Record Breaker
Country
United-States
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Westworld

Genre: Western, Science Fiction

First aired: 2016-10-02

Creator: Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy

Cast: Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Tessa Thompson, Ed Harris, Aaron Paul, Vincent Cassel

Overview: A dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, it explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello all :cool14:

Westworld is a show on HBO that explores the nature of a reality that brings people face to face with unrecognizable AI technology. Robots (called hosts) that look and act like real people are set in a fictional Western Themed park in the not so distant future. Humans can interact with them however they see fit and it isn’t usually in very nice ways or in rather adult ways. The people tend to explore some of their most primal and evil impulses at the expense of the hosts who are rebuilt, rebooted, and then relaunched back into the park when they die. I’ll do my best not to spoil the show in this post but I’d love to discuss any thoughts people may have on it. I’ve watched Season 1 and 2 several times and already watched the Season 3 debut from last night several times. I’m caught up!

I’m interested in the multiple time lines and how you can watch a season all the way through and then see it almost completely differently after the season ends and you rewatch it again. I’m also very interested in the concept of AI technology having memories and seeing how the host developers at the park try to understand and connect those memories (which are supposed to be wiped) to other actions the hosts take. The hosts have scripts and stories built into them but also have improve features.

Anthony Hopkins is in the show and not only is he one of my favorite actors he puts on an amazing performance and fits the narrative well. He’s such a big part of the show as one of the creators of the park and developer of its AI.

Disclaimer: This show is filled with fairly graphic sexual content at times and the robots are often brutalized violently as the human guests tend to do horrific things to them. In spite of the mature content I do find some very deep and meaningful narratives relating to AI technology and the concept of questioning what defines consciousness.

Manitou

Medalist
I understand we are talking about season 3.
After Denery's madness in the name of world justice now we have Dolores's madness in the name of avenging women abuse.
Will be probably the same story line: revenge, revolution and bringing justice -> enforcing "justice" -> madness and genocide -> death.
Nevertheless, very entertaining.
And to be honest - watching that decadent technological futuristic world I want the robots to slaughter it.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was brilliant in the first few seasons when the hosts would say....

“It doesn’t look like anything to me”

...in response to anything that may make them question the nature of their reality. I can’t imagine we’ll see it in season 3.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The season 3 started last Sunday...

I know and as I’ve already stated in the OP .... I’ve seen episode 1 of Season 3 several times ;)

What I meant by my latest post was that in season 3 we probably won’t see much of the hosts in the park within their Westworld loops much and with their original safeguards in place. We know Maeve is about to escape now that Bernard is on his way back to grab her to help fight Dolores but I doubt we’ll have a “it doesn’t look like anything to me” moment from her. . I think Maeve is too woke at her core for that but who knows. Maybe they were able to disrupt and remove the code that Ford programmed into her that originally set her free and on her path to “consciousness” but I suspect she is going to be ready to leave the moment Bernard comes back and finds her with little hesitation.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a hard time following the first episode.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a hard time following the first episode.

Which season?

From my experience the first and even second episodes of each season tend to present a lot of questions that get answered if you watch more episodes. I guess it means likely rewatching it after the season concludes to make sense of it and find the clues you may have missed.

Some people don’t like shows that unfold like this but I’m all about it. I’m extremely fascinated though with the topic of AI technology and the role it plays today and in the future especially it’s relation/integration into human culture and society.

Anything in particular that you may have been hard to follow?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for not being more clear. I do like the show. I had to watch Seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety twice. I’m afraid Season 3, Episode 1 has me going ...wtf? I’ll probably have to watch the extras and then watch the whole thing again.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was confused as to whether the wife of Dolores’s first victim was a robot or not.

The girl that I watched Season 3 with was convinced when she told the man “ you should have kept it in the park” that it meant this wife was a robot. I sort of wondered though if she just meant his violent nature should have been left in Westworld as it appears he is very aggressive to his wife on the outside.

I enjoyed season 3 episode 1 better on second watch. I’ve watched it three times though :slink:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the only thing I have the patience to watch 3x is a Gracie Gold video.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I enjoyed season 3 episode 1 better on second watch. I’ve watched it three times though :slink:

Maybe I'll need to watch these latest episodes again myself because things are getting super confusing. Doesn't help that there was such a long hiatus in between season 2 and 3.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe I'll need to watch these latest episodes again myself because things are getting super confusing. Doesn't help that there was such a long hiatus in between season 2 and 3.

I know. That stunk. I had to rewatch season 2. Speaking of rewatching...GOT sounds good.

Manitou

Medalist
Can Thandie Newton put some clothes on? That's enough for a 50 years old woman to walk around fully naked.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database