What we miss/love the most about skating | Golden Skate

What we miss/love the most about skating

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
While rink closures are necessary to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus and thus not overwhelm our health care systems, it is still understandably difficult for all of us. I thought it would be nice to share what we all miss the most about skating and what we are looking forward to when we are able to return.

For me the thing I miss the most is how I feel when I'm skating- as someone who has struggled with depression, skating is the one thing I do where no matter how I am feeling everything else goes away. It brings me so much joy. Beyond that the friendships I have made through skating are invaluable and I value the personal challenge of working to improve and how rewarding it is when you accomplish something you've worked really hard at.

I look forward to everyone's answers. Remember- we will skate again!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Everything, but the one thing that stands out the most to me is jumping, the feeling of the whole package from entrance to landing. The other day, I was watching a video and saw (name redacted so it doesn't seem like bragging) do a little warm-up single jump. Her rotation speed and soft, floaty landing reminded me of my jumps, and I think it activated my muscle memory or something, because it felt a bit like I had jumped, too. I actually teared up a bit because of how much I miss it.

On the bright side, my brain threw me a bone at let me have a dream about skating, which I'll share here to offer something cheerful. I was in some kind of beginner hockey class in my Debuts but with some kind of magic blades that transformed into hockey blades when I was in the lesson and went back to my usual CAs when I wanted to figure skate (or just not wobble like a drunk baby giraffe). I was barely able to stay upright and was really embarrassed, so I did a fancy twirl into a waltz jump into another fancy twirl into a scratch spin. It felt just like real skating. :biggrin: And as is wont to happen in real life as well, no one was watching. :laugh:

My dream-spin was much, much better than my real spins, so scratch spins will be the first thing I practice when the rinks reopen.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
There are two things actually. First is that feeling on the ice. Like what the OP said, everytime I step onto the ice, all the things I keep thinking about goes away. All my worries about my career, school, and everything else just disappears. I just focus on getting better. The other thing is getting new skates. Breaking them in might be a pain but we all like shiny new stuff especially when you worked hard for it. :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The feeling of the ice. And well for those like me: Working and making money to survive.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The feeling of the ice. And well for those like me: Working and making money to survive.

Yes! I miss the freedom and challenge of the ice, the feeling of unbridled joy when just enjoying the rhythm and pattern of a dance or field move.

I'd just taken the first steps towards getting my professional coaching licence again (obviously it went out of the window when I wrecked my right leg and didn't skate for 18 years) so that's going to take even longer. There's a whole new section of stuff to learn on the ice now (Field Moves weren't a thing back then) so I have to pass a lot more tests. I'm really, really looking forward to getting to grips with those.

Also, I bought new boots 2 weeks ago. They're much smaller than my current "coaching slippers" but in order to do those Field Moves justice, I need more snugly fitting boots and there's no longer enough support in my Graf Dance, which have lasted an unprecedented 2 years. Whilst I can wear the new ones (Edmonton Specials) in the house to help them mould to my feet, it's really not the same as skating in them and breaking them in properly. Still, on Wednesdays, I have an online/WhatsApp meet up with my Wednesday Coach & Skate gang, where we all drink coffee and most people put their boots on and take ridiculous pictures of themselves in their kitchens or wherever. It's hilarious and lovely to keep the connection and support going. I also send them links and recommendations for off-ice classes and training so that we can all get/keep in shape in preparation for our return to the ice. I'm aiming to be slimmer, fitter and stretchier by the time that happens. And we'll gloss over the fact I'm now on Level 203 of Solitaire... :slink:

As my work is based around skating (I make skating and dancewear), it's all come to abrupt stop. My main fabric supplier has closed up for the duration so even working on samples is difficult without the exact fabrics I need. I'm very broke and sad right now but at least I'm healthy and safe. This, too, shall pass.

oldsk8er

Rinkside
I just miss skating! As with others the release and joy I feel when I get on the ice is just heaven to me. Not to mention the workout I get. Also my granddaughter has taken to ice skating as well and that has been "our thing" to do, just the two of us. I miss seeing the joy on her face.

I was just getting back into skating-- with some frustrations (LOL)
With advice from here ( thank-you everyone) am patiently waiting for new boots/ Coronation Ace blades to come in. Heck, they are probably here just pro shop is closed! But patiently waiting for the day when I can try them on and try them out on the ice! I'm not giving up.

This may sound weird, but, crazy as it is I miss the smell of the rink ( not the sweaty stink ) but the ice.
At least I can get spring cleaning done and yard work going so that will free time up when the rinks open back up. Then, that is more ice time......YEAHHHHH!!

Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I miss the feeling of just stepping out onto the ice from the rubber mats and skating over to the boards to set my tote down. I miss practicing all of my different skills. I miss the cathartic feeling of skating after a long or particularly stressful day.

Annie122

Rinkside
I miss working on skills, I miss focusing on a process. When I'm skating I have to shut down all the distractions and the thoughts of where I'm going career-wise or what I'm stressed about as OP said "everything else goes away."

I miss the other adult skaters in my class who are nothing but encouraging, kind, and supportive. Some of them are in healthcare and I worry about them. A couple of them convinced almost the entire class to sign up for the ice show this year (which hasn't been cancelled, but likely won't happen)

The skating director sent out a link of ways to practice off ice aimed at the average skate school demographic, mainly balance work, visualizing etc... but the funniest suggestion to me was to "practice spins on carpet with a piece of aluminum foil" The scientist in me doesn't understand how that would work--- coefficient of friction seems like it'd still be too high to spin.

I've been telling myself not to buy roller blades because I'd like to avoid finding myself in the ER anytime soon.

The uncertainty won't last forever is my current mantra. Hope everyone stays safe

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just miss skating. Usually I skate all year on wednesday evenings, except for one month in summer (app. 15th July-15th August) when the rink is closed down. But now I'll have to wait until Oktober at the earliest. And roller skates and doing spins on the floor aren't really a substitute as the feel is so different.

Ducky

On the Ice

Oof, are you furloughed?

I miss that skating is the one time I really focus on a singular thing and stop thinking of my personal issues. It's really the only time my head is really clear (unless the personal stuff is too much and then it's fall city.)

I also never realized how much energy skating takes: my winter weekend routine is to spend a few hours on the ice and then get a deconstructed avocado toast from a local brunch spot (toast, side of avocado, side of scrambled eggs) which never really filled me up. Over this weekend I made one for myself and was completely full. It was a revelation that the reason I was so ravenous was the skating.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

Professionals are who I feel the worst for. For all of you I hope for a safe and soon resolution.