting friends

I'm an introvert and currently still working (I am a physical therapist) but we'll see what happens. Either way when at home I am trying to stay busy.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those who are planning on watching loads of stuff online, this story may be of interest:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/coronavirus-swiss-contemplate.html

Apparently Switzerland is thinking of restricting access to Netflix and other streaming sites, because the internet system is struggling to cope with the demands being put on it by everybody being at home.

That'll teach them for switching off terrestrial TV! And I hope it serves as a lesson to other countries that are thinking of doing the same.

CaroLiza_fan

Nachi

On the Ice
I'm quite occupied with gaming ^^. Actually I should be occupied by packing my stuff because I have to move into a new flat in early April. I need to clean my current flat, do the laundry...and I also wanted to pick up Korean again. There is SO much to do and because spring's right at the door and my hayfever tells me not to go out during day time...I am happy to stay indoors ^^°.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those who are planning on watching loads of stuff online, this story may be of interest:

Apparently Switzerland is thinking of restricting access to Netflix and other streaming sites, because the internet system is struggling to cope with the demands being put on it by everybody being at home.

That'll teach them for switching off terrestrial TV! And I hope it serves as a lesson to other countries that are thinking of doing the same.

CaroLiza_fan

Just as a follow up to my post from this morning:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/netflix-cuts-video-bitrates-to-ease.html

Netflix are reducing the bitrates of their videos to ease the pressure they are putting on the internet. It'll be interesting to see if other video providers do the same.

Schools in the UK are closing tomorrow. So, in anticipation of the internet slowing down due to so many extra people using the internet from their homes, I am making sure that I have everything that has to be watched online finished before closing time tomorrow afternoon.

This morning, I watched the last 2 things that I had left to watch on the Eurosport Player. And this afternoon, I got back to Junior Worlds. I only had the Men's FS and the Gala left to watch. By tea-time, I had got as far as the resurfacing in the Men's FS. So, the plan is to watch the rest of the Men and the Gala tomorrow morning.

CaroLiza_fan

Ducky

On the Ice
-Forgetting to journal! (argh!)
-Walking around the park
-Attempting to finally finish the unabridged version of The Origins of Totalitarianism , only 120 more pages to go.
-Maybe read and finish (ha) one of the many books I've bought on the Russian Revolution, WWI, or international relationships
-Write more fiction
-Edit the two short stories I finished earlier this year
-Not killing my roommate for facetiming or google chatting her friends without headphones in the living room whilst I'm telecommuting from there as well.
-Off-ice/stretching/strength training
-Baking
-Taking another walk
-Watching everything I can on the Criterion Channel because of course I would
-Finally starting that film critique blog
-Playing way too many video games

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I have a few books out from the library that I'm finally getting around to reading now, in between video games, YouTube and watching movies and TV. Yesterday I made an Excel spreadsheet of every video game I own, partially as procrastination on reviewing Japanese and partially to remind myself not to buy more games online (unless they're super cheap, I'm only human :laugh:). Actually reviewing my Japanese notes and textbook (I had class remotely yesterday during which my teacher pointed out the Genki vocabulary app is free right now so I got that too) + kanji flashcards. Writing, but I usually do that.

I'm thinking I might want to clean up my computer a little bit too, both in the sense of literally turning it off to wipe it down and going through my downloads and folders to delete stuff like old school schedules and e-tickets for movies I went to years ago.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yesterday I made an Excel spreadsheet of every video game I own, partially as procrastination on reviewing Japanese and partially to remind myself not to buy more games online (unless they're super cheap, I'm only human :laugh:).

I've been doing the same. No more buying new games unless they are dirt cheap! I bought Animal Crossing today so that'll be the last one for awhile.

Well, I'll still buy Persona 5 Royal in a couple weeks. And Final Fantasy VII Remake a couple weeks after that... but then no more new games!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been working from home some. They’ve gone to where they run my hours instead of me keeping up with my own. That makes me nervous because if I make too much in a month I lose my whole SSDI check for that month. So they told me to begin with if I was going over to go WAY over.

Tomorrow I’m taking my BIL to Springfield to deliver some sort of musical equivalent he sold. I can’t turn down $100 but I’m not getting out and I’m bringing my own snacks and drinks.

I’d love to start working on my candle business or hobby or whatever it is going to be but I still lack a few things.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Missing swimming 3-4/week @ the gym, so I'm making sure to walk briskly around the neighborhood on each day that is relatively mild.

Catching up on reading/Netflix movies.

Keeping up with friends/family online.

I miss swimming too and am certain Senior Olympics over Memorial Day weekend will be cancelled. My favorite stroke is the butterfly- what is yours?

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
- cooking
- baking
- ignoring the scale :biggrin:
- guilty workout for too much baking and cooking
- reading
- ignoring chores
- binge watching tv shows
- ignoring chores
- video chat with friends
- ignoring chores
- window shopping on internet
- did i mention ignoring chores? :biggrin:

Manitou

Medalist
- Scanning all old negatives. It's still a lot of them and I need to sort them and pass to my kids and grandkids before I am gone.
- Attending online masses. Never thought an online church would be an option, but it's actually cool.
- Watching Russian Ice Period Kids shows on Youtube.
- Following skaters, other athletes and artists on Instagram.
- Unfollowing skaters, athletes and artists who take advantage of the crisis to make woke social statements.
- Worrying about the Sodom we all live in.
- Trying to catch up with assignments when working from home. At least I don't spend money on gas and waste hours in traffic. Why didn't the company think of it before the crisis?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan

Ugh.