Bunions and Boots? | Golden Skate

Bunions and Boots?

Penny

On the Ice
I would like to get back into figure skating, but need boots. I have a wide foot, narrow heel, plus bunions, which make my foot even wider. Is custom fit (expensive) the only option? Thanks, Penny.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would like to get back into figure skating, but need boots. I have a wide foot, narrow heel, plus bunions, which make my foot even wider. Is custom fit (expensive) the only option? Thanks, Penny.

Look into Jackson's for that kind of foot. You need to state what your level is so we can suggest proper boots to look at.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Depending on your weight and height, you could get away with a Jackson freestyle (if you are on the lighter end weight-wise), if not your next best for Jackson is going to be the debut fusion or the premiere fusion. Please be aware that with the latter two boots you would need to get a separate blade because they aren't a set.

Please find a reputable pro figure skating fitter (and no not just a pro shop in a rink because many of them don't know what they're doing), have them give you a proper fitting (they will measure and trace your feet to see the size and shape of them, etc).

Then they can suggest boots as well. If stock boots don't end up working for your foot you would need semi-custom boots.

Good luck!

oldsk8er

Rinkside
Depending on your weight and height, you could get away with a Jackson freestyle (if you are on the lighter end weight-wise), if not your next best for Jackson is going to be the debut fusion or the premiere fusion. Please be aware that with the latter two boots you would need to get a separate blade because they aren't a set.

Please find a reputable pro figure skating fitter (and no not just a pro shop in a rink because many of them don't know what they're doing), have them give you a proper fitting (they will measure and trace your feet to see the size and shape of them, etc).

Then they can suggest boots as well. If stock boots don't end up working for your foot you would need semi-custom boots.

Good luck!

LOL! If the boot fits, I know someone who has Freestyles- very lighty used....Sorry if you can't post this here, I just couldn't resist. LOL!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I second Jackson's. I have bunions on both the big and small toe which would hurt a lot in my old Reidell skates. I had to wear gel pads and they still would hurt after a while. I have never had any bunion pain from my Jackson's and have never needed to wear any extra padding.

Good luck!

Annie122

Rinkside
Definitely go and get fitted. Figure skate sizes do not coordinate with shoe size and every manufacture sizes a little differently. Your figure skate size is *typically* smaller than your shoes size. A 6 tennis shoe is not a 6 in every brand of figure skates!

oldsk8er

Rinkside
Definitely go and get fitted. Figure skate sizes do not coordinate with shoe size and every manufacture sizes a little differently. Your figure skate size is *typically* smaller than your shoes size. A 6 tennis shoe is not a 6 in every brand of figure skates!

My shoe size changes with different shoes/brands... I wear anything from 7-8
Definitely get fitted.
Also the Jackson Freestyle's I have , like I said are three yrs old. Like new, I bet I have only skated in them 15 hours and not hard skating either.
They just are not the right boot for me,and have been a pain in the "ice" for me.
With that said, I'm sure Jackson has "updated/redesigned" the Freestyle from what mine are?
You can PM me if the "boot" fits and if you are interested.

theblade

On the Ice
Chiming in to add another vote for customized Jackson skates - and yes to locating a proper fitter!