Summer Olympics, will they cancel or. not? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Summer Olympics, will they cancel or. not?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Updating this thread with the official decision as of today (Tues Mar 24) to reschedule the Summer Olympics:

... And on Tuesday, it finally became official. ...

The announcement followed telephone conversations between Abe, Bach and their respective teams Tuesday. ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ned-coronavirus-summer-games-2021/2863551001/ (Mar 24)​

Excerpts from today's official statement (Mar 24):

The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Thomas Bach, and the Prime Minister of Japan, Abe Shinzo, held a conference call this morning to discuss the constantly changing environment with regard to COVID-19 and the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.

In the present circumstances and based on the information provided by the WHO today, the IOC President and the Prime Minister of Japan have concluded that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021 ...

https://www.olympic.org/news/joint-...ittee-and-the-tokyo-2020-organising-committee

https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/joint-statement-from-international-olympic-committee-and-tokyo2020

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Reaction of athletes is coming out. Does any other old person on this forum wince when the word, "unprecidented" is used here? I am sorry for the athletes who have trained so hard, loosing a year... but think about the athletes who trained for Finland 1940? They were moved to 1944 but darn it all, that was canceled also...there was a winter Olympics in 1936 and again in 1948.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Reaction of athletes is coming out. Does any other old person on this forum wince when the word, "unprecidented" is used here? I am sorry for the athletes who have trained so hard, loosing a year... but think about the athletes who trained for Finland 1940? They were moved to 1944 but darn it all, that was canceled also...there was a winter Olympics in 1936 and again in 1948.

I had the same reaction to people complaining about being confined to their cruise-ship cabins by disease outbreaks. Especially when they were Brits. Don't you know that your parents/grandparents slept in tube stations EVERY NIGHT for YEARS during the war? With bombs going off outside? And often returned to find their houses were piles of rubble? But being confined to your cabin and waiting an hour for your morning coffee is intolerable? C'mon, guys.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had the same reaction to people complaining about being confined to their cruise-ship cabins by disease outbreaks. Especially when they were Brits. Don't you know that your parents/grandparents slept in tube stations EVERY NIGHT for YEARS during the war? With bombs going off outside? And often returned to find their houses were piles of rubble? But being confined to your cabin and waiting an hour for your morning coffee is intolerable? C'mon, guys.

I know, people are complaining so much...I have infinite possibilities to watch on Fire Stick..I have hundreds of ebooks...I can garden...I can call my mom and dad every day...food is delivered to my door..I ran out of dishwasher tabs and Amazon brought them to me...the cat food is delivered..I could live like this for a long time! I've got an imperfect foods box coming Friday which I am anxious to see how that is..

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm grateful to still be able to take walks around the neighborhood outside during these times! I do that during normal times as well, but especially now!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, people are complaining so much...I have infinite possibilities to watch on Fire Stick..I have hundreds of ebooks...I can garden...I can call my mom and dad every day...food is delivered to my door..I ran out of dishwasher tabs and Amazon brought them to me...the cat food is delivered..I could live like this for a long time! I've got an imperfect foods box coming Friday which I am anxious to see how that is..

Let us know how you liked the imperfect foods box. What did it contain?

Gabby30

On the Ice

What has this to do with people during the war? It doesn't make your situation easier just because your grandparents had a bad time during the war. People paid a lot of money to be on the cruise-ship, and yes, people complain because they want some normality, life as they know it, which is a normal human reaction. In these times, many people experience anxiety and other mental issues because of the lack of freedom and safety, we really shouldn't judge, don't you think?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Imagine the Olympics under 'social distancing' rules? Two empty lanes on the athletics tracks between each runner, no slipstreaming, no coaches within 6 feet, everybody wearing face masks apart from the athletes when their 'go to the start' has been called, and quickly donning masks again after crossing the finish line, no hugging during the lap of honour?

When the Covid-19/20/21? hasn't been contained by then, no Games a sensible person will want to attend for their money?

Sounds silly, but right now, one cannot be sure how things will evolve over the world, esp in the poorer countries with none or insufficient health care to deal with a human catastrophy on such a massive scale

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What has this to do with people during the war? It doesn't make your situation easier just because your grandparents had a bad time during the war. ...

Lately I often find myself thinking about the wartime hardships of previous generations of my family.
For me, thinking about them is absolutely helpful/inspirational as I try to be resilient day by day in our changed world.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let us know how you liked the imperfect foods box. What did it contain?

Sorry, I am just now seeing this. I had problems with the first and second boxes, but they credited me immediately. The most recent box contained:

Conventional Broccoli Crowns (2 ct) 1 $2.29
Conventional Kiwis (4 ct) 1 $1.99
Conventional Celery (1 ct) 1 $1.59
Roth Creamy Gouda Snack Cheese (4.5 oz) 1 $2.99
Marin French Cheese Petite Crème Brie (4 oz) 1 $4.49
La Quercia Sliced Prosciutto (2 oz) 1 $4.99
Conventional Asparagus (1 ct) 1 $2.99
Imperfect Foods - All Natural Smoked Chicken Sausage - Spinach Feta (12 oz) 1 $4.99
Conventional Romaine (1 ct) 1 $1.59
Conventional Cucumber (2 ct) 1 $1.49
Conventional Lemons (2 ct) 1 $0.75

You can customize your box and there are a lot of milk free dairy products and a lot of grains. They also have both organic and conventional products. I will say the Fuji apples I got in my second box were tiny, but so delicious, and now I know I like them (previously I only ate Granny Smiths). You just have to order at least $30 worth. If anyone wants a $10 off code to try it out, feel free to pm me. They have had problems caused by unprecedented demand, but are working hard to solve them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Phil Hersch floated the idea in a tweet that they may not be able to hold the Olympics NEXT YEAR either. I'm VERY worried.