USFS: Chief says figure skating does not have culture of sexual abuse | Golden Skate

USFS: Chief says figure skating does not have culture of sexual abuse

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chief says figure skating does not have culture of sexual abuse
by Christine Brennan

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oes-not-have-sexual-abuse-problem/4582959002/

US Figure Skating chief David Raith:

“We look at it as a societal issue,” he said. “It’s not just us. It’s every sport, it’s other facets of life. We’re doing everything we can to help educate, to help proactively ensure that our small membership in the big world is aware of things they should be looking out for and bad people and things to do right and things to keep everybody safe because it is a topic now that is on everybody’s mind and we accept that. You can never do enough. But we’re trying to do everything we can. For me, the No. 1 thing is that you support survivors and you believe in survivors

:bang:

Ashley Wagner calls BS. So does Tai Babilonia.

In the midst of all this, Raith is not wrong that it is a societal problem:

“There also has been the continuing case of veteran U.S. coach Richard Callaghan, who led Tara Lipinski to the 1998 Olympic gold medal. After being banned for life in August by SafeSport for the alleged sexual abuse of a male student, beginning when the boy was 14, Callaghan, 73, had his suspension reduced to three years by an arbitrator in December. "

If it were not societal, Callaghan would still be banned for life.

Last edited:
I do not fault Mr. Raith for pointing out that this is a bigger problem than just figure skating. Is John Coughlin a worse person than scoundrels of the entertainment industry like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby? Is Richard Callaghan worse than ministers, priests and cult leaders who abuse their authority over the vulnerable?

Does figure skating promote a "culture of abuse" any more than cultural and societal norms in general do?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is it me, or is anyone else wondering why the OP's article from Jan 27 is being revisited today as the subject of a brand-new thread?

The culture within figure skating re grooming and abuse is an important topic on an ongoing basis. (I absolutely am not questioning that.)

But ... was this article not discussed on GS at the time of publication almost two months ago?
Do GS members have new insights/thoughts to share since then? (Future responses to this thread will give me an answer.)

BTW, I think it is worth noting that yesterday Professional Skaters Association put out a timely reminder re SafeSport and online communication:

Coaches are finding a variety of ways to communicate information in order to help students stay mentally and physically fit during this time. Some are offering virtual lessons with athletes while ice rinks are closed in response to COVID-19.
Please note the following from the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport Handbook regarding online lessons: “Two-Deep leadership must be met by having two "adults" online with a minor athlete pursuant to the Electronic Communication Policy"
More information on Two-Deep Leadership, One-On-One Interactions & Electronic Communication and Social Media can be found in the handbook on pages 5 & 6.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97DRxZJh1F/ (Mar 19)​

brightphoton

Medalist
I do not fault Mr. Raith for pointing out that this is a bigger problem than just figure skating. Is John Coughlin a worse person than scoundrels of the entertainment industry like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby? Is Richard Callaghan worse than ministers, priests and cult leaders who abuse their authority over the vulnerable?

Does figure skating promote a "culture of abuse" any more than cultural and societal norms in general do?

Who cares? What is this, the abuse Olympics?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have a culture of eating disorders that they are completely ignoring as well. GRACIE was skating in front of a NOOM ad. I was just...ok they are so tone deaf it isn't funny.`

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have a culture of eating disorders that they are completely ignoring as well. GRACIE was skating in front of a NOOM ad. I was just...ok they are so tone deaf it isn't funny.`

I'm not certain how I feel about this. The little I know about Noom suggests that it encourages healthy eating, including proper portion control, understanding the psychological impulses that cause some people to overeat unhealthy foods... that sort of thing. It's not a fad diet.

And, sad to say, most Americans are overweight, and a shocking proportion qualify as obese. They do need help.

From a financial perspective, USFSA has to get sponsors where it can, and those sponsors have a right to recognition. In this case, a banner.

It's actually not as bad as when I was younger, and Virginia Slims sponsored the women's tennis tour.

The point of Noom is to help average people improve their health by losing weight sensibly.

The point of Virginia Slims was to encourage women to shout "Hear me Roar!" while they developed lung cancer.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not certain how I feel about this. The little I know about Noom suggests that it encourages healthy eating, including proper portion control, understanding the psychological impulses that cause some people to overeat unhealthy foods... that sort of thing. It's not a fad diet.

And, sad to say, most Americans are overweight, and a shocking proportion qualify as obese. They do need help.

From a financial perspective, USFSA has to get sponsors where it can, and those sponsors have a right to recognition. In this case, a banner.

It's actually not as bad as when I was younger, and Virginia Slims sponsored the women's tennis tour.

The point of Noom is to help average people improve their health by losing weight sensibly.

The point of Virginia Slims was to encourage women to shout "Hear me Roar!" while they developed lung cancer.

I know exactly how I feel about thus. Noom encourages a 1200 calorie diet, which the WHO classifies as a starvation diet. I am fat myself so I looked into it. Weight Watchers works much better for me. At any rate, I think the only thing that would have made me cringe more would have been to see her kneeling in front of a box of laxatives.

Cigarettes and alcohol used to sponsor many sports. Not just women’s tennis. When you know better you do better.

GF2445

Record Breaker
USFS Chief: "Figure skating does not have culture of sexual abuse"

Me: "Oh, B----- please."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Any organization, whether it's a Hollywood studio, a Catholic Church, or a sports federation, is failing if it isn't holding predators, and those who know about the abusive behavior and do nothing, accountable. Those who turn a blind eye to the problems may not be doing the criminal act, but they are just as responsible for its persistence.