Summer Olympics, will they cancel or. not? | Golden Skate

Summer Olympics, will they cancel or. not?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada is the first to say they won’t send a team.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Of course they will cancel. The worldwide disruption is already too much to continue with the event.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Of course they will cancel. The worldwide disruption is already too much to continue with the event.

Here is their statement this weekend. Unless this virus disappears as fast as the SARS 2003 one (highly unlikely) I have no idea how they could let it go forward. It would have to die out all over the world and not take off in the southern hemisphere. And even if it was on the way out, this one event could actually spike a relapse. Hard to see how they could postpone it and for how long, but stranger things have happened. There is one and only one way I feel it could go on, and that is if one of the cures now under trial actually works and the meds in those cures can be made fast enough to achieve world wide distribution very quickly. Its a nice dream, anyway.
https://www.olympic.org/news/health...rio-planning-for-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They have been quite insistent they will hold them no matter what. Last I heard was that they would make a decision in a month's time. I do think they would hold it later though. The infrastructure is in place.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Postponing them for another year would seem like the best option.

The Australian team won't be attending the Olympics for the first time if they still went ahead this year and have been told to still train in case of them being held in 2021.

For an athlete in any sport, this would be just the worst being told you can't attend after spending years training for the very moment, especially for those in certain sports that have age limits with being at their peak and may only get one shot at going to the Olympics :(

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Canada NOC already cancelled its participation in 2020 Summer Olympic Games?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Are there some sanctions for such actions IOC can implement on them?

You mean IOC to force Canada NOC to participate?

AFAIK, leading individual athletes are also threatening to cancel their participation if the Games take place unchanged when the crisis still hasn't been subdued.

All kinds of pressure on IOC ...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

AFAIK, leading individual athletes are also threatening to cancel their participation if the Games take place unchanged when the crisis still hasn't been subdued.

I can’t imagine. Many countries have not participated over the years for political reasons. I’d be shocked if there were sanctions imposed on a country for not participating because there is a pandemic. Participation is voluntary, not mandatory.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I can guarantee there will be no repercussions on countries that dont participate if this even goes forward.. Its A- like Moonvine said its voluntary, not mandatory and two.. its not political or anything..its purely safety. I frankly think Canada has lead the way for everyone else by already stating it wont participate. IMO. I feel many many countries will follow suit and they will be forced to postpone the event or hold it with 1/4 of the nations that would of been there under normal circumstances. The problem with this event this year is this is the largest sporting even and international even in the world. You have literally millions of people coming to this in a place that already has BILLION people. Is it really smart to hold this event when it could literally re trigger this pandemic? Probably not.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Australia NOC made the same decision as Canada's.

IOC will expedite its decision making, but it seems the pressure is mounting. now USA falls into the grip of the virus.

Also, there are concerns over athletes wanting to start playing foul now training is limited or cancelled and too little time remains for 'clean' preparation if the Games still proceed according to schedule.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we should strive to still have them but with no audience. The audience can be all of us at home.

Honestly, I think it would be good for the world to still have them in a safe (or at least safer) capacity. The world comes together for the Olympics, isn't that what we need right now?

I think it really could be good for alot of people's metal health right now. The world has to go on. The Olympics are months out. We should be looking at modification, not elimination.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

No, that is not what Christine Brennan's article said.

Per Brennan's article, one well-known member of the IOC was speaking only for himself. Dick Pound was not speaking on behalf of the IOC, and was not making an official announcement of anything.

CBC's quote from Dick Pound, per its article as of an hour ago:

"We're all reading the tea leaves and so on, but the Japanese themselves are talking about postponing. A lot of National Olympic Committees and countries are calling for a postponement."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics-will-be-postponed-1.5506910

According to Pound himself, he is only "reading the tea leaves."

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we should strive to still have them but with no audience. The audience can be all of us at home.

Honestly, I think it would be good for the world to still have them in a safe (or at least safer) capacity. The world comes together for the Olympics, isn't that what we need right now?

I think it really could be good for alot of people's metal health right now. The world has to go on. The Olympics are months out. We should be looking at modification, not elimination.

They can't do that. I don't know if you realize or not, but the Olympics tend to cost the host country a LOT OF MONEY, even with ticket sales. They usually lose a lot. I read a book about how the games in Rio were just an economic catastrophe. https://www.amazon.com/Rio-2016-Oly...id=1585013400&rnid=2941120011&s=books&sr=1-11

If you hold them without spectators, and thus no ticket sales....I just don't think it would be feasible. It wouldn't be like holding Worlds in an already existing venue. They built venues for the Olympics.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

LOL! Ask Jimmy Carter! :agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Evening news tonight. There is a four week window to move the Olys to next year, which after all is the only sane move.
I am sorry if this offends anyone but its the truth...the olys is so much more than 11,000 athletes going out there and competing.
Follow the money.
Over a million hotel nights. And those arent $59 a night rooms.
Lord knows how many meals. 10s of millions.
Broadcast rights.
Commerical advertising during the broadcasts.
Paying for Tara and Johnny.

Pretty soon you would be talking about real money.
The only sane decision is to put it off to next year...and if things ...bad things....are still happening...cancel it.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Evening news tonight. There is a four week window to move the Olys to next year, which after all is the only sane move.
I am sorry if this offends anyone but its the truth...the olys is so much more than 11,000 athletes going out there and competing.
Follow the money.
Over a million hotel nights. And those arent $59 a night rooms.
Lord knows how many meals. 10s of millions.
Broadcast rights.
Commerical advertising during the broadcasts.
Paying for Tara and Johnny.

Pretty soon you would be talking about real money.
The only sane decision is to put it off to next year...and if things ...bad things....are still happening...cancel it.

Spot on!

Ps. Do Johnny and Tara so Summer Olympics too? Poor Americans if they do lol!