Chris Reed has passed away | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Chris Reed has passed away

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As if there weas not enough with bad news....

RIP Chris. My condolences to the family and Kerstin Frank :sad21:

peepsquick

Final Flight
This is very sad news indeed!
My heartfelt sympathies to all his friends and fans here on the Forum!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've always said that some of the most interesting talent can be found in the lower tiers of competitors. Chris Reed is a shining example of that point of view. I was so thrilled when he and Muramoto really began to gel in their final season together. Finally! I thought, a team that will really put Japanese ice dance on the map and spark real interest in the discipline for other Japanese dance teams. And so he did. No mean accomplishment that. Shocking and disheartening. My deepest sympathy to his family and loved ones.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kept thinking of Chris today. so young and talented and how he has four pages so far dedicated to him He honestly was not that appreciated when he was skating. We need to encourage our loved ones and people when they are alive. People hug and give your love ones the respect and appreciation and love when they are alive before it is too late. Every life is and should be treasured - olympic and world title or not. In death Chris may have reached the highest spot on the podium. My heart goes out to his family and friends.. Hopefully the l ives he has touched will be inspired onwards and upwards.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
This is heartbreaking news...it was unexpected and he was so young. :sad21: Can't imagine how his family and friends are feeling. I've always read nothing but good things about him. Both he and his loved ones should be so proud of what he has done to represent his country and Japanese ice dancing. Rest in peace Chris, you've worked hard.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just read the blog entry. I'm crying over my computer. I didn't realise he could write Japanese (I know it was a second language for him and he had to study it). Such a huge loss.

Just heard about this....:palmf: There are no words for this sadness...When I first saw them, I thought, "How nice! Now we have Japanese Ice dancers! Way cool.... !!! Now I am afraid to check up on Maia Shibutani....please isolate yourself.
So much sadness in the world right now.....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just heard about this....:palmf: There are no words for this sadness...When I first saw them, I thought, "How nice! Now we have Japanese Ice dancers! Way cool.... !!! Now I am afraid to check up on Maia Shibutani....please isolate yourself.
So much sadness in the world right now.....

Why are you afraid? Maia is ok.

Chris passed away from sudden cardiac arrest, not COVID-19.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Everyone, you have to watch the Kinoshita Ice Dance Academy video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgXdPg6F6c
Even though it's in Japanese, you will still enjoy it - though it might make you cry. The kids are adorable. So much promise! I don't know who will take Chris's place, but I know his work will continue. RIP Chris :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Everyone, you have to watch the Kinoshita Ice Dance Academy video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgXdPg6F6c
Even though it's in Japanese, you will still enjoy it - though it might make you cry. The kids are adorable. So much promise! I don't know who will take Chris's place, but I know his work will continue. RIP Chris :thank:

Not just the kids - the whole video was adorable.

Thank you for finding it.

Chris was such a natural with the kids. They had a great relationship. And after seeing this, you know that he would have made a great coach.

I feel so sorry for whoever it was that had to break the news to them. It would have broken their little hearts.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why are you afraid? Maia is ok.

Chris passed away from sudden cardiac arrest, not COVID-19.

Maia recently had cancer surgery, and presumably had treatment that left her with a suppressed immune system. If so, she is one of those at risk from COVID- 19.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maia recently had cancer surgery, and presumably had treatment that left her with a suppressed immune system. If so, she is one of those at risk from COVID- 19.

I'm aware of that, but that wasn't really the point being made. From the information she gave us, there is no indication that she is immunocompromised.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This is so heartbreaking. I don't know how the people who love him feel, but I know what it's like to lose a sibling. My heart hurts so much for them. Sending all my love to his family.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

The main cancer treatment that causes a suppressed immune system is chemotherapy. Many, many cancers are treated with surgery and/or radiation, which have a much smaller and shorter-lasting effect. From the information that Maia released publicly, I doubt if her treatments caused a seriously suppressed immune system.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Not just the kids - the whole video was adorable.

Thank you for finding it.

CaroLiza_fan

The credit for the video goes to lady_bee. I just followed the link.
Let's hope someone with the same passion and vision will take over where Chris left off.