Chris Reed has passed away | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chris Reed has passed away

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What horrible news to wake up to. So, so sad, heartbreaking for his family. So young! RIP Chris Reed.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Absolutely heartbreaking and FAR too young to die. I hope that his family and friends are able to find comfort during this unthinkable time.

Rest in peace, Chris :pray:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm stunned. Chris and Kana were one of my favorite teams and I truly believe he had so much more to give to ice dance in Japan. I can't imagine how hard this must be on the Reed family and those close to Chris, and my thoughts and best wishes are with all of them.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Apparently the cause was a sudden heart attack, so just like Sergei Grinkov.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/athlete/chris-reed/

:cry:

This seriously makes me wonder if they passed away from complications of the virus. It can definitely cause heart damage and many young people experience organ failure, it just seems too strange for two world class athletes to die of sudden heart failure within weeks of one another.

Spot

On the Ice
Very sad!! Condolences to his family and loved ones. Wishing them strength and solace.

Spot

On the Ice
This seriously makes me wonder if they passed away from complications of the virus. It can definitely cause heart damage and many young people experience organ failure, it just seems too strange for two world class athletes to die of sudden heart failure within weeks of one another.

There have sadly been numerous cases of sudden cardiac arrest in athletes over the years, in football (soccer) and in swimming for example. So while still rare, it is not unheard of unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_cardiac_death_of_athletes

TrishaG

Rinkside

Sergei Grinkov died in 1995, and heart disease ran in his family. His father had also died young from a sudden heart attack. Or did you mean someone else? I hadn't heard of another athlete dying recently from a hear attack, but maybe I missed the news.

There is a heart condition seen in some athletes that can lead to sudden heart attacks. That's probably more likely than coronavirus, especially since Michigan was one of the later states to develop cases. It's horribly sad, no matter the cause. I always enjoyed watching Chris skate, and would have liked to see him coach.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad to hear this today. RIP Chris Reed and condolences to his family and friends.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Tragic news. My condolences to Chris’ Family and friends. Rest In Peace Chris you will not be forgotten by your fans, the skating community and those who knew and loved you. :(

madraykin

Rinkside
Sergei Grinkov died in 1995, and heart disease ran in his family. His father had also died young from a sudden heart attack. Or did you mean someone else? I hadn't heard of another athlete dying recently from a hear attack, but maybe I missed the news.

There is a heart condition seen in some athletes that can lead to sudden heart attacks. That's probably more likely than coronavirus, especially since Michigan was one of the later states to develop cases. It's horribly sad, no matter the cause. I always enjoyed watching Chris skate, and would have liked to see him coach.

A Ukrainian skater died in China a few weeks ago, also of cardiac arrest. ETA: link to the thread about it here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ian-figure-skater-Mykola-Bondar-dies-in-China

ISU have posted Chris and Kana's 2018 FCC Free Dance on their Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuzZInPAIgA

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I don't even know what to say. This is incredibly devastating. Chris was so well liked by the skating community. On social media so many of those close to him are mourning the way too soon loss of this kindhearted person, who was able to lift the spirits of those he was surrounded by. My heart goes out to his loved ones and everyone, who is grieving.

Chris, you will be remembered. Thank you for everything. For how passionate you were about developing ice dancing in Japan and for the joy you brought people with your own skating.

onyxrose81

Rinkside
I'm just in shock. This is heartbreaking. I'm devastated for his poor family and his friends. May he rest in peace.

Throw 2020 away.

LauraV

On the Ice
I am so terribly sorry to hear this.

My sincere condolences to his family, friends and loved ones. Chris was a gentleman and he will be very much missed.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
So sad and shocking at the same time. Thanks for Chris' passion/contribution to the sport, and my condolences to his family.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Kerstin's tribute:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B909M01piOC/

Scrolling through looking at the photos of them together, it is clear just how madly in love they were with each other. And I for one always dreamt that one day we would see them as partners on the ice, as well as off. But alas...

CaroLiza_fan

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Chris’s last blog posted on 11th March in Japanese;

https://ameblo.jp/reed-icedance-blog/

”Hi, long time no see.

I have been preparing to move in Japan since I came back Michigan in January.
Last week, I send stuffs in my apartment, and lots of exercise goods to Japan.

From now on, Cathy and I are starting new & tough journey to take Japanese Ice dace to new age.
I am looking forward it.

However, (the outbreak of) corona-virus has delayed my trip to Japan,
I hope it will end soon.

Take care, everybody!"

Excuse my bad translation. I just wanted to let you know how he was excited about starting new career.
He and Cathy just started "Kinoshita Academy Ice Dance School" for young skaters in Jan.:sad21:.

I am still in a deep shock and feeling sorry for his family.

Edit: It's not clear in his blog, but I don't think he's got coronavirus. It sounds he had some trouble in his trip, thanks to the outbreak.

Just read the blog entry. I'm crying over my computer. I didn't realise he could write Japanese (I know it was a second language for him and he had to study it). Such a huge loss.