Streaming in the Age of Shelter in Place | Golden Skate

Streaming in the Age of Shelter in Place

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I am on the hunt for new shows. And maybe you are too:biggrin:
I'm old school. Not edgy, not dark, fantasy only in the confines of old fashioned SciFi. (I looooove the Orville. Seen all the Star Treks too many times to count. ;) )

So is there anything out there for me? Don't assume I saw it if it aired ten years on commercial TV, I'm only now watching "Bones" (and I like it).

And what kind of shows would you like recommendations about?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can watch Friday Night Lights and count how many times you see me (I was an extra).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, I am on the hunt for new shows. And maybe you are too:biggrin:
I'm old school. Not edgy, not dark, fantasy only in the confines of old fashioned SciFi. (I looooove the Orville. Seen all the Star Treks too many times to count. ;) )

So is there anything out there for me? Don't assume I saw it if it aired ten years on commercial TV, I'm only now watching "Bones" (and I like it).

If you are tempted by Ye Olde Space Opera, the whole 52 episodes of the very very British SF series Blakes 7 is on youtube :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDd1zO9F1I&list=PLAPGcD5LGrp6WZOZyH1y3dkxi2eTxXi74

The first eppy sets it up but is very different in feel from the rest (no Avon! - sorry, my first fannish love is coming out there) and the last episode... no spoilers, but no apologies either, but it was famous in its time.

Also my latest discovery - the first series of the recent equally very very British time travel sitcom Timewasters (read the warnings, but)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4omeN2Lij6o&list=PL-H58XWtxM0Mx1AM_y2hXfNE6KTgkTVJs&index=2

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you are a Star Trek fan, you should try Picard. It's streaming free for everyone now and the first season just ended.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you are a Star Trek fan, you should try Picard. It's streaming free for everyone now and the first season just ended.

I just signed up to Amazon Prime free trial so I could watch The Test docuseries and saw this show being advertised as well. I might give it a crack, I'm not a die-hard trekkie but Picard is my favourite character.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I didn't know about the free streaming. :thank:(we are sticking with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime for now).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok so I am going to list my top 10 and what I’m currently watching. Some won’t meet your requirements but may suit others.

1. Friday Night Lights
2. Joan of Arcadia
3. American Crime (I discovered Connor Jessup here
4. Game of Thrones (this would be higher but was SO gory I could only deal with it because it was just so good). The books were easier to deal with
5. Rectify
6. The Man in the High Castle
7. Jericho
8. The Magicians
9. My So Called Life
10. Code Black

Stuff I’m really enjoying right now:

Evil
Prodigal Son
The Resident
New Amsterdam
The Good Doctor
For All Mankind
The 100

Netflix
Last Chance U
The Order
Between
Merlin
Legacies
The 4400

Recently ended

Criminal Minds
The Mentalist
Stargate franchise

Apple TV+

See
For All Mankind.

There’s tons more I’m sure.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't want ones that just meet my requirements@moonvine; that was just an introduction, I want to see what anyone else is watching too:agree: For example, what is New Amsterdam or the Resident about?

And is Last Chance U the one with some coach named Jason Brown? Which makes my social media and web searching for Jason info (not the coach;)) more difficult?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't want ones that just meet my requirements@moonvine; that was just an introduction, I want to see what anyone else is watching too:agree: For example, what is New Amsterdam or the Resident about?

And is Last Chance U the one with some coach named Jason Brown? Which makes my social media and web searching for Jason info (not the coach;)) more difficult?

New Amsterdam and the Resident are both medical dramas. I have a thing for medical dramas.

And season 1 and 2 of Last Chance U were Coach Buddy Stevenson, 3 and 4 Coach Jason Brown. It is so popular they’re coming out with a scripted drama based on it. It really is quite compelling, at least to me. About kids who didn’t make the grades or test scores to play Division I ball, and this is literally their last chance.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was a "streaming in the age of ..." article in our paper's TV guide today. It suggested one which I not only recommend with all my heart, but honestly, I wish everyone everywhere would see: "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood."

Just a note: it's not a biopic of Mr. Rogers. The actual story is about a based on/fictional journalist played by Matthew Rhys, one of my favorite actors. He does not disappoint.

Tom Hanks is beyond wonderful as Fred Rogers. He said in an interview that as a kid, he related much more to the spoofs of Mr. R. Now he realizes he was older than the target age.

There are two scenes in this movie which are beyond sublime, literally heartthrobbing. Tom and Matthew said when they filmed one of them, they weren't even sure they could do it, but the director, Marielle Heller, had this vision of it.

I first saw this movie in a theater so full that my son and I had to sit on the front row. I didn't realize till it ended that no one in the audience had made a sound throughout.. We were spellbound.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just in case anyone is not yet aware:

Starting tomorrow, Sat Mar 28, the ISU will be streaming 2018 Worlds for free.

The schedule is at the link below, and the Skating ISU YouTube channel already has all the individual links (so it is possible to click to get a reminder for each day's streaming).

https://isu.org/figure-skating/news...e-skating-championships-2018?templateParam=15 (Mar 27)​

For opera fans:

The Metropolitan Opera has been offering nightly streaming of encore presentations from the company’s Live in HD series.

The schedule goes through Apr 5 (so far?):

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

This thread seemed like the best place to mention streaming other than shows :) as well as shows.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ESPN+ has a 7 week free trial. In my opinion they do an excellent job on their 30 for 30 series and movies.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
@moonvine do you like The Magicians too? that could male 2 of us in the world :laugh:

@El Henry, how about Doctor Who?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tried Dr. Who in the David Tennant era, and I didn't get it :hopelessness: I may try again.

Even though I am far from a fashionista, I enjoyed the early Project Runways, so I may try "Making the Cut" on Amazon with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.

humbaba

Final Flight
I didn't know about the free streaming. :thank:(we are sticking with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime for now).

If you haven't yet, you might want to check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. It's a series about a young woman struggling to build a career as a stand-up comedian in circa 1960 New York City. It's funny, with great characters and dialogue, plus incredible costume design. Nothing too intense or offensive -- some sprinkling of the f-word and sexual references.

Don't think anyone has mentioned one of my favorite series of all time, Better Call Saul. Past seasons are on Netflix. New episodes are currently on AMC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another vote for Mrs. Maisel. My whole family loved it.

And if you ever liked a Terry Pratchett book, I really liked Good Omens on Amazon prime.

I really like the Father Brown series (it has many seasons. Sometimes on Netflix, sometimes on Prime). If it has not all moved to Britbox yet, I plan to rewatch.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3 seasons of Victoria, which aired on PBS in the US and is available on Amazon Prime.
3 seasons of Unforgotten, another British production aired on PBS, also on prime. The concept: Is it ever too late to investigate a cold case of murder, even from 40 years past?

Has anyone NOT seen Downton Abbey? I found it fascinating that Julian Fellowes got some of his plots and gossips from his great-aunt, who lived in that era (she was Lady Mary's age), and from researching old private diaries, etc. Also, his original idea came from playing "what if," wondering what the lives would be like, in middle age, of the young American girls who went title-hunting with their daddies' fortunes in the 1880s and 90s. The first 3 seasons were very good.

Another vote for Mrs. Maisel.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m adding stuff onto my master list, but currently obsessed with a show called See on Apple TV +. It’s about an alternate world where everyone is blind until a few sighted people start to be born. Of course it has Jason Momoa in it so it wouldn’t really matter what it was about...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@moonvine do you like The Magicians too? that could male 2 of us in the world :laugh:

@El Henry, how about Doctor Who?

It’s actually hugely popular for a SYFY show, which is obviously different from being hugely popular on say, CBS. I’m annoyed they’ve killed off Quentin, though.