Streaming in the Age of Shelter in Place | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Streaming in the Age of Shelter in Place

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can watch Friday Night Lights and count how many times you see me (I was an extra).

How will I recognize you? I've never seen FNL, so this is tempting :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s actually hugely popular for a SYFY show, which is obviously different from being hugely popular on say, CBS. I’m annoyed they’ve killed off Quentin, though.

I read the book, and Quentin was my favorite character, so I guess you've saved me some time ...

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I tried Dr. Who in the David Tennant era, and I didn't get it :hopelessness: I may try again.

Even though I am far from a fashionista, I enjoyed the early Project Runways, so I may try "Making the Cut" on Amazon with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.

try the Smith era, you might like it better. on Amazon there's also Carnival Row, with Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevigne, i loved it; the Terror is also a good show

It’s actually hugely popular for a SYFY show, which is obviously different from being hugely popular on say, CBS. I’m annoyed they’ve killed off Quentin, though.

his death is functional to the developement of some characters in the show though and also fits one of the main themes of the sotry, copying with loss. honestly i liked Quentin but his death doesn't bother me so much as Alice's, who i actually hate a lot :laugh:, resilience. i do love Elliot from the bottom of my heart :biggrin:

I read the book, and Quentin was my favorite character, so I guess you've saved me some time ...

book Quentin is a different character form TV Quentin, i like book Quentin a lot more than his tv version, also the story is loosely based on Grossman's books, sometimes is a total different story, but you know what? it's good in its own way

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I catch MIDSOMER MURDERS whenever I can though I have see every episode ever made..
GOOD OMENS was a hoot.. I loved it!! VERA is another favorite as is BOB (HEARTS) ABISHOLA, BULL, ENDEAVOUR. Waiting for Season Two of A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES to appear.

I have taken to some of the series from other countries, subtitled of course, tho I am amazed at how much I understand without reading...

Thou Shalt Not Kill (Italy)
Professor T (Belgium)
Modus (Sweden)

Documentary series are interesting depending on subject..
NOVA
NATURE
FAKE OR FORTUNE?
AMERICAN MASTERS
GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW
And I highly recommend the 2 part nature series IRELAND'S WILD COAST if you stumble across it... very beautifully done..

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Currently watching old British Baking shows I had on the PVR. I prefer it when Sue, Mel and Mary where on.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I read the books and prefer the show, but whichever I see/read first I tend to prefer. It’s been on for...4 seasons now I think? So it’s moved beyond the books

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I read the books and prefer the show, but whichever I see/read first I tend to prefer. It’s been on for...4 seasons now I think? So it’s moved beyond the books

i it came back to the books, the last season is (loosely) based on the last book

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ICYMI: Today the ISU announced an expanded streaming schedule (beyond 2018 Worlds).

Streaming of 2019 Worlds will begin on April 15. Full schedule here:

The Skating ISU YouTube channel already has all the individual links for 2019 Worlds.
(With the "reminder" buttons, which I like.)

The new schedule includes 2018 Synchro Worlds and 2019 Synchro Worlds as well.

Also Speed Skating and Short Track.

Cirque du Soleil has been increasing its online content. "Now more than ever, we want to do our little part to spread joy, even from afar, directly to your safe spaces."

For example, a sixty-minute online special will premiere on YouTube at 3 pm ET today (i.e., in approx. thirty minutes).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How will I recognize you? I've never seen FNL, so this is tempting :)

You won't, sorry to say. I'd have to come to your house and identify myself since I know where I am. If you were to buy the DVDs, the back of my head plays a featured part in one of the deleted scenes, but I don't expect you to buy the dvds to view the back of my head:) It is an excellent show in and of itself, though.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm running out of things to watch.

I have: Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, ESPN plus, Apple Plus, HBO and Showtime. And of course NBC Sports Gold.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm running out of things to watch.

I have: Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, ESPN plus, Apple Plus, HBO and Showtime. And of course NBC Sports Gold.

ISU free stream of 2018 Worlds is up! And a stream of 2019 Worlds goes up starting April 15. With, watch parties here on Goldenskate!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We watched, on Amazon Prime, all six seasons of The Americans.

It stars Keri Russell (Felicity) and Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) as married with children Soviet spies, in 1981, who've been living and working in the US for 15 years or more. Top to bottom, it's one of the very best series I've seen. It's oriented in character, although the spying storylines and scenes are also riveting and complicated. Just a really interesting, thought-provoking watch. It ran from 2013-2018.

Here's a TEASER for the first episode -- I'll scroll down .....

An FBI counterintelligence agent moves in across the street from them.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
^I binged The Americans on Amazon Prime last year - SO good!! Highly recommend!

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, I am on the hunt for new shows. And maybe you are too:biggrin:
I'm old school. Not edgy, not dark, fantasy only in the confines of old fashioned SciFi. (I looooove the Orville. Seen all the Star Treks too many times to count. ;) )

So is there anything out there for me? Don't assume I saw it if it aired ten years on commercial TV, I'm only now watching "Bones" (and I like it).

And what kind of shows would you like recommendations about?

Some of my favorite old movies:
- The Song of Bernadette (1943, starring Jennifer Jones)
- Life with Father (1947, starring: Irene Dunne, William Powell, Elizabeth Taylor)
- Support Your Local Sheriff (1969, starring James Garner)
- Donovan's Reef (1963, starring John Wayne)
- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962, starring John Wayne and James Stewart)
- Yours, Mine & Ours (1968, starring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved the Song of Bernadette, but I tend to love those kids of old style dramatics.

And jumping off to talk about the other recommendations in the thread, I loved the first three or four seasons of the Americans. But then (and I won’t say more because it’s just my opinion and no spoilers) it took a turn concentrating on characters other than the main couple, and I didn’t care. Too ponderous. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell were amazing though.

And speaking of British actors with American accents nailed, I thoroughly enjoyed “House”, but I’ve already seen all the episodes twice:)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And speaking of British actors with American accents nailed, I thoroughly enjoyed “House”, but I’ve already seen all the episodes twice:)

I think my BIL has seen all the episodes at least 14 times. And he doesn't even watch them in order. Just whatever is on at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

ISU free stream of 2018 Worlds is up! And a stream of 2019 Worlds goes up starting April 15. With, watch parties here on Goldenskate!

How about 1979 Worlds with Tai and Randy? I could go for that:)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Y'all! I totally totally forgot my parents got me this for Christmas! It is amazing. HIghly recommend. I always wondered how they got skating rinks back in the old days. Turns out they literally dug a hole in the snow, filled it up with water and shored up the sides with..boards. I saw Dick Button's winning performance, or part of it. More than the 3 second grainy loop that's on YouTube. https://www.amazon.com/Years-Olympi...rion+collection+blu+ray+olympi,aps,193&sr=8-1