Blade Sizing Question | Golden Skate

Blade Sizing Question

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hey everyone,

This might be a really stupid question about blade size difference. Would a quarter inch mean much of a difference in blades?

I'm about to purchase a new risport royal pro boot size 255 online with a wilson coronation ace (which go in quarters). I would've bought them in store if not for the pandemic. I got fitted in store as well so hopefully no problems in sizing. Also, there's a huge sale with boots and blades at the pro shop's online store :laugh:

I am not sure if I should get a 9.5 or a 9.75. The blade sizing charts are quite different from each other. Links are also there for reference
1. Risport website: 9.5"
2.0 Skaters landing with chart from Risport: 9.5-9.75"
2.1 Skaters Landing: 9.75'
3. Kinzie's closet: 9.75"
4. Edea chart (I just checked since I was thinking of getting chorus as well): 9.75"
5. If we look at the 1/3 sizing: everyone says 9 and 2/3.

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
I would trust Risport's website but also seek advice from the online shop. If the boot measures 9.75" inches from heel to sole, you'll likely need a 9.5" blade. Hopefully the pro shop's online store has customer service available during this time. Furthermore, you might be able to contact Risport's customers service.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you want to play it safe, you need to have the actual boot in hand first, measure the boot length, and then order the proper blade size. If you don't want to do that because there's a limited-time sale, find out whether unused blades are returnable without a substantial restocking charge (you'll probably need to pay return shipping though). If so, then order both blades, keep the one that fits, and return the other one.

I don't know how accurate the Risport chart is. The Jackson chart gave me a blade length that was 1/4" too short for my model boot and size. Many manufacturer's charts have a caveat to the effect: "This chart is for initial guidance only. Always measure the actual boot to be sure."

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Many manufacturer's charts have a caveat to the effect: "This chart is for initial guidance only. Always measure the actual boot to be sure."

I have always been VERY curious about this - does it mean there are lots of manufacturing variances? I would have thought manufacturing tolerances would need to be really tight for something as precision as a skating boot.
In practice, do you see actual variation? I know every time we get new boots a tape measure comes out......

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have always been VERY curious about this - does it mean there are lots of manufacturing variances? I would have thought manufacturing tolerances would need to be really tight for something as precision as a skating boot.
In practice, do you see actual variation? I know every time we get new boots a tape measure comes out......

Haven't a clue what the manufacturing variations are. I have a feeling the disclaimer covers design changes to the boots (without corresponding updates to the blade sizing charts) and outright mistakes in the charts.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
If you want to play it safe, you need to have the actual boot in hand first, measure the boot length, and then order the proper blade size. If you don't want to do that because there's a limited-time sale, find out whether unused blades are returnable without a substantial restocking charge (you'll probably need to pay return shipping though). If so, then order both blades, keep the one that fits, and return the other one.

I don't know how accurate the Risport chart is. The Jackson chart gave me a blade length that was 1/4" too short for my model boot and size. Many manufacturer's charts have a caveat to the effect: "This chart is for initial guidance only. Always measure the actual boot to be sure."

The store is quite close by so return isn't really a problem. The proshop got back to me (after 6 days), and told me they'll honor the sale price in store once they're up and running again.

Just for future reference, can you give an example of a boot length to proper blade size? like if the boot is 9 inches long, the blade size I should get is 9 inches as well?

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada

Right! :scratch2: If you take a look just at the risport chart. On the 1/3 blade chart, a 10 inch blade is good for size 260-265. But if you check the 1/4 chart a 10 inch blade is good for size 270-275. Which doesn't make any sense as they're both 10 inches. That's why I consulted the experts at this forum if they know something about this.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Blade should typically be 1/4" shorter than the actual boot sole length. That's why it's important to have your particular boots in hand to measure the soles.

Good luck! :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just for future reference, can you give an example of a boot length to proper blade size? like if the boot is 9 inches long, the blade size I should get is 9 inches as well?

(1) For traditional boots, the manufacturer’s guideline is that the target blade length should be 1/4” less than the boot length (measured along the bottom outside from front-most tip of sole to rear-most back of heel).

(2) Edea boots have shorter lengths than traditional boots of comparable size. Edea's guideline is that the target blade length should be equal to the boot length.

(3) Other manufacturers have introduced Edea-like models to compete with Edea. So you should check the guideline for a particular model, not just a particular manufacturer.

(4) Most blades these days come in 1/4” increments (see below for exceptions); whereas boots come in finer increments. If the boot length is 9”, no problem: 8-3/4” blade length for traditional fit, 9” blade length for Edea fit. But what if the boot length is 9-1/8”? You then have a choice of blade length of 9” or 8-3/4” for traditional fit; 9-1/4” or 9” for Edea fit. For traditional fit, some techs believe the blade must be at least 1/4” shorter than the boot; they would choose 8-3/4”. Other techs believe at least 1/8” shorter is OK; they prefer a longer length, and would choose 9”. I don’t know what Edea fitters would do.

(5) You also mentioned blades with 1/3” increments. As far as I’m aware, the only current blades with 1/3” increments are low-end beginner blades. I do sometimes come across new old stock MK blades in 1/3” increments. If you find a suitable blade in the right size at a rock-bottom price, it’s worth considering.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Boots - like clothing - are made by human beings and things do vary. My first pair of SP-Teris were beige, not because I wanted beige - I didn't! - but because they simply fitted more comfortably than the white pair in the same size. I also discovered that the fit varied depending upon who at the factory actually made them, and it was possible to tell because each boot was signed underneath the footbed, which I thought was lovely.

I just bought new boots which are way smaller than the size on the sole and box. I currently wear a pair of 4.5 Grafs, which are bigger than ideal but have been lovely coaching slippers. I bought the size 4.5 new ones at a very advantageous price as the store selling them had discovered they are smaller than the usual 4.5. That's probably a bit of an understatement, as they are a lot smaller! Back to foot coffins for me... :rolleye: The soles, however, are the same length and my current blades will transfer.

I would always either have the store measure the sole and supply the appropriate sized blade, or if I ordered them from different places, then I'd get the boot first and measure it myself before ordering blades.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Thank you everyone for this. You all are really helpful! :hap85: :pray: :luv17: I did check my current skates and they are about a quarter inch smaller than the sole length.